Medical How should I handle this shadowing experience on application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at a optho clinic that has a lot of doctors. I've done maybe 20 hours of shadowing in my 1000hours that I've worked here so far. This 20 hours comprises at least 4 doctors, I'm not sure if I can estimate how many hours they each contribute. I know one doctor for sure contributes the bulk of the hours given how often I watch him interact with patients. This shadowing is during covid times, so it's mostly me watching from the hallway while they see their patients. I do this on a daily basis over the course of my time here, and I estimate that it's been about 20 hours.

So can I just lump those shadowing in my section as:
(Name of clinic - multiple doctors - total hours) and then list the doctors.
Or do I have to do this:
Name of clinic - multiple doctors - total hours:
doctor name,contact - hours

- My concern is, I'm getting letters from some of these doctors, because I've worked with them alot, and the minimal "shadowing" hours that I would attribute to them might minimize the extent to which med schools perceive how well these doctors know me.

Finally:
Including shadowing I have a total of 7 experiences to list(5 solid experiences, 1 hobby, and then 1awards(deans/chancellors list)): Should I separate the shadowing of the psychiatrist i did, from the shadowing of these ophthalmologists. Or just combine them both into one section?
Nearly all MD schools do not want MD or DO LORs

DO schools will.

Members don't see this ad.

For your shadowing, I would just list the main doctor your shadowed and estimate the hours, and list their contact info. Schools aren't THAT interested to know exactly which doctor you shadowed and call all of the and it may get confusing. Estimate your hours and list the one you did the most shadowing with.

As for LOR, you don't NEED to get one from them unless applying DO. Also, if applying DO, it is BETTER to get a DO letter, but not REQUIRED.

Why do schools place so much emphasis on LORs from professors over doctors? Wouldn't letters from doctors be more informative on if you would be a good fit for med school?
Professors can gauge your work ethic, your intellect, ability to get along with others, and your personality.

Doctors only see you for short time slices, and they're incapable of writing a good evaluation. They merely say what a nice person you are and that you were punctual.

Tldr, doctors LOR are 100% fluff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctors, in all honestly, likely are just gonna give you what you want...a letter. Most docs are busy and really don't care too much (being honest here) so unless you have a good connection/relationship with them, the letter is likely not gonna be record-breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.