How old are you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 20 years old, and a junior in college and it might take me an extra semester/2 semesters to graduate (imma bio major).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 20 years old, and a junior in college and it might take me an extra semester/2 semesters to graduate (imma bio major).

Congratulations?

I don't know what your point is man, but if you're trying to find comfort in the fact that you're taking two semesters more than most, than you should have no problem with that. I know tons of people that take 5 years to graduate because they know they want to go into science but don't know which science specifically so they change majors atleast twice. I'm in the same exact boat as you, 20 and and probably going to need 2 more years after this junior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
.....took me 7 years to get my undergrad. Not because I'm an idiot, but because I'm good at everything, and it took a while to decide what I wanted to be professionally good at. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I earned 30 hours of college credit while in high school and it will still take me a full 4 years to get my B.S.
I'm a 20 y/o sophomore/junior (it's my second year out of 4)

I graduated in the 4 years time frame because I chose to take summer classes. If I hadn't I definitely would have had to go for the 5th year.

depending on your major, it's extremely difficult to get through a bachelor's program and satisfy pre-med requirements in 4 years. I'm majoring in zoology. My major requires ~130 hours, and then I have a few hours of pre-med classes outside of that. To get through all that in 4 years without summer classes I would have to take about 17 hours a semester.
For someone majoring in anything non-science (or even some sciences that don't line up as well with pre-med requirements) They would have to satisfy ~130 hours for their major PLUS upwards of 30 hours for pre-med, which is just short of impossible to do in 4 years without summer classes, and still extremely difficult with summer classes.
the point- you're not really expected to get it all done in 4 years.

depending on your major, it's extremely difficult to get through a bachelor's program and satisfy pre-med requirements in 4 years. I'm majoring in zoology. My major requires ~130 hours, and then I have a few hours of pre-med classes outside of that. To get through all that in 4 years without summer classes I would have to take about 17 hours a semester.
For someone majoring in anything non-science (or even some sciences that don't line up as well with pre-med requirements) They would have to satisfy ~130 hours for their major PLUS upwards of 30 hours for pre-med, which is just short of impossible to do in 4 years without summer classes, and still extremely difficult with summer classes.

For example, I majored in psychology which doesn't help at all in satisfying prerequisites for medical school.

It took me 5 years.

This thread is confusing and weird! :laugh:

I'm 11. I actually have no intent on attending medical school, and will not even apply to colleges for over 6 years. I am a troll ... I like to come here and stir things up. I hate myself :(

I'm 11. I actually have no intent on attending medical school, and will not even apply to colleges for over 6 years. I am a troll ... I like to come here and stir things up. I hate myself :(

LOL. Nice. I am still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not entirely sure what the OP was trying to find out. But Ill chime in I guess, I would say that as time wears on it seems that a majority of students dont get a BA or BS degree in 4 or less. It seems that for most people it takes 5+ to get R done. Took me 5, and most of my friends as well.

Assuming the OP wanted an answer to the "how old are you" thing, I'm old enough to be your mother and I'll be kicking your a** in med school. Study hard, kiddo.

Assuming the OP wanted an answer to the "how old are you" thing, I'm old enough to be your mother and I'll be kicking your a** in med school. Study hard, kiddo.

:laugh::laugh: Love it!

Chill out. :smuggrin:

.....took me 7 years to get my undergrad. Not because I'm an idiot, but because I'm good at everything, and it took a while to decide what I wanted to be professionally good at. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

That's kind of the same with me except I was just interested in everything; engineering, music, math, geology, anthropology and I had to test all of the waters before finally figuring out what the heck I was doing. I wouldn't take it back for anything. :thumbup:

That's kind of the same with me except I was just interested in everything; engineering, music, math, geology, anthropology and I had to test all of the waters before finally figuring out what the heck I was doing. I wouldn't take it back for anything. :thumbup:

not even for two klondike bars??

completely dependent on whatcollege you are at. at my school, its extxremely rare for anybody to go into a 5th year, let a lone a 6th or a 7th. the peope that choose to take summer classes uusally do so b/c they don't want to take the class offered at the school, for whatever reason, and not b/c they are trying to fit everything in before graduation. and these people that do take mroe than 4 years are usually transfers from other institutions and something didn't work out w/ the credits or # of classes or whatever.

i know many non science pre med majors at my school, all of whom will be graduating in 4 years.

i got my bio degree in 3.3 years... but that just cuz i rock. :smuggrin:

umm... I started school initially in september 2000 as a double major in computer science and mathematics and finished May 2004 (exactly 4 years), took 136 credits total...... but GPA was shot (3.01 overall)

its not exactly about how fast you can finish, its about finishing as fast as you can and maintaining a strong GPA (3.5+)

It took me 6 years to get my undergrad, I changed schools, then changed back, plus I doubled major so . . . no excuses but I got accepted so who cares right?

I'm 7 years old.

This one was posted by mistake and I can't figure out how to delete it so I will just write this and tell you to read the next post below from me and then you will know what this post was orriginally supposed to say and what I was trying to post using the quote option which I never could get to work properly for me!!!!!!!

DocRawk - because I'm good at everything

Atternding the best medical college in Texas (possibly the world) I wouldn't exect anything less from you!

31. Will be 32 sometime this year.

Went the traditional route for my BS and MS in 6 years (4 + 2) and took some time to work and dabble in a PhD before going the med route. Looking back, I've had a lot of fun.

Hey guys, sorry if I was a little vague. When I wrote this thread, I was thinking of the time I was interning at the hospital and I was talking(collaborating) with the nurse and she said she really wished she could go to medical school, but she thought she was too old. So I guess my question would be, do you guys think you are too old for being premed, or aspiring to become a doctor? again sorry for the confusion.:)

There's at least one thread like this each year. :)

To answer your question, no, I obviously didn't feel like I was too old for medical school, or to become a physician. I'm in my mid-thirties and things are going well in medical school. The only issue I can think of is that when I stay up too many times in a row, I can definitely feel it.

Hey guys, sorry if I was a little vague. When I wrote this thread, I was thinking of the time I was interning at the hospital and I was talking(collaborating) with the nurse and she said she really wished she could go to medical school, but she thought she was too old. So I guess my question would be, do you guys think you are too old for being premed, or aspiring to become a doctor? again sorry for the confusion.:)

I guess it all depends when you are planning on dying

Really someone putting a 'stop-gag' clause on themselves by saying they are too old is just an excuse, so to answer your original question, no to be 21 or 22 to start medical school is not to old, in fact I would venture to say it is too young

The average age at my school is around 24, although there are people, like myself, that are a bit older than average. Truly, you don't have a very good reason to think you are too old for medical school in your early twenties, in this country... But, I suppose it's your prerogative to think so... ;)

I guess it all depends when you are planning on dying

Really someone putting a 'stop-gag' clause on themselves by saying they are too old is just an excuse, so to answer your original question, no to be 21 or 22 to start medical school is not to old, in fact I would venture to say it is too young

I have my death scheduled for November of 2068. I do suggest that everyone plans this ... with rising funeral costs, and the stress an unplanned death can place on your loved ones :smuggrin:

Just kiddin' Laura!!!

to be 21 or 22 to start medical school is not to old, in fact I would venture to say it is too young

I agree,and one of a number of reasons I'm more interested to go to an Osteopathic school than an Allopathic.

I'll be 30 by the time I marticulate (if all goes as scheduled)

I'll turn 30 a few weeks after medical school starts and think it is going to be perfect timing for me. I don't believe I would have lasted more than a few weeks in my early 20s if I tried to do it then. Plus, I've got to experience so many other things. You're going to grow old one way or another, it's just what you decide to do with that time. I don't but into this too old crap.

"I'm old enough to know better
but still too young to care."

25:p

I'll turn 30 a few weeks after medical school starts and think it is going to be perfect timing for me. I don't believe I would have lasted more than a few weeks in my early 20s if I tried to do it then. Plus, I've got to experience so many other things. You're going to grow old one way or another, it's just what you decide to do with that time. I don't but into this too old crap.

I agree completely. I will be 30 in April and my husband will be 40 next month and I don't think either of us is "too old".

There's at least one thread like this each year. :)

To answer your question, no, I obviously didn't feel like I was too old for medical school, or to become a physician. I'm in my mid-thirties and things are going well in medical school. The only issue I can think of is that when I stay up too many times in a row, I can definitely feel it.

Heh ... I didn't know that. Always knew you were extra wise ... makes sense now :thumbup: