How old are you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
December 21, 2012.

Welll, at least I'll be a doctor before I die, damn Mayans.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
depending on your major, it's extremely difficult to get through a bachelor's program and satisfy pre-med requirements in 4 years. I'm majoring in zoology. My major requires ~130 hours, and then I have a few hours of pre-med classes outside of that. To get through all that in 4 years without summer classes I would have to take about 17 hours a semester.
For someone majoring in anything non-science (or even some sciences that don't line up as well with pre-med requirements) They would have to satisfy ~130 hours for their major PLUS upwards of 30 hours for pre-med, which is just short of impossible to do in 4 years without summer classes, and still extremely difficult with summer classes.
the point- you're not really expected to get it all done in 4 years.

Ahh, I can't tell you how nice it is to read other people discuss the fact that it isn't unusual for an undergrad degree to take more than 4 years, for many reasons. I'm feeling a lot of pressure from my school (community college!) to 'hurry up and transfer,' even though I'm not nearly done with all of my pre-requisites for the programs I'm applying for. That, AND my pre-med pre-reqs.

I wasn't sweating it until my bonehead counselor at school told me to just finish ASAP . . . whatever happened to studying what you love, and balancing out classes, so that you can ENJOY what you're learning??

Anyways, this thread gives me hope.

And I'm 24. Plenty of time for everything.

I'm 20 years old, and a junior in college and it might take me an extra semester/2 semesters to graduate (imma bio major).
well if it means anything, i was once 20 years old as well.
im glad things worked out the way they did, or i wouldnt be where i am right now and applying to medical schools.

im glad things worked out the way they did, or i wouldnt be where i am right now and applying to medical schools.

Whoa, Oglesby, this is too weird! I was once 20 years old as well! We have so much in common!!!

I was 20 for about a hundred years. It seemed that 21 would never come.

Ok this is just too weird. I was 20 once too!!!!! :eek:

NO! you are kidding me.....I wonder how many others suffered from this condition?

NO! you are kidding me.....I wonder how many others suffered from this condition?
*raising hand*

*getting out of chair and standing up*.... Hi, my name is Ryan. I was once 20 years old. I have now quit that habit and moved on. For the better

*clapping and cheers from group....* Congratulations!!!

Based on my repeated attempts and subsequent allo waitlists, there was a time when I was almost certain that it would take a toe-tag to get me into med school.

issue02-4.jpg

I'm somewhat relieved that's not my situation afterall. :D

+100,000,000,000. I totally agree. I am so glad I didnt go straight into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeehaw!!!!

THIS IS MY 100th POST!

Yippee!!!

Now, I am not longer a little kid and now can play with the big kids. hehehe
Dont celebrate too hard, grandpa, you might hurt something. ;)

Assuming the OP wanted an answer to the "how old are you" thing, I'm old enough to be your mother and I'll be kicking your a** in med school. Study hard, kiddo.

LMAO - that's perfect!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

to be 21 or 22 to start medical school is not to old, in fact I would venture to say it is too young

I totally agree. Be something other than a student all your life before you start med school. You and your classmates will appreciate it! :laugh:

I started med school > 35. If someone is 22 and thinks they are too old to do anything, they really are young.

I'm 23. I would have liked to started right after graduating but I decided I would rather have a year to get my application in order. And considering all the applications, essays, interviews, etc I'm glad I didn't attempt it while in my senior year. It's also really nice not having classes right now. I'll be refreshed before school starts back again. But I don't see any problem with going straight to med school. Tons of people do it here but we also have a med school here. And I graduated with a BS degree in four years and if I didn't take three minors I could have finished in 3.5

I think it totally depends on the school, I just had one major and finished in 2.5-3 yrs (left school after 2.5 actually FINISHED at 3) but I went to a private school that is motivated to get their students out quickly so they can make money and help pay for the schools extensive landscaping. I know people that have gone to larger state schools that struggle to get out in five because of class availability, so it just completely depends on how will and able your school is to work with you

^^^ :laugh:

...here's Dr MidLife with the OP :beat:

December 21, 2012.

The worst part of that date is that i'll have only been out of school for a couple months.. i spend all the time in school.. and the world will end. bummer.:mad:

at least i'll get to be there for my fiance's bday the day before:p