How SAFE is it at WesternU???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonydtgr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get a new car. I'm worried about parking it on campus, especially at night. First of all, are there enough campus parking spaces, so that I won't have to park my car in nearby neighborhoods? Also, at night, is it safe enough to leave my car around til 11pm? I know there are security guards. do they stay late though?
i'm not getting a fancy car, just a new one.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of students from WesternU have some sweet rides in my opinion. There are sure some $$$ students around here.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry about something happening to your brand new car....if you park on-campus. The security guards are really great & they patrol constantly till the buiding closes. I wouldn't fret!!! I have a new car & everything was cool....even at night.

Yes, Pomona looks shady, but you as well as your car should be okay!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 06-09-2000).]

Oh, PLEASE, would everyone stop worrying about security at Western!??! Damn!

Look at schools in inner CITIES (no, Pomona does -not- qualify as a CITY)----I'm talking Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington....

Come on, folks.... Pomona is NOTHING with regards to safety compared with other places. Let's have a little reality and common sense enter these types of discussions.

To answer your question----------No, you do not need to worry about security there any more than you'd worry about security at another school of the same type of location. Buy why bellieve me? Call the police there, and get the crime stats. Better yet, find them on the web. I GUARANTEE you (without even looking it up) that, per capita, the crime rate is NORMAL for a city of that size.

Sheesh!
frown.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of Western U, I understand that they have a second in Chico, is there a DO school there, or just a Pharmacy school? Chico is about 10 hours closer to my love than Pomona.
Also, having a sister in law who lived in LaVerne (next door to Pomona),the crime is about the same as in other cities, not more, not less. Just be smart, safe, and park next to a Porsche, they will steal that instead.

Chico campus is nonexistant now!!! Pomona is the main branch with a new site at Las Vegas for a pharmacy program. The word was there were trying to open up a campus in the north in efforts to compete with the Touro school. I guess that idea fell through....

PB, try & calm down! You seem to have a chip off your shoulder...it was an honest question. I came from the islands & pondered the safety around here also. Is ISAC already getting to you? or the $1250 Laptop fee?
biggrin.gif

By the way fellow COMPers, that laptop idea really bytes!!! I fail to see the usefulness of that idea....especially with my two years experience there. Good luck anyhow!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 06-10-2000).]

Thanks FutureDoc for the info about Chico! I guess I can scratch Chico off the list!
My boss was thinking of going to osteopathic school 4 years ago and when I asked him if he considered TUCOM, he said that it wasn't open yet. QUESTION: How old is TUCOM, what are the general thoughts and such about the school? I live in Southern Oregon, 20 miles from the Calif. border and want a school where I can go home for breaks, Tucom would be 6 hours or so, Pomona would be a plane ride and several $$$ each time to fly home. EEK!

I believe Chico used to have a Nursing School. Touro will graduate its first class in 2001, so its inception was in 1997. Personally I didn't have a good experience with Touro- beginning with the "top." Director Haight's behavior, during my scheduling for an interview, leaves me to question whether he's truly qualified for that position. Touro may have a new campus and good faculty, but based on my herendous experience w/ Director Haight, I declined my interview there. If you want the detailed scoop, e-mail me.

Rob, are you at USFC now?

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited 06-13-2000).]

DJ, I am presently a 3rd year at WesternU/COMP.....off to rotations! YEAH!!
biggrin.gif

Two years in the classroom was MORE than enough for me!!
wink.gif

Babytrey99, like any other medical school, they will each have its pros & cons. The problem with Touro is it is still new (1st graduating class in 2001) & with any new institution there are many bugs to work out before becoming established. My only beef is that woking out these bugs will mean the current students will become the sacraficial lamb.....all for the benefit of future classes. Sorry, not for me....especially with the kind of tuition I am paying!!! Don't get me wrong about Touro b/c with a couple more years under their belt, I am sure their program will become more established.

WesternU/COMP also has problems to work out here & there, but they have been around for more than 20 yrs, so rotations, alums, etc.. are already established which means it will benefit YOU....sorta!!
smile.gif

Hope this helps!!!

Rob
WUCOMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 06-11-2000).]