How should I have managed this patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SomethingFishy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, this was a medicine clinic patient, came in for pre-op. Got an EKG, compared with his last, there were some new T-wave inversions (he had a few in other leads before, but these were new ones). He is asymptomatic. Should I have sent him straight to the Emergency Room or referred to Cardiology for further testing?
 
Ok, this was a medicine clinic patient, came in for pre-op. Got an EKG, compared with his last, there were some new T-wave inversions (he had a few in other leads before, but these were new ones). He is asymptomatic. Should I have sent him straight to the Emergency Room or referred to Cardiology for further testing?

If he's asymptomatic, why would you send him to the ER? I guess my question is: what would you hope that the ER would do for him?
 
I guess I was thinking that if he's having ischemia now, he could progress to infarction and would need to be ruled out with troponins and then maybe stressed?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, this was a medicine clinic patient, came in for pre-op. Got an EKG, compared with his last, there were some new T-wave inversions (he had a few in other leads before, but these were new ones). He is asymptomatic. Should I have sent him straight to the Emergency Room or referred to Cardiology for further testing?

Don't you staff your patients? It's July, and right now there's no such thing as a dumb question. Take advantage of this and use the in-real-life experts around you.