PhD/PsyD How realistic is it that I will get into a Psy.D program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarahmmm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior studying Child Adult and Family Services at Iowa State University with an emphasis on Child/Youth. I expect that my Cumulative GPA by the time that I graduate will be around a 3.0. I have no undergrad Psychology classes experience to date however I have made room for a few in my tentative senior year class schedule.

I need to know what I can do to give myself a higher chance at getting into a Psy.D program or if it is even a possibility that I could get into one. Reading into the requirements for various Psy.D the only criteria I meet is the GPA requirement, hardly. If I could go back in time I should have gone for a Bachelors in Psychology with a minor in counseling rather than what I am doing now.

When I had declared my major as Child Adult and Family Services my academic adviser had assured me I would be able to work in various mental health fields. It wasn't until recently when I started looking into specific jobs that I would want to do did I find out that I would actually be needing a Psy.D. Now, with not much time left in my undergrad studies, I am beginning to panic as what I was really hoping to do after graduation may not attainable.

With that being said, what are some of my options? Would it be best to get my masters instead in clinical mental health or some other related field and then apply? Should I take classes after graduation at a community college and get a minor in psychology and then apply? Any advice to help me get pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is it that you want to do, and why do you want to pursue a PsyD vs a a PhD or even an MSW? Based on your current major, it sounds like the MSW would really fit into that. Sometimes people think they need a doctorate when they can achieve the same goals with a different degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people wouldn't benefit too much from a master's, but in your scenario I think it's a good option. You'll get more psych coursework under your belt, an opportunity to fix your GPA, and some research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who can qualify for 6 figures of student loans can get into a PsyD program. Now if you want to go to one of the handful of reputable ones, or a fully funded balanced clinical program, you're going to need to do some work.

What exactly is it that you want to do, and why do you want to pursue a PsyD vs a a PhD or even an MSW? Based on your current major, it sounds like the MSW would really fit into that. Sometimes people think they need a doctorate when they can achieve the same goals with a different degree.
This is probably a little broad but I want to do mental health and behavior analysis and diagnosis on people, specifically children and adolescents. I want to pursue a degree in PsyD vs a PhD because they are more clinical based. If I were to get just a masters rather than a PsyD what masters would be best?

The vast majority of doctoralky trained ppl are clinicians. Very few are academics/researchers, with the majority being PhDs...bitbit’s a very small % overall.

Balanced PhD programs and balanced (university based) PsyD programs should be your aim. There are many sub-par to bad training programs out there, so a lot of leg work is needed to sort through the many programs.

This is probably a little broad but I want to do mental health and behavior analysis and diagnosis on people, specifically children and adolescents. I want to pursue a degree in PsyD vs a PhD because they are more clinical based. If I were to get just a masters rather than a PsyD what masters would be best?
Dr. Prinstein's Uncensored Graduate School Advice is a good start for figuring out if a doctoral degree is right for you, other options available with a master's degree, and what to do once you've decided.

Reactions: 1 user

Others have already addressed the PhD/PsyD debate. If you strictly want to do therapy and have the ability to diagnose, you can look into the MSW route, as you can get your LCSW (or mental health counseling MA) in less time it'll take you to get the doctorate. If you want to be able to do assessments and testing, then you need to pursue the doctorate.

It also sounds like your interests are still a little vague, which can make choosing a PhD or (reputable) PsyD program difficult, as there is a significant research component, and you want to look for mentors who match your interests when applying to schools.

Before shelling out tons of money on the GREs and applications, maybe do some more digging about the differences between PhD/PsyD, LPC, and LCSW so you can figure out what program would best fit your needs. There's definitely a lot of threads you can search through on SDN, and maybe you can speak to an advisor at your current university as well.

It all depends. Its not just about grades. My undergrad gpa was only a 2.4, & my GRE scores were embarrassing. However, my masters gpa was a 3.7, and my internship experience & letters of recommendation were outstanding. And my interviewing skills are on point. My gpa from undergrad was so terrible, I knew I'd have to do a psych masters to get in. So I did. I received offers from 3 out of the 5 schools I applied to. If I were you with a 3.0, & no psychology classes, I would consider a psych related masters and/or a 1 year internship in psychology- with direct patient contact. You will also need some type of research experience in psychology (published work would be a huge plus). I met the research requirements with my masters thesis. Do not overlook the importance of research experience. Good luck!

The vast majority of doctoralky trained ppl are clinicians. Very few are academics/researchers, with the majority being PhDs...bitbit’s a very small % overall.

I've always been curious, why is that?

At least in the United States, dwindling NIH funding for research = increasing competition for research funding = more Clinical Psychologists turning to clinical work for $$$

Reactions: 1 users

The number of doctoral degrees awarded in psychology far exceeds the number of available faculty positions (especially tenure eligible positions). This has been true for a long time. Clinical positions are relatively easy to get, by comparison. There are clinical psychologists working in other sectors too, but most students are ill prepared to seek out or launch careers outside academic or health service settings.

Reactions: 1 users
Academics (and researchers in general) have always been a small % of total Clinical/Counseling Psych grads, though i’d argue (as would most ppl in the field) the % of TT positions continues to shrink.

There has also been a shift towards more lecturers and”gig” work, which has negatively impacted the field bc there has been downward pressure on teaching compensation.

Given the overwhelming # of mid-levels being pumped out over the past 10-15+ years, the “golden age” of psych as a cushy position left at least a decade ago. Dwindling reimbursement rates (plus losses compared against inflation) make for a very different landscape.

Last edited: