How should I get clinical experience in high school?

etherealsolvent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the Bay Area, and it's pretty competitive so most clinical experience programs for high schoolers are SUPER competitive and require a 4.0+. Medicine is something I really want to do and I really badly want to get clinical experience but I keep getting rejected from these programs. I want to work as a pharmacy tech just to get exposure to various drugs and the medical field in general. Please give me suggestions of other things I can do to gain exposure! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it's still useful information. Clinical experience in high school will not have any bearing on your ability to get into med school and practice medicine later on. If you want the experience for yourself, then maybe people will have some ideas for you. But don't feel like you need it.

If you are interested in applying BS/MD and those programs require clinical experience, then disregard. But a traditional route to medicine will not be affected by it either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider shadowing as an option. It gets your foot in the door and you learn more about your field. You also start to build connections, which can help get you stronger experience or provide recommendations for programs you are applying to. I'd ask your parents if they know anyone, otherwise the best thing to do is just dress well, bring a resume, and start knockin' on doors to ask if you can shadow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just study, don't get arrested, and be a kid right now.

You don't need clinical experience in high school. If you won't listen, then volunteer at a clinic

Reactions: 1 users