How strict are Harvard and Columbia about their letter of recommendation reuqirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Harvard requires
  • Three individual letters of recommnedation from faculty members, two of which must be from science professors
Columbia requires
  • Three confidential letters of recommendation from science professors

Currently I have letters from:
  • Ochem professor
  • Research lab PI (I technically get class credit for research)
  • Dentist
So I only have letters from 2 professors, which doesn't meet the requirements of either school. Neither school has emailed me about needing more letters though, is that a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

I only have two professor letters and got an application incomplete email from Harvard the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think Columbia sends an application complete email but I did receive one from Harvard (I had a committee letter with three letters from science professors and one from a dentist).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say they are pretty strict. I used a commitee letter as well.

I've emailed Columbia about LORs- They're strict.

I don't think Columbia sends an application complete email but I did receive one from Harvard (I had a committee letter with three letters from science professors and one from a dentist).
yup, same here. They did tell me that if I was missing something they would let me know with the email and I could send an additional LOR outside of AADSAS.

Update: Just received a application incomplete email from Harvard today. Still mum from Columbia.

Guess I got 2 months to procure another LOR.

I got an interview from Columbia with 2 letters of rec from science and 1 non-science. I turned down the invite so I'm not sure if it would have been a problem but I doubt it. I know people starting this year at Columbia who didn't have 3 science letters. Didn't apply to Harvard so can't help you there, but I imagine they'd require 2 science 1 non science like they state. Columbia's the only weird school that said they want 3 from science which is pretty dumb imo.

I don't know if this helps but I sent in a letter from my research PI along with two science professors and Harvard counted that as one of the three.

I don't know if this helps but I sent in a letter from my research PI along with two science professors and Harvard counted that as one of the three.
Did you take it for credit? That technically counts as a science LOR.

Did you take it for credit? That technically counts as a science LOR.
Yeah, I did take research for credit. However, for Columbia I specifically got one more letter from a science professor to make sure everything was covered. So I turned in 3 science letters in all, plus my research PI.

I already applied but have only 2 science teachers and a biomedical ethics letter and a dentist. I don't have enough time to get a 3rd science teacher. Should I bother with the secondaries or just save a little bit of money since I already wasted it by applying in the first place

I got an interview from Columbia with 2 letters of rec from science and 1 non-science. I turned down the invite so I'm not sure if it would have been a problem but I doubt it. I know people starting this year at Columbia who didn't have 3 science letters. Didn't apply to Harvard so can't help you there, but I imagine they'd require 2 science 1 non science like they state. Columbia's the only weird school that said they want 3 from science which is pretty dumb imo.

Do you know if Colombia still does this? Would they let me know if they needed another letter from me?

Sorry to revive an old post, but anyone know what happened with Columbia in the end with the 2 science professors and 1 non-science LOR? In the same situation right now.