How to ask a med school if they drug test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one's saying we shouldn't have laws.

Of course they are when they say that laws that are unjust are made to be ignored.

So, how exactly is it acceptable to legislate what substances someone puts into his/her own body? It's not.

Um, in case you missed my 100 posts on the subject, I'm arguing that it's wrong to BREAK the law. I'm not arguing the law itself.

Anti-drug laws are ridiculous and I would never vote for a politician who supports them.

Then I guess you never vote for a Democrat or a Republican.

Members don't see this ad.

The feds are not in the business of prosecuting minor infractions that the states are better able to handle. Under what circumstance would such infractions in end up in federal court?

Sure, a district prosecutor might get their hands on it, but in states where it has been legalized (regardless of federal law), this has not and will not happen. Judges are likewise not in the business of making law. Until such a judgement has reached the supreme court (and it will not), you're home free in places like Cali, if you fit the requirements.

I don't know where people get this idea that Big Brother is watching their every move and that we should fear the government. Smoke your dope, or don't. But don't let fear keep you from doing what you want.

My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.
-Ben Harper

The argument is not if you should be able to spark up or not, it is about the law and the fact that marijuana is currently illegal in everyone of the 50 states.

No one's saying we shouldn't have laws.

I think we can all pretty much agree that we're all guaranteed to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and all that jazz. This DOESN'T mean we're allowed to do whatever the f!ck we want, but it DOES mean that we're allowed to do whatever we want provided it doesn't harm anyone else.

So, how exactly is it acceptable to legislate what substances someone puts into his/her own body? It's not. We don't tell people they can't eat fatty foods, smoke, or drink. It would be absolutely unacceptable; if adults choose to engage in these activities, they are assuming the personal risk that comes along with them. We can create laws that prevent them from harming others while doing so...secondhand smoke isn't okay, and neither is drunk driving. Doing drugs? I don't believe that's any of the government's business.

Anti-drug laws are ridiculous and I would never vote for a politician who supports them. If my colleagues, friends or neighbors choose to smoke weed, it's none of my business unless they're harming me or others. It's usually pretty easy to get people to agree to the "live and let live" argument, but for some reason, when it comes to drugs, people flip their ****. As if legalizing cocaine is suddenly going to make it more attractive to people. I don't not do cocaine because it's illegal...I don't do it because it could kill me, duh. If the dude the next door wants to take that risk, why is it any of my business? It doesn't affect me. If he gets violent when he's high and tries to cook his children, then sure, that's a problem, but our #1 priority when drafting legislation should be guaranteeing actual liberty, not preventing potential harm.

And even if you don't buy the ideological/political arguments, the economic ones are solid. We waste billions of dollars a year fighting drugs when people ARE GOING TO DO THEM ANYWAY. There will always be a demand for drugs, so we might as well take advantage of it and let them be bought and sold on the market just like anything else.

Thank you!
Everything I wish I was trying to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.
-Ben Harper

:laugh: What a great song choice for the thread. BTW, Harper is going to be at lolla, I am fing stoked!

Then you should look up the definition of Republican because they're the ones who believe the fewer laws, the better. And then after that, look up Democrats, who are also against legalization of marijuana for recreational use. And then after that, quit making assumptions that make you look like a fool.

Oh, and I'm sure your aunt is totally broken up about the fact that you despise her. I like how you added that, as if I'm supposed to care what you think? LOL

IMO Republicans should look up the definition of republicans.

There are more than 2 political organizations in the USA.
Also I would totally be a republican if we are talking about the 1850's style republican and not the current type of republican. The 1850s style is when there were no laws about recreational drug use (and they were not concerned with creating them)...but enough about politics, back to the drugs

I've lurked for so long, and this is the thread that finally made me post. Its cracking me up...smoking is so mellow, and this is so the opposite....I hate arguments like this, would never get involved...but its funny to watch. You guys are all so worked up

Then you should look up the definition of Republican because they're the ones who believe the fewer laws, the better. And then after that, look up Democrats, who are also against legalization of marijuana for recreational use. And then after that, quit making assumptions that make you look like a fool.

Oh, and I'm sure your aunt is totally broken up about the fact that you despise her. I like how you added that, as if I'm supposed to care what you think? LOL

Ahh the irony.

So where are these Republicans that are pushing for fewer laws and legalization of pot? Outside of the business realm, the Right has lost the conservatism of the past. Perhaps you missed the last 10 years? You should.... look it up.

I've lurked for so long, and this is the thread that finally made me post. Its cracking me up...smoking is so mellow, and this is so the opposite....I hate arguments like this, would never get involved...but its funny to watch. You guys are all so worked up

Haha...yeah I guess if I were high right now I probably would not be worked up. But someone needs to stand up for those who are stoned right now

Um, in case you missed my 100 posts on the subject, I'm arguing that it's wrong to BREAK the law. I'm not arguing the law itself.

So...Rosa Parks was wrong, then? What exactly should she have done to change her circumstances?

If no one ever broke the law, laws would NEVER change. A law has to be broken repeatedly and systematically by large numbers of people with a common goal in order for lawmakers to realize that it's an unjust law. Either that or we can just write letters to Congress, and we know how well that works.

Then I guess you never vote for a Democrat or a Republican.

Nope. I don't.

Ahh the irony.

So where are these Republicans that are pushing for fewer laws and legalization of pot? Outside of the business realm, the Right has lost the conservatism of the past. Perhaps you missed the last 10 years? You should.... look it up.

Put down the pipe, buddy and read the post again. I never said they supported legalization of pot. I said they favored less laws. Neither of the major parties -- Republican or Democrat -- support legalizing pot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

The party supports a conservative and/or center-right platform, with foundations in supply-side fiscal policies, social conservatism, and personal responsibility.

So...Rosa Parks was wrong, then? What exactly should she have done to change her circumstances?

Rosa Parks is equivalent to Skippy rolling a joint? Really?

If no one ever broke the law, laws would NEVER change. A law has to be broken repeatedly and systematically by large numbers of people with a common goal in order for lawmakers to realize that it's an unjust law. Either that or we can just write letters to Congress, and we know how well that works.

Or you can, you know, join an advocacy group, become a spokesperson, run for office, get an issue on your state ballot, etc. But go right ahead and break the law, then justify it by saying "it just HAS to be done." Nice precedent you set there.

people take the random stuff that gets pushed through legislation waaay too seriously.

ftr I think if you want to take med school seriously giving up weed is a really good idea. Also you should definitely stop 3rd/4th year rotations where you have the chance of getting needle stuck. It's best for the sake of your future patients to be as sharp as possible which is hard if you get high.. remember it's a service industry, you're doing this for other people, not necessarily for yourself (how it's supposed to be at least).

that said.. I'll never really get people who take this stuff so seriously. I understand every argument against weed except, "it's illegal." I get why it's not smart to do because it's illegal, consequences, etc, but not the argument from the sake of legality. Look from when I was like 12 people been telling me, "son you can't skate here." "son you can't ride that dirt bike here" etc pick up the board and walk away, then come skate again the next day. what are they gonna do.. give me a ticket? fine I'll pay the ticket, then skate the next day. The best snow is found when you duck boundary lines. Yeah there's no ski patrol to save your ass, yeah you could get your lift ticket taken away (if they catch you) but who cares?? You could obey it and ride the slim pickens unless it's a powder day, or you can duck that rope, ride straight buttery powder all the way to the bottom and catch that perfect feeling... I used to really enjoy taking my car to the limits when no one was around, stopped doing that because I finally realized it was a bad habit and there was a chance my actions would hurt someone someday. THIS is when your personal compass says "stop doing this, you're only doing it to please yourself and it's not good for those around you." if you lack this inner voice well damn that sucks maybe you need random laws. I drive safe now but when traffics flowing at 80 in all lanes you bet I'm keeping up, why? cause it's safe for all those around even though it's breaking the law. breaking the law breaking the law.

Rosa Parks is equivalent to Skippy rolling a joint? Really?

In terms of personal liberty, yes. Sorry if that's just completely incomprehensible to you.

Or you can, you know, join an advocacy group, become a spokesperson, run for office, get an issue on your state ballot, etc. But go right ahead and break the law, then justify it by saying "it just HAS to be done." Nice precedent you set there.

I don't know what world you live in, but have you ever even HEARD of civil disobedience? Do you really think anything would get done in this country if everyone waited to get issues on their state ballots? And as far as running for office, that's the most ridiculous argument ever---you're essentially saying I can't have any political views whatsoever unless I'm a public servant? That makes no sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about residency? Will you also choose who to rank by their drug-testing policy?

Good luck with that.

how long does it stay in your system? people who don't smoke say it stays for like 6 months or something, but they have like no credibility i would guess. and i heard you have to shave your head and pubes, is that true? and do people on the west side smoke more than us people of the east?

it goes outta ur system in 30 days basically. i know a heavy user (smoked multiple times a day) who stopped on a dime, and got drug tested for a hospital job 2 months later. No problems.

In terms of hair.... i havent heard anyone getting hair tested except for rumors about government cia type jobs

I don't know what world you live in, but have you ever even HEARD of civil disobedience? Do you really think anything would get done in this country if everyone waited to get issues on their state ballots? And as far as running for office, that's the most ridiculous argument ever---you're essentially saying I can't have any political views whatsoever unless I'm a public servant? That makes no sense.

Seriously, I'm going to start calling people on bull**** they pull out of their ass. When did I say you can't have political views unless you're a public servant? When? Quote me please. Either quote me or admit you're talking out of your ass. What I said was in response to you claiming you have to break the law to change the law and I said that if you want to change the law, you can do a number of LEGAL things, including running for office.

I find it really hard to believe you can't follow a linear line of thought.

I think it's funny that weed smokers are so adamant about continuing to smoke. Sorry, that's just dumb, and it shows you're hooked. Ruh roh!

No such thing as hooked on pot. Ruh roh! there is no physical dependence wahtsoever. If you really wanted to quit, you could. Just most people don't see a reason to.

This debate has been carried out for so long....nothing is going to be resolved here. Breaking the law is breaking the law. One thing to keep in mind is the consequences a person may have if they get caught smoking MJ once they become a doctor! I don't know what the laws are regarding this, but please do think about all the effort you have put into becoming a doctor, before putting it on the line for a smoke. I don't do drugs, but that is my personal choice--legal or not. Good Luck Op, hope you got the answer you were looking for from the Med Schools.

This thread is ridiculous. After reading through the entire thread everyone is so oblivious. No one cares what you think. Everyone is stubborn. All of your are type-As. Yes rosa parks was a legit comparison. Just because the impact is not the same, the situation is. Someone is doing something illegal because they feel the law is unjust. End of story. That is the bottom line. Just because you dont agree does not mean its wrong. There is no right there is no wrong, there is personal opinion. If the OP wants to light up, its at his own risk. I say he is smart to figure out what his risk is by finding out which schools tests. Im sure if every school tested on orientation day, he would either quit with enough time to come clean, or decide not to go to med school. That is his choice. And to say that pot is addictive is absurd. For those of you that think so really don't know much about the drug.

I find it really hard to believe you can't follow a linear line of thought.

I find it really hard to believe that you think the legalization of marijuana is going to come through anything OTHER than people continuing to smoke weed as they please and being vocal about it. But maybe history wasn't mandatory wherever you went to middle school. Whatever. You go on your merry law-abiding way. Those of us who live in the real world understand that politicians are only ever going to legalize marijuana---and other drugs---once they recognize that productive, intelligent citizens everywhere are doing it. There has to be a tipping point, otherwise no "state ballot" will ever pass anyway.

I think some famous dude once said, "be the change you wish to see in the world" or something like that.

Actually there was no law saying she had to give up her seat, and the US Supreme Court had already ruled on the issue (against these busing practices) twice before Rosa Parks stood her ground. So no, she wasn't wrong, but she wasn't violating the law either.

Our system has numerous ways to challenge a law you disagree with, ranging from petitions to include referendums on an election ballot, to lobbying. to writing your congressmen. But ignoring and breaking the law isn't an accepted practice. And most of the folks who blatantly protest a law in this way end up incarcerated. I have no problem with folks organizing and using the political/legal apparatus to try and legalize substances. But don't think you are on solid legal footing, or somehow equivalent to civil rights pioneers because you want to smoke a doobie. If you really believe this, I think you've had too much already.

Last edited:
This thread is ridiculous. After reading through the entire thread everyone is so oblivious. No one cares what you think. Everyone is stubborn. All of your are type-As. Yes rosa parks was a legit comparison. Just because the impact is not the same, the situation is. Someone is doing something illegal because they feel the law is unjust. End of story. That is the bottom line. Just because you dont agree does not mean its wrong. There is no right there is no wrong, there is personal opinion. If the OP wants to light up, its at his own risk. I say he is smart to figure out what his risk is by finding out which schools tests. Im sure if every school tested on orientation day, he would either quit with enough time to come clean, or decide not to go to med school. That is his choice. And to say that pot is addictive is absurd. For those of you that think so really don't know much about the drug.

And here you come to tell us no one cares what we think, followed by a sermon about what you think. Talk about arrogance and hypocrisy.

... Someone is doing something illegal because they feel the law is unjust. End of story. That is the bottom line. Just because you dont agree does not mean its wrong. There is no right there is no wrong, there is personal opinion. ...

Um no. The nature of the act totally matters. (Ignoring the fact that Rosa Parks wasn't actually breaking a law and was actually doing what the US Supreme Court already had said was permissible in two other cases). Otherwise who's to say that any murderer, thief or rapist isn't simply protesting a law he feels is unjust. You only get to protest by civil disobedience if there is no other approach open to you. If you aren't given an equal voice, you may not have the ability to petition things or lobby things or write your congressman. So sure, in civil rights type issues there really isn't another, acceptable way to challenge the laws. Not so in terms of trying to have a substance de-criminalized. You have all of the rights of citizenship open to you, and are thus expected to use the avenues provided for citizens to challenge laws legally. You don't get to break a law you don't like. Not ever. You only get to break a law if you don't have a voice (ie there is no avenue through which to raise your position). That is not the case with drug legalization -- they can publish, petition, write their congressmen, etc. That's the avenue -- and the only accepted one here.

How do I go about doing this? Anonymous phone call?

Please don't give me the: "Can't you just stop smoking, you're gonna be a doctor you know!" I don't need a soap box lecture.

Only a few med schools drug test. The majority of residencies certainly will. So yes, you are going to have to stop smoking -- might as well start now.

I find it really hard to believe that you think the legalization of marijuana is going to come through anything OTHER than people continuing to smoke weed as they please and being vocal about it. But maybe history wasn't mandatory wherever you went to middle school. Whatever.

This is so rich. Get a clue and understand that people don't change laws like legalization of marijuana by lighting up. No one gives a damn if you light up. They'll just haul you off to jail. You think you're going to be the MLK or Rosa Parks of potheads? LOLOL, that's a riot.

You go on your merry law-abiding way. Those of us who live in the real world understand that politicians are only ever going to legalize marijuana---and other drugs---once they recognize that productive, intelligent citizens everywhere are doing it.

Oh, the real world. You mean where petitions don't exist? You mean where attorneys don't exist? You mean where public advocacy groups don't exist? You mean where lobbyists don't exist? Or are you not aware there are armies of people who change the law by following the law? Perhaps it's your own history classes you should be taking inventory of since you obviously learned nothing about judicial process.

There has to be a tipping point, otherwise no "state ballot" will ever pass anyway.

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. Every state ballot issue is the result of someone breaking the law. How could I have been such a fool? Thank you for educating me. I'll remember that when I see a bond issue on my ballot. I swear, it's as if some of you have never voted in your lives.

Wow. so many people shoud just GTFO from this thread. How does the OP's topic relate to your personal opinions about whether or not cannabis use is okay for physicians and med students? (rhetorically meant)

So, I guess the consensus (well, not much of a consensus since only 4 posts are germane to my question!) is to call/email anonymously?

Put down the pipe, buddy and read the post again. I never said they supported legalization of pot. I said they favored less laws. Neither of the major parties -- Republican or Democrat -- support legalizing pot.

Sweet... so now I'm a pothead? Hmm... that's wierd, I don't think I've touched the drug.

OHHHH, you were just trying to attack me verbally! I get it now. That's an attempt to form a defense, after seeing that really, your post about politics is completely unfounded and has no relevence to this thread, and can not be justified by normal argumentative means.

You said they favored less laws, as we were engaged in a topic about legalization of one law. Yeah, pretty sure if you were referring to something else with that, it may have been best to just not say anything.

Sweet... so now I'm a pothead? Hmm... that's wierd, I don't think I've touched the drug.

OHHHH, you were just trying to attack me verbally! I get it now. That's an attempt to form a defense, after seeing that really, your post about politics is completely unfounded and has no relevence to this thread, and can not be justified by normal argumentative means.

You said they favored less laws, as we were engaged in a topic about legalization of one law. Yeah, pretty sure if you were referring to something else with that, it may have been best to just not say anything.

::::WHIZZ!:::: That's the sound of the point sailing so completely over your head. You obviously can't follow a simple discussion so I'll try to explain it to you. Another poster claimed that since I seemed to like laws, I must be a Republican. I correcting him by saying that Republicans actually want federal LESS laws not more, though both major parties are opposed to legalizing pot. So tell me again, what about that is beyond the level of an average med student? What part of it requires visual aids to understand?

::::WHIZZ!:::: That's the sound of the point sailing so completely over your head. You obviously can't follow a simple discussion so I'll try to explain it to you. Another poster claimed that since I seemed to like laws, I must be a Republican. I correcting him by saying that Republicans actually want federal LESS laws not more, though both major parties are opposed to legalizing pot. So tell me again, what about that is beyond the level of an average med student? What part of it requires visual aids to understand?

They sure have a funny way of showing it. The reality is that both parties want more federal laws and more consolidation of power under the federal government. Don't believe the bs the republicans feed you about smaller government, because their actions show otherwise. If you truly believe in smaller government, you need to vote third party.

So, I guess the consensus (well, not much of a consensus since only 4 posts are germane to my question!) is to call/email anonymously?

Actually the consensus is to stop smoking pot because it honestly isnt worth the risk of being ****ed over. Not to mention there are various phases of background testing for hospitals where you will eventually end up working and if it doesnt bite you now, it will then. You picked the wrong profession if your most beloved activity is illegal drug use. Go for something else where people's lives are not at stake, then you can smoke all you want.

They sure have a funny way of showing it. The reality is that both parties want more federal laws and more consolidation of power under the federal government. Don't believe the bs the republicans feed you about smaller government, because their actions show otherwise. If you truly believe in smaller government, you need to vote third party.

Lol come on, we all know 3rd party=wasted vote in favor of the more dominant party.

Man the complacency some of you demonstrate with your anti-MJ rhetoric is absolutely disgusting (LET I am looking at you). So just because the government (which always has our best interests in mind :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) says MJ is illegal you are going to eschew it like it was created in the devil's garden? Are you going to live underneath your superiors and believe everything they tell you regardless of what science/common sense/logic say? No wonder Panda Bear refers to us as sheep.

Like somebody above posted, use your sensibility that got you into medical school--from a logical point of view marijuana is NO different than alcohol. Understand the research, open your mind, and stop spewing the drivel with which you were indoctrinated in middle school. You are all going to be INDEPENDENT thinkers as doctors... don't you think it's time to start now?

I understand some of you not wanting to "throw away thousands of hours of work and effort" and I understand/respect that, but honestly looking down on somebody for smoking weed is really ****ing stupid.

DeadliestSnatch et al, I wish I knew which medical school you are going to/are interested in/whatever because I can only assume I would be classmates with level-headed, independent-thinking, and fun classmates.

Why doesn't anyone get my post? I'm not anti-MJ. I'm not pro-MJ. I don't have an opinion on the matter at all cause I can see both sides of the issue and I don't really care enough to examine it in depth and make up my mind. I have asthma, and don't even take tylenol, so I don't smoke, but it's not because I'm morally against it- I'm just not interested. My argument was simply that if I were the OP, I'd suck it up and follow the law while it's in place, because I simply don't think that anything as stupid as this should really be worth his risking his future. It's very simple. If it makes me a "sheep" to not stand on principle and just mind my own business and enjoy myself without risking losing my acceptance to med school (which was years and years in the making), so be it. It's a matter of priorities: the moment I find something I care about enough to stand on principle and risk everything, I'll be Rosa Parking it up, but for now I'm fine with how the rules are and don't care enough to brake them.
However, obviously you disagree, so don't be a sheep and light up the next time you're in front of the dean of the med school where you're going. Knock yourself out. Someone on the waitlist will be really glad for your principles.

geezus people... 3 pages... the dude just wanted to know how to go about asking the school about a drug test, not a full psychoanalytic workup of what his behavior could predict, or a legal analysis of where our country stands w/ drugs!

Well I think a cogent argument against "its just like alcohol" is that alcohol has been a part of American society since its inception whereas marijuana has not. Prohibition demonstrated that once a drug becomes a part of our culture, it is impossible to go back. Once we decide to start legalizing drugs, it becomes a very slippery slope. Why not go ahead and legalize LSD speed and coke next? If used in moderation and as long as the user isnt driving a vehicle, its just like alcohol too right? Sure its not too good for your brain, but it isnt the governments job to tell us what to do and what not to do right?

3 pages of this BS. Incredible

Just call the school (from a pay-phone) and ask if they drug test.

BTW I would not care if my surgeon smoked weed as long as he was not high when he was not high during the procedure.

Also I remember looking at the OPs MDapps when it was still up and he is VERY smart and got into some GREAT schools...Lots of you with the MDapps who are bashing did not even come close to the #s he had let alone get into the schools he did.

SDN is full of schiess, but this one sneaks into the top 15.

Only a few med schools drug test. The majority of residencies certainly will. So yes, you are going to have to stop smoking -- might as well start now.

Best advice ever.

Well I think a cogent argument against "its just like alcohol" is that alcohol has been a part of American society since its inception whereas marijuana has not. Prohibition demonstrated that once a drug becomes a part of our culture, it is impossible to go back. Once we decide to start legalizing drugs, it becomes a very slippery slope. Why not go ahead and legalize LSD speed and coke next? If used in moderation and as long as the user isnt driving a vehicle, its just like alcohol too right? Sure its not too good for your brain, but it isnt the governments job to tell us what to do and what not to do right?

Where have you been? Marijuana is part of our culture. It may not have been 100 years ago, but nowadays cannabis use is extremely common. In the 2007 YRBS, the CDC reported that 38.1% of high school students had tried marijuana at least once in their life. 19.7% had used it in the past 30 days. These numbers are actually down over the past decade! Marijuana use isn't something that a few criminals are doing in a back alley, it is a drug that a huge proportion of our population has tried or actively uses.

Please don't give me the: "Can't you just stop smoking, you're gonna be a doctor you know!" I don't need a soap box lecture.
Sorry OP, nobody can do it:
Wow. Just, wow. The automatic association between "living a little" and pot-smoking is either really funny or really sad. I haven't really decided which. You know what's really fun and isn't illegal? Sex. Also, alcohol, in moderation. Oh, and doing fun stuff with fun people.
I think it's funny that weed smokers are so adamant about continuing to smoke. Sorry, that's just dumb, and it shows you're hooked. Ruh roh!
To the OP -- grow the hell up. You're going to med school. Quit acting like a frat boy. Even if you don't see anything wrong with marijuana, it's still illegal. I can't believe that 700 people will chime in to call someone a tool for wearing scrubs, but most people around here think it's fine for someone to break the law and even give him tips on how to hide it from his med school.

:::shakes head:::

My advice: call them, don't mention your name, and see what they say. Sorry that nobody can actually answer your question without getting into an ethics debate.

Kinda a hot head aren't you? You do realize, you can't yell over the internet. But the all caps thing was a nice attempt.

I followed the discussion... to the point that you made a generalization that was both unfounded and incorrect.

My advice: call them, don't mention your name, and see what they say. Sorry that nobody can actually answer your question without getting into an ethics debate.

Yeah, unfortunately they may not even know in admissions. Your best bet might be to get in touch with a med student at the school and ask about testing. Usually places are pretty good about giving advanced notice if they even test at all. There are plenty of med students (and even doctors) who smoke. The school does not want to catch a bunch of people by surprise and wind up having to discipline dozens of students. It would be embarrassing.

Re: medical marijuana and Obama

While Holder and Obama have said nice things about the DEA leaving states alone, at least one (and I think another, earlier one, right after the transition), DEA raid has hit a medical marijuana dispensary in California. Also, in the Federal trial of a dispensary owner, the judge held sentencing to discuss if new policy was going to change the type of punishment, but traditional sentencing was upheld.

So, while Obama and Holder might be moving things in that direction eventually, it's still really uncertain. Please don't count on it when making decisions, though.

Where have you been? Marijuana is part of our culture. It may not have been 100 years ago, but nowadays cannabis use is extremely common. In the 2007 YRBS, the CDC reported that 38.1% of high school students had tried marijuana at least once in their life. 19.7% had used it in the past 30 days. These numbers are actually down over the past decade! Marijuana use isn't something that a few criminals are doing in a back alley, it is a drug that a huge proportion of our population has tried or actively uses.

No, widespread use of it began as part of a counterculture movement half a century ago and has continued to this day among a minority of people, most of them young and curious. It is nowhere near the same level of use as alcohol, but it could be poised to if legalized. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but I am thinking that we will see a rise in use of other, more dangerous drugs since part of the appeal of marijuana for teens is the fact that it IS illegal.

Also, as to advice:

I would call/email anonymously.

You might want to consider giving it up for medical school. If not, you really want to make sure you don't go to a place where you could get tested. As stupid as marijuana's illegality is, being pragmatic about the risks/benefits involved is really important when you make a decision about where to go to school and whether to keep smoking or not.

Thank you, suenya and Jimmerjammer for actual advice!

Throw your voice. Or get one of the those voice changing thingamajiggies they have in the movies. :D

A lot of these posts scare me. Its human to break the law, anyone who disagrees is a liar. I can pretty much guarantee everyone of driving age has broken the law (speeding, running a red light/ stopsign etc.) In someway or another. So to say the law is the law is to say you are just as in the wrong as those who smoke pot. It scares me that many of the future doctors on this forum are so self righteous that they think the laws they break are negligable.

That being said, to the original poster: just have a friend call and ask for you on a public phone if you are paranoid about them recognizing your voice. In the end though it probably won't matter. Even if marijuana is legalized hospitals and schools will still probably screen for its use. Just as you can't be drunk while working in a hospital, they don't want you to be high on the job either. Unfortunately there are no immediate tests for marijuana as there are for alchohol (I.e. breathalizer). So, if you want to pursue a career in medicine you will have to quit eventually, not because its the law but because hospitals will likely always screen for it, even more so if its legalized.

Kinda a hot head aren't you? You do realize, you can't yell over the internet. But the all caps thing was a nice attempt.

I followed the discussion... to the point that you made a generalization that was both unfounded and incorrect.

What are you talking about? You put words in his mouth then bitch because he corrected you? Do yourself a favor and re-read the exchange because it's obvious to the rest of us that you made a leap in logic and were called on it and you're now playing the defensive.

I'm sorry Milkman, did you feel offended that I left you out of the covetous list? I thank you Milkman for your wonderful advice!

why doesn't anyone get my post? I'm not anti-mj. I'm not pro-mj. I don't have an opinion on the matter at all cause i can see both sides of the issue and i don't really care enough to examine it in depth and make up my mind. I have asthma, and don't even take tylenol, so i don't smoke, but it's not because i'm morally against it- i'm just not interested. My argument was simply that if i were the op, i'd suck it up and follow the law while it's in place, because i simply don't think that anything as stupid as this should really be worth his risking his future. It's very simple. If it makes me a "sheep" to not stand on principle and just mind my own business and enjoy myself without risking losing my acceptance to med school (which was years and years in the making), so be it. It's a matter of priorities: The moment i find something i care about enough to stand on principle and risk everything, i'll be rosa parking it up, but for now i'm fine with how the rules are and don't care enough to brake them.
however, obviously you disagree, so don't be a sheep and light up the next time you're in front of the dean of the med school where you're going. Knock yourself out. Someone on the waitlist will be really glad for your principles.

dayuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... where's the dude's reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.