Quantcast

how to approach the DO secondary questions

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically the ones that are along the lines of

What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician? 500 words

In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician? 500 words

Is safe to assume that they want to hear specific stories on how you showed/gained those qualities? I feel like this is just like writing another personal statement but specifically to why DO?

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician? 500 words

In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician? 500 words

Is safe to assume that they want to hear specific stories on how you showed/gained those qualities? I feel like this is just like writing another personal statement but specifically to why DO?
In all honesty, I would approach them with honesty and the least amount of sugar coating. Be sure to answer the question. For the first question above, don't provide a story of how you possessed or gained a specific quality that will make you a successful osteopathic physician. List 2 or 3 qualities each with it's own paragraph explaining why.

Oh_Gee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I would approach them with honesty and the least amount of sugar coating. Be sure to answer the question. For the first question above, don't provide a story of how you possessed or gained a specific quality that will make you a successful osteopathic physician. List 2 or 3 qualities each with it's own paragraph explaining why.
but how can i describe those qualities without giving concrete evidence.

asdf123g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
but how can i describe those qualities without giving concrete evidence.
do we even need concrete evidence?? I feel like thats hard to fit in with just 500 words if we are describing say 3 qualities about us.

Also, do we need like a intro paragraph and conclusion or do we just jump right into it and hit the ground running? It feels unnatural to do the latter

Oh_Gee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
do we even need concrete evidence?? I feel like thats hard to fit in with just 500 words if we are describing say 3 qualities about us.

Also, do we need like a intro paragraph and conclusion or do we just jump right into it and hit the ground running? It feels unnatural to do the latter
my PS was like 800-900 words...

Grace184

Reaction score
In my experience/opinion of secondaries- you've already given them the "meal" in you PS. Secondaries are the "meat." Hit the ground running. Of course start off with an intro/conclusion sentence or two, but get to the point and answer their questions.

MightBeACylon439

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I had to go back and reword and re-edit and cut out unnecessary details. It was a struggle for sure but you learn how to say what you need to say in a concise manner...definitely not the place for fluff.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh_Gee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to go back and reword and re-edit and cut out unnecessary details. It was a struggle for sure but you learn how to say what you need to say in a concise manner...definitely not the place for fluff.
did you provide examples?

Grace184

Reaction score
I feel examples are the best way to present your evidence, given the question. Make it concise, answer their question, bust also sound human. It takes some practice.

I recommend saving all your answers in a word document with the title of the secondary. A lot of schools have A lot of similar questions. You can reuse/re-edit your answers to fit their similar questions. Saves a lot of time. You then, of course, can see how many characters your writing and as Non Trad said "trim the fluff"

D

deleted158872

these are like, the easiest secondary questions that they ask...

JeBrAs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Make sure you answer the question exactly. Don't just reuse an essay from another secondary that asked a similar question. Most essays that may look like the same essay are different by just a few words which requires you to write up a whole new essay.

Adcoms can tell when you seem to have almost cut and pasted from another essay because it doesn't quite answer the question and seems forced I there.

Also just be honest with what you know and have experienced with Osteopathic Medicine. Lots of experience? Great, write the heck out of it. Very little exposure? Write about how your beliefs in medicine coincide with Osteopathic Medicine but be honest about your limited exposure.

Take these seriously because you may have to answer questions in more detail at an interview.

Reactions: 1 user

premedprincess26

Reaction score

so you think just explanations will work better than detailed stories? i've usually been told to try to tell a story instead of simply tell, but i actually was wondering if i should make these more bland and simplistic and not as colorful as a story to get more across