How safe are students on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crash cart

Nothing good ever happens past midnight
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK...

I've been reading a lot of inflamatory posts recently, and a lot of posts that have outright trashed programs. I am acutely aware that match day has definitely not yet passed, so my question is, how safe are we by posting our honest opinions about programs here? I know that PDs and residency faculty are around here and read what we write. I am also aware that certain users are careless / loose about their personal information and could be identified if a motivated person really wanted to find out who we are. I have faith in SDNs policy of not disclosing our identity, but people give up tidbits here and there and with a little effort, a vengeful PD could triangulate our identity based on descriptive user names, signitures and other personal information.

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on this, because I'm hesitant to say negative things about a program (although I have) for fear of retrobution (not only from that program, but others who may see you as a "negative" person). Some may see me as parinoid, others may see me as shrewd.

All I know is that I hope for his sake, MONITOR's identity is never revealed (an extreme example). Moutain Dew is treading on some pretty thin ice, too.

Let's hear it!!

Members don't see this ad.

gasguy06 said:
OK...

I've been reading a lot of inflamatory posts recently, and a lot of posts that have outright trashed programs. I am acutely aware that match day has definitely not yet passed, so my question is, how safe are we by posting our honest opinions about programs here? I know that PDs and residency faculty are around here and read what we write. I am also aware that certain users are careless / loose about their personal information and could be identified if a motivated person really wanted to find out who we are. I have faith in SDNs policy of not disclosing our identity, but people give up tidbits here and there and with a little effort, a vengeful PD could triangulate our identity based on descriptive user names, signitures and other personal information.

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on this, because I'm hesitant to say negative things about a program (although I have) for fear of retrobution (not only from that program, but others who may see you as a "negative" person). Some may see me as parinoid, others may see me as shrewd.

All I know is that I hope for his sake, MONITOR's identity is never revealed (an extreme example). Moutain Dew is treading on some pretty thin ice, too.

Let's hear it!!

I think if you post long enough on an internet forum, you are risking what you describe above. But, you can remain anonymous...look at Zip...he's a frequent contributor here, and knowone knows who he is or where he is.

That being said, students interested in a certain residency program are the lifeblood of the program. If noone is interested in it, theres usually a reason...so a shrewd Chairman who gets wind of negative publicity should work to change the things that are giving the program negative publicity, assuming they are legitimate gripes. Trying to weed out people that are trashing a certain residency doesnt fix the problem...because new people will appear, and if the problems are still there, the residency will continue to get bad press.

So, in effect, "trashing" a residency may help change the problems.

Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
gasguy06 said:
OK...

Let's hear it!!

I have no expectation of anonymity. I try to never say/write anything I wouldn't with my real name at the end of it. I know PD's read this and I am pretty sure they also know the strangths and weaknesses of their program's so as long as you don't act like an ass there shouldn't be a problem.

Sugar72 said:
I have no expectation of anonymity. I try to never say/write anything I wouldn't with my real name at the end of it. I know PD's read this and I am pretty sure they also know the strangths and weaknesses of their program's so as long as you don't act like an ass there shouldn't be a problem.

i agree with you. as with any semi-anonymous forum, as long as you don't act like a d|ckbag, you should not have anything to worry about.

sounds naive, but in practice, truth goes a long way.

My paranoia has forced me to bite my tounge quite a few times - but on the same hand I think no PD is going to go thru the effort to figure out who you are -

Yeah, I made a couple of posts on SDN with a username that was basically my initials and last name before this application cycle but switched for the sake of anonymity.

I also haven't posted any negative interview reviews. Call it paranoia, I guess.

bullard said:
I also haven't posted any negative interview reviews. Call it paranoia, I guess.

the way i look at it is if i have a negative review i probably won't be ranking that place anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

that being said, i haven't had any bad experiences at interviews, so... who knows. they are what they are... programs selling themselves to applicants. if they do a poor job, that's a fault they might be able to correct if they get feedback, albeit indirect, from a forum like SDN. let 'em have it.

To all the PD’s lurking on SDN - I'd like to share some dirty secrets about a couple of SDNer’s I met on the interview trail.

1. No Oxygen looks nothing like his Dee Snider avatar of Twisted Sister. If you’re expecting a 50 year-old head banger, you will be disappointed.

2. Dr. Dre busts rhymes about as well as Paris Hilton. He reminded me more of “Kid” of Kid-n-Play, except he doesn't have his cool hair or break dancing moves.

Sorry to sell you guys out like that, but its way too competitive this year - gotta look out for numero ono.

ear-ache said:
To all the PD’s lurking on SDN - I'd like to share some dirty secrets about a couple of SDNer’s I met on the interview trail.

1. NoOxygen looks nothing like his Dee Snider avatar of Twisted Sister. If you’re expecting a 50 year-old head banger, you will be disappointed.

2. Dr. Dre busts rhymes about as well as Paris Hilton. He reminded me more of “Kid” of Kid-n-Play, except for the cool hair and break dancing.

Sorry to sell you guys out like that, but its way too competitive this year - gotta look out for numero ono.

deesnider04.jpg

I WANNA ROCK

So much for the rock god image i was trying so hard to cultivate. :laugh:
Great meeting you anyway,ear.

no oxygen said:
deesnider04.jpg

I WANNA ROCK

So much for the rock god image i was trying so hard to cultivate. :laugh:
Great meeting you anyway,ear.

first time this forum actually made me laugh. as in.. laugh at my computer in a quiet room and get strange looks from my roommate.

Ear!
After all the fellowship and loyalty I show you and you dis my rhymin' and stealin'!

Ear, on the other hand, DOES look like HasselOFF with a lanky, puppet-like body.

These kinda character assassinations have to stop soon, we have like 3 months to go!

ear-ache said:

1. No Oxygen looks nothing like his Dee Snider avatar of Twisted Sister. If you’re expecting a 50 year-old head banger, you will be disappointed.

2. Dr. Dre busts rhymes about as well as Paris Hilton. He reminded me more of “Kid” of Kid-n-Play, except he doesn't have his cool hair or break dancing moves.

And all that time, I thought that avatar was a really scary picture of comedian Kathy Griffin! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 66
Yes, I could probably figure out who you are, if I were that motivated. What would I gain?

I'm more interested in your honest opinions about programs, interviewing, matching. I agree with prior post that any PD worth his salt also wants to listen to you rather than plan revenge. I find the posts interesting, at times amusing and helpful to me and my program. In turn, I hope that I can offer helpful advice. And I feel that I can do this better anonymously. But you could prob. figure out who I am, too. But prob. not worth your time!

iron said:
Yes, I could probably figure out who you are, if I were that motivated. What would I gain?

I'm more interested in your honest opinions about programs, interviewing, matching. I agree with prior post that any PD worth his salt also wants to listen to you rather than plan revenge. I find the posts interesting, at times amusing and helpful to me and my program. In turn, I hope that I can offer helpful advice. And I feel that I can do this better anonymously. But you could prob. figure out who I am, too. But prob. not worth your time!

:clap:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I had one interviewer ask me if I was someone on here, in this forum. (I can't remember who it was, Livewire or something). Kind of surprised me, but he read that they had an interview on the day I was there, and he guessed it was me!

Personally, I am fairly honest on here. If what I post hurts me with a place, then I'd probably not do well if I was there in person. That said, I don't post much, and usually don't get too inflammatory either. :)

P.S. If that interviewer is reading this (I told him my username), I really liked your program. :D

Jamier2 said:
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I had one interviewer ask me if I was someone on here, in this forum. (I can't remember who it was, Livewire or something). Kind of surprised me, but he read that they had an interview on the day I was there, and he guessed it was me!

Personally, I am fairly honest on here. If what I post hurts me with a place, then I'd probably not do well if I was there in person. That said, I don't post much, and usually don't get too inflammatory either. :)

P.S. If that interviewer is reading this (I told him my username), I really liked your program. :D

Good for you. If asked I would tell someone who I was too...I don't think I have any skeletons in my sdn closet....although I have been a member a pretty long time (maybe blocking things out!)

gasguy06 said:
OK...

Let's hear it!!