Optometry How should I go about pursuing Optometry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school freshman in CA and I hope to become an optometrist some day! I signed up for honors chemistry next year, and I'm thinking of taking a pathway, Principles of Biotechnology 1 and Principles of Biotechnology 2 for 11th and 12th grade, instead of my original plan of taking AP Biology. And also AP physics, AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC. Would this be a good idea? There's also a health academy pathway, an environmental science pathway, and other classes like physics, marine biology, physiology, computer science, astronomy, etc. for the science portion. There are a few STEM clubs as well, so I'm hoping to join those to get some hands-on experience when we go back in-person.

For college, what majors would be good for optometry school? I'm thinking biology, microbiology, biochemistry? I'm also considering taking a minor in medicine. I didn't think to much about it yet, it was just something I'm considering. After college, I want to take a few gap years before grad school. And I really want to attend Berkeley's School of Optometry.

I know these are mostly statements, but I still have quite a bit of time before college so I want to start planning early to make sure to make the right decisions/plans, and choose the right classes. So I guess I'm asking for advice? Does this plan seem reasonable? If not could I get some recommendations? And if you're a studying something relating to science, math, or working in the medical industry, I'd also like to ask what university you attended, your major and/or minor, and/or what you're doing/what you're planning to do after college, if you're okay with sharing!

Also, would it be possible to find optometry related volunteer opportunities/extra curriculars as a high school student? I want to shadow an optometrist but I don't think anyone is willing to take someone in high school. Plus, my city has pretty low ratings on most optometry clinics, if any at all. Or would it be better to not worry about this until after high school?

Thanks for reading this far, I really appreciate it and I hope to hear from you!
My advice would be to do well in high school, shadow or get some experience if you are interested, and go to the cheapest college you can. When you get to that college, do very well in your courses so that you can do well on your OAT. You are down in the weeds right now with details and are very early.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.