How significance is TOEFL in clerkship programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaolat_p

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m a final year Thai medical student who is insterested in Mayo clinic clerkship and have a step-one score of 270. But my TOEFL score is just 104 (R:29, L:30, S: 20, W: 25) <Trust me I tried and others said my speaking skill is actually decent but I can’t seem to improve my speaking score>

Will that affect my chance for getting a spot?
Or should I look for other programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I’m a final year Thai medical student who is insterested in Mayo clinic clerkship and have a step-one score of 270. But my TOEFL score is just 104 (R:29, L:30, S: 20, W: 25) <Trust me I tried and others said my speaking skill is actually decent but I can’t seem to improve my speaking score>

Will that affect my chance for getting a spot?
Or should I look for other programs?
As a person who took TOEFL about 9 years ago to immigrate to US, I can say that it doesn't matter for casual life, but it does matter for your interview skills and patient interaction. Speaking score of 20 is on a lower side unfortunately and imho it does affect how others see you. This may hinder your chances, but it's not too low either - so you can definitely still try. I myself am still dealing with speaking issues when I'm struggling to deliver to patient or colleagues a fluent coherent ideas I got. My speaking is definitely not as smooth as native speakers. This is something we need to keep improving as much as we can.

As a person who took TOEFL about 9 years ago to immigrate to US, I can say that it doesn't matter for casual life, but it does matter for your interview skills and patient interaction. Speaking score of 20 is on a lower side unfortunately and imho it does affect how others see you. This may hinder your chances, but it's not too low either - so you can definitely still try. I myself am still dealing with speaking issues when I'm struggling to deliver to patient or colleagues a fluent coherent ideas I got. My speaking is definitely not as smooth as native speakers. This is something we need to keep improving as much as we can.
Thanks for your reply!
I’ll try to improve my skill.
I think I have time for 2 more exams.