• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

How sure are you that you want to be a doctor?

• 0-19%

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 20-39%

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 40-59%

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 60-79%

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • 80-99%

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 84 44.9%

• Total voters
About the Ads

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
MD/NYC
Status (Visible)
It would be really interesting if those of us responding to this survey respond to it again after 4 years of medical school... I'm sure many of our opinions will be different

I

indigoblue

wow.... i find it remarkable that the "why do you want to be a doctor" is asked so frequently... the question "how sure are you" seems almost the same.... the message i get from those two questions is that the profession is extremely serious... :idea:
it must be because death is involved:scared:

KarateGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Personally, I think the question should be: how sure are you that you want to give up the next 6 to 8 years of your life to become a doctor?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
All i know is that since I was 8 i wanted to be a doctor, like my parents. But when I got to college, and my grades went sour, and my dream of going to med school here became a farfetched dream. I hope I get in somewhere in the US, other wise I will go out of the country to be MD. But I will be an MD nonetheless.

Did that confuse any one?+pity+

Originally posted by pnp366
All i know is that since I was 8 i wanted to be a doctor, like my parents. But when I got to college, and my grades went sour, and my dream of going to med school here became a farfetched dream. I hope I get in somewhere in the US, other wise I will go out of the country to be MD. But I will be an MD nonetheless.

Did that confuse any one?+pity+

:eek: uh .....yeah

lizzylu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
SF
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by KarateGirl
Personally, I think the question should be: how sure are you that you want to give up the next 6 to 8 years of your life to become a doctor?

Yea I agree w/ KarateGirl.
sure to be a doctor? 100%
sure that I want to give up the rest of my 20s? not so sure/excited about that ;)

I

indigoblue

i'm excited about the whole process... from premed to med school to actually doctoring ...

DAL

no thank you
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
Status (Visible)
100%. Took me a while to have the self-confidence to pursue it, but no such doubts remain.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ooooh, very pretty distribution on that poll!!!

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali
My parents are both doctors and most of their friends are also doctors. Almost all of the doctors I have talked to told me to due business, probably like 95%. The few that told me to do medicine were relatively young and had only been practicing for a few years. I don't know if people get tired of medicine, or being sued, or the money just isn't worth the time you put into school but they all wished that they had done something else.

Fish3715

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2002
Status (Visible)
Since I'm still young and am in the beginning of my college career, I have quite a few doubts. I've wanted to be a doctor for years and when my eyes began deterioating (sp?), I wanted to be an opthalmologist. I still want to be a doctor, but I'm aware that there are other careers that I would be happy doing.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i wonder i the two in the 0-19% got into school. if so.. GIVE YOUR SLOTS TO THE 100% that havent gotten in!! :)

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
The laws of statistics and sampling dictate that all things are underdetermined and that you can never be 100% sure. In fact, when sampling the small amount of experiences in my life compared to the actual experience of being a doctor, I can only be a little greater than 0% sure I want to be an MD. However, I'm a little less sure I want to be any other profession. So by deduction, becoming a doctor is on the top of my list. :rolleyes: :p

I

indigoblue

Originally posted by MDTom
The laws of statistics and sampling dictate that all things are underdetermined and that you can never be 100% sure. In fact, when sampling the small amount of experiences in my life compared to the actual experience of being a doctor, I can only be a little greater than 0% sure I want to be an MD. However, I'm a little less sure I want to be any other profession. So by deduction, becoming a doctor is on the top of my list. :rolleyes: :p

i guess that's good logic... it shows that each person has their own conception of what an MD really is... then again, it's what you make of it...

i remain firm on 100%

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.