How sure are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How sure are you that you want to be a doctor?

• 0-19%

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 20-39%

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 40-59%

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 60-79%

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • 80-99%

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 84 44.9%

• Total voters

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
that you want to be a doctor

Members don't see this ad.

50% sure. why do I keep on hear bad stuff about being a doctor from my peers? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
100% baby! Why else would I have spent a small fortune on the application process?!

It would be really interesting if those of us responding to this survey respond to it again after 4 years of medical school... I'm sure many of our opinions will be different

you're not sure enough

wow.... i find it remarkable that the "why do you want to be a doctor" is asked so frequently... the question "how sure are you" seems almost the same.... the message i get from those two questions is that the profession is extremely serious... :idea:
it must be because death is involved:scared:

Personally, I think the question should be: how sure are you that you want to give up the next 6 to 8 years of your life to become a doctor?

All i know is that since I was 8 i wanted to be a doctor, like my parents. But when I got to college, and my grades went sour, and my dream of going to med school here became a farfetched dream. I hope I get in somewhere in the US, other wise I will go out of the country to be MD. But I will be an MD nonetheless.

Did that confuse any one?+pity+

I wanted to be a doctor ever since I was 21 years old.

Originally posted by pnp366
All i know is that since I was 8 i wanted to be a doctor, like my parents. But when I got to college, and my grades went sour, and my dream of going to med school here became a farfetched dream. I hope I get in somewhere in the US, other wise I will go out of the country to be MD. But I will be an MD nonetheless.

Did that confuse any one?+pity+

:eek: uh .....yeah

Originally posted by KarateGirl
Personally, I think the question should be: how sure are you that you want to give up the next 6 to 8 years of your life to become a doctor?

Yea I agree w/ KarateGirl.
sure to be a doctor? 100%
sure that I want to give up the rest of my 20s? not so sure/excited about that ;)

i'm excited about the whole process... from premed to med school to actually doctoring ...

100%. Took me a while to have the self-confidence to pursue it, but no such doubts remain.

Ooooh, very pretty distribution on that poll!!!

My parents are both doctors and most of their friends are also doctors. Almost all of the doctors I have talked to told me to due business, probably like 95%. The few that told me to do medicine were relatively young and had only been practicing for a few years. I don't know if people get tired of medicine, or being sued, or the money just isn't worth the time you put into school but they all wished that they had done something else.

Since I'm still young and am in the beginning of my college career, I have quite a few doubts. I've wanted to be a doctor for years and when my eyes began deterioating (sp?), I wanted to be an opthalmologist. I still want to be a doctor, but I'm aware that there are other careers that I would be happy doing.

i wonder i the two in the 0-19% got into school. if so.. GIVE YOUR SLOTS TO THE 100% that havent gotten in!! :)

The laws of statistics and sampling dictate that all things are underdetermined and that you can never be 100% sure. In fact, when sampling the small amount of experiences in my life compared to the actual experience of being a doctor, I can only be a little greater than 0% sure I want to be an MD. However, I'm a little less sure I want to be any other profession. So by deduction, becoming a doctor is on the top of my list. :rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by MDTom
The laws of statistics and sampling dictate that all things are underdetermined and that you can never be 100% sure. In fact, when sampling the small amount of experiences in my life compared to the actual experience of being a doctor, I can only be a little greater than 0% sure I want to be an MD. However, I'm a little less sure I want to be any other profession. So by deduction, becoming a doctor is on the top of my list. :rolleyes: :p

i guess that's good logic... it shows that each person has their own conception of what an MD really is... then again, it's what you make of it...

i remain firm on 100%