How realistic are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalake says

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wonder what my chances are at schools like UT-Austin, University of Maryland, Minnesotta, Kentucky, and other top pharmacy schools. I'll be graduating in May '08 with a B.S. in Biochemistry from Univ of Maryland - College Park. As of now, I have an overall 3.44 GPA and a science GPA of 3.39 and math GPA of 3.57. I've taken math courses past calc I like calc II and differential equations. Also, I've been a pharmacy technician and am currently volunteering at my school's health center pharmacy. Additionally, I'm doing undergraduate research and was currently awarded an Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellowship. I've taken the PCAT before and did pretty well except for the verbal sections and I'm set to take the PCAT this august. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you for your time in reading this, it's very much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

your stats are great! If your PCAT score is over 80th percentile composite..then i wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure that you apply early and keep up with the current issues in pharmacy (for the interviews).
Letters of recommendations and personal statement are also very important!

Hi guys, I was wonder what my chances are at schools like UT-Austin, University of Maryland, Minnesotta, Kentucky, and other top pharmacy schools. I'll be graduating in May '08 with a B.S. in Biochemistry from Univ of Maryland - College Park. As of now, I have an overall 3.44 GPA and a science GPA of 3.39 and math GPA of 3.57. I've taken math courses past calc I like calc II and differential equations. Also, I've been a pharmacy technician and am currently volunteering at my school's health center pharmacy. Additionally, I'm doing undergraduate research and was currently awarded an Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellowship. I've taken the PCAT before and did pretty well except for the verbal sections and I'm set to take the PCAT this august. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you for your time in reading this, it's very much appreciated. :)

Since you're out of state (I assume you are since you're graduating from Maryland) you'll be at a disadvantage at UT Austin. The Texas Legislature mandates that at least 90% of admitted students be Texas residents. As a result, very few out of state students are admitted to UT. Otherwise your stats look very competitive, make sure you apply early and you should be fine.

thanks guys i really appreciate the responses. i was also wondering, for anyone with similar stats and got in.... what schools did you guys apply to? which schools were you accepted? i'm leaning more towards research in the pharmaceutical field versus retail so i'm trying to get into a school with a strong research programs. thanks again! :)