How to approach MCAT studying? Don't know where to start.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to approach MCAT studying? Don't know where to start. I'm one year out from undergrad. This will be my first time studying for the MCAT. I have the Kaplan books. Do I take a practice every week? and where do these practice tests come from?

Members don't see this ad.

Find a study schedule, there's plenty on here, and stick to it. The overall arching theme Is do content review, while maybe doing some questions here and there. Once content review is almost done then you start doing more passages and practice tests. Review your practice tests to figure out what you missed and why you missed it then learn whatever you have to learn so you don't make that same mistake again.

How to approach MCAT studying? Don't know where to start. I'm one year out from undergrad. This will be my first time studying for the MCAT. I have the Kaplan books. Do I take a practice every week? and where do these practice tests come from?

I took the MCAT a year out of undergrad too (just this Friday, lol). I did my own schedule but there are a ton on here you can follow. I'm just gonna jot some random thoughts below.

-You should be able to access FLs through Kaplan's website since you bought their books.
-The BEST FLs and question packs are made by the AAMC themselves. They have two graded FLs and an ungraded "sample." They also have tons of question packs. These are by far the most indicative of the type of passages and questions you will see on the real deal. I highly recommend these.
-I did a general content review and then took the first AAMC FL to expose my weak areas. I then did content every weekday and a non official FL (like Kaplan TPR, McGraw Hill) every weekend for 5 weeks. The unofficial FLs are most valuable for getting timing down; don't be bummed out by lower scores on these. Two weeks out I took the last AAMC graded FL and then focused on my persistent problem areas.
-I made hundreds of flash cards. They really helped! A lot of people on here use Anki.

Hope any of this makes sense. Biggest thing I'd say is be flexible also and willing to change things up if you dont feel you're being successful.