How soon can you re-defer loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wallypredoc

Member Deluxe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon can you re-defer student loans before dental school starts? 1 month before, 2 months before, the day you are accepted???

I start repaying in December, but if I get into dental school I will obviously re-defer all of my undergraduate student loans. The sooner I can re-defer, the happier I will be.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd check with your financial aid office once you've been accepted and deposited. For me, it wasn't until I actually started (full-time status) with my school reporting my enrollment and status. You could go into forbearance if you really want to avoid the monthly payment until schools starts, but look into the details of that (like the interest) before doing so.

bump...

I just submitted an application to defer the unsubsidized portion of my student loans from my masters degree. I was accepted Dec. 3rd. We will see what happens!

Anyone have any insight on this? Will it be approved now or will I have to wait until the fall when Dental school starts?

Also, I am assuming you select "graduate fellowship" deferment?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been repaying mine for about 6 months now but recently deferred mine until May. Through Sallie Mae you can request deferment if you work less than 30 hours/week which I do right now...they didn't ask for proof or anything it was pretty simple. I just did it so I can start saving that money for moving and such since we won't get our loans until after school starts...

I've been repaying mine for about 6 months now but recently deferred mine until May. Through Sallie Mae you can request deferment if you work less than 30 hours/week which I do right now...they didn't ask for proof or anything it was pretty simple. I just did it so I can start saving that money for moving and such since we won't get our loans until after school starts...

I saw that option as well but doesn't interest on some loans accrue?

I saw that option as well but doesn't interest on some loans accrue?

Yeah, that is the only drawback. I don't really have any other options for paying for things before school starts other than savings though, so I figured this would be the best option.