Technology How should i waste, err, spend my loan money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an old PC now (think 450mhz pent. 2). i'd like to upgrade my technology for the start of med school. i can either buy a $1200 desktop w/ a pda or a $1500 laptop and keep the old desktop for the house. the trick is i want something that will make my life easier and that will enable my girl to surf the web and use office. thanks. also, if anyone has specific rec's (on equip.) that would rock.

Members don't see this ad.

Mr. Rosewater said:
I have an old PC now (think 450mhz pent. 2). i'd like to upgrade my technology for the start of med school. i can either buy a $1200 desktop w/ a pda or a $1500 laptop and keep the old desktop for the house. the trick is i want something that will make my life easier and that will enable my girl to surf the web and use office. thanks. also, if anyone has specific rec's (on equip.) that would rock.

I say buy a $400 desktop (which is still pretty good), don't buy a PDA and then upgrade in 2 years, get another $400 desktop and a $200 PDA...and you'll still have money left over :thumbup:

i agree...if u have the leyboard, mouse, and monitor, then jsut buy a tower...you can get one for about 500 bucks or so and it will be a nice one

or...buy the parts and put them togather into a nice top of line comp...DISCLAIMER: do not do this if you hate technology, if it hates you(read: every time u touch it something breaks), or if you have 2 learn how 2 do it cause it will be a waste of time that way

then if u neeed a pda get one but not 2 expensive and upgrade again in a few years

or get a laptop but if you are not doing anything graphics intensive, programming and compiling intensive or very graphics intensive gaming...as in you just use it for bascics like word and so on....there in no need to spend 1500 on a laptop...you will be throwing $$ away

i would recomend getting a pda that can do word and so on and get a new desktop...that way you have the best fo both worlds

hope this helps