General How should I answer interview question about a time where you lied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m struggling a bit when coming up with a satisfactory answer for an interview question I’m preparing for. The question is “tell me about a time you lied”, or another version of it being “is it ever okay to tell a white lie?”

I just don’t know what type of situation would work best because I assume you want to be honest with the interviewer but also not seem like you are a terrible person for lying so bad in the situation.
Everybody lies. So tell the truth to the question

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I was thinking, would it be okay to talk about a time where I told a supervisor at work one of my projects (I’m a school tutor for a job) would be done by the next day when I knew I wouldn’t have time to do so. I didn’t think it was going to be a big deal if I was late and just brushed it off that day. Turns out that the professor had announced to a 1000 person class that my worksheets would be out that day, and there were many students at the next session expecting my project/worksheet. It made me feel really bad as a person and realize that I should have just told the truth to my supervisor because I was short sighted and didn’t see how many people it affected and how I learned not to lie about being on time like that again. Or would something like this be too basic?
That's fine.

Try not to overthink this, okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.