How old can your LOR's be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mconnell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work for two physicians who are willing to write me LORs right now. I may not be working for them by the time I finish my Ugrad (I will be a junior soon, I am a non-traditional student and am going back to school). Should I have them write the letters for me now or will they be too old by the time I apply to school?

Members don't see this ad.

mconnell said:
I currently work for two physicians who are willing to write me LORs right now. I may not be working for them by the time I finish my Ugrad (I will be a junior soon, I am a non-traditional student and am going back to school). Should I have them write the letters for me now or will they be too old by the time I apply to school?

Is it possible to ask them if they can write you one when you're ready to apply?

Doesn't matter.
Do it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will med schools care that the letters are a couple of years old? Should my LORs be from professors and doctors? Will this look good (to have a LOR from doctors) or should I skip this?

I went through this myself, unless you want to handicap your application get rec letters with current dates. You can ask the guy to write it now and just tell him to save it so all he has to do is put on a new date a year from now.