How to ask a med school if they drug test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha bozz, what's it like being a cheerleader?

Wow. Just, wow. The automatic association between "living a little" and pot-smoking is either really funny or really sad. I haven't really decided which. You know what's really fun and isn't illegal? Sex. Also, alcohol, in moderation. Oh, and doing fun stuff with fun people.

I don't know LET, that sure sounds to me like a condescending attitude towards those who believe that living a little includes smoking some green here and there (trust me, like the guy above me who quoted statistics on America's usage, there are quite a few of us).

I'm pretty sure the bold phrase above constitutes an "opinion" despite you saying that "[you] don't have an opinion on the matter."

Like I said, I respect your choice to abstain especially given all the work you have put into your career, but you obviously demonstrate some miniscule amount of superiority over those of us who choose to break this law. I think it is an unjust and unethical law and I will choose to break it (ps it's break not brake) at my own risk. It's pretty easy to see an up-coming drug test and plan accordingly.

Lastly, the part that bozz bolded is pretty ridiculous. Do you honestly think that standing up for marijuana legalization (the right to do whatever I want with my body so long as it doesn't bring harm to others) constitutes me walking up to the dean of UCSD and sparking a J in protest? Come on LET, you make great posts on this website and I think you can reason yourself through this one..

It's like gay marriage: Do I need to be gay in order to fight against the ban on gay marriage? Of course not, and that's exactly how it is with MJ. As you can see there are plenty of people in this thread who don't indulge but would agree that the laws are pretty damn ass-backwards and that they are worth standing up for simply on the principle of the matter.

edit: As for the whole sheep thing, I'd agree with your most recent post.. it is illegal after all and you don't just want to throw away all those years of work for something so simple and stupid. Wanting to cover your own ass doesn't make you part of the herd.. I'd say it makes you smarter than most. It's just that I feel like there is so much anti-drug rhetoric in this thread and that people are just vomiting all over it without really reading into what they are saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man if anything, I'd say my experiences with this drug have all been so positive. It humbles me, makes me much nicer when dealing with other people, I'm much more optimistic than I was before I started smoking, and through necessity it's taught me how to balance school, work, and pleasure time. All these changes are permanent (i.e I don't need to be high to experience the above), and even with my casual usage I've been able to handle a premedical curriculum, ace the MCAT, get into a great medical school, and have a productive work, family, and social life just like any other normal human being. Does this make me an evil person?

Maybe I am just tired of all the flak I receive from friends who discover this. Some of them just pull a complete 180, as if I told them I killed their dog and their little sister. I simply do not understand it. I am the same person.

Haha I guess after reading all that again it makes me sound all stoner-y.. but whatever. It's how I feel and I think it's a good thing.

Man if anything, I'd say my experiences with this drug have all been so positive. It humbles me, makes me much nicer when dealing with other people, I'm much more optimistic than I was before I started smoking, and through necessity it's taught me how to balance school, work, and pleasure time. All these changes are permanent (i.e I don't need to be high to experience the above), and even with my casual usage I've been able to handle a premedical curriculum, ace the MCAT, get into a great medical school, and have a productive work, family, and social life just like any other normal human being. Does this make me an evil person?

Maybe I am just tired of all the flak I receive from friends who discover this. Some of them just pull a complete 180, as if I told them I killed their dog and their little sister. I simply do not understand it. I am the same person.

Haha I guess after reading all that again it makes me sound all stoner-y.. but whatever. It's how I feel and I think it's a good thing.

And i'm sorry, idk why but your first paragraph made me LOL.
Are you really still the same person?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha bozz, what's it like being a cheerleader?

I don't know LET, that sure sounds to me like a condescending attitude towards those who believe that living a little includes smoking some green here and there (trust me, like the guy above me who quoted statistics on America's usage, there are quite a few of us).

I'm pretty sure the bold phrase above constitutes an "opinion" despite you saying that "[you] don't have an opinion on the matter."

Like I said, I respect your choice to abstain especially given all the work you have put into your career, but you obviously demonstrate some miniscule amount of superiority over those of us who choose to break this law. I think it is an unjust and unethical law and I will choose to break it (ps it's break not brake) at my own risk. It's pretty easy to see an up-coming drug test and plan accordingly.

Lastly, the part that bozz bolded is pretty ridiculous. Do you honestly think that standing up for marijuana legalization (the right to do whatever I want with my body so long as it doesn't bring harm to others) constitutes me walking up to the dean of UCSD and sparking a J in protest? Come on LET, you make great posts on this website and I think you can reason yourself through this one..

It's like gay marriage: Do I need to be gay in order to fight against the ban on gay marriage? Of course not, and that's exactly how it is with MJ. As you can see there are plenty of people in this thread who don't indulge but would agree that the laws are pretty damn ass-backwards.

edit: As for the whole sheep thing, I'd agree with you.. it is illegal after all and you don't just want to throw away all those years of work for something so simple and stupid. Wanting to cover your own ass doesn't make you part of the herd.. I'd say it makes you smarter than most. It's just that I feel like there is so much anti-drug rhetoric in this thread and that people are just vomiting all over it without really reading into what they are saying.

Eh well, do what you will. The reason for the statement you bolded above was simply the finality of it: having fun = MJ use. Again, I have zero problem with people who smoke. I've dated them, been friends with them, and have no judgment against it in theory. I'm a big "live and let live" type of person.

Actually, the main reason for my statement is how subtly judgmental IT was. So if I didn't choose to smoke, it means I was a loser in college? Really? It means I didn't "live a little"?! That is just so absurd! I did a lot of different things to have fun in college, and I wouldn't dare suggest to anyone that their not having done them means they haven't truly experienced college. That's just ******ed. The fact that he's suggesting that not doing something that is technically illegal is a sign of being a loser is just the icing on the cake. It smacks of immaturity. It makes me think of those infomercials about "not saying no" to kids who think you're "uncool" if you don't drink at parties when you're 15. I mean, really, we're still there with drugs and alcohol? Really? We haven't grown out of that phase yet? I think that's pretty depressing.

I stand by what I said about you telling me that I'm a "sheep" and then doing the same exact thing. If you feel strongly about something, fix it. Talk to your representatives, take the legal way. If you want to do it and ignore the law, knock yourself out. But please don't hide behind the excuse of "civil disobedience" in order to do what you want when you want and not take responsibility for it. People who follow the law and people who don't because they disagree with it in principle are exactly the same. They just follow different compasses to guide their actions, and are ultimately equally afraid of consequences. I'm not judging, so don't judge me.

As for break/brake, thanks, but I'm cool. English is my third language, and I'm learning how to drive right now, so I guess cars are on the brain :D

you got a 45? (answer: no, but you could have if you hadn't fried your brain haha! j/k, I have no problem with smoking at all.)

And i'm sorry, idk why but your first paragraph made me LOL.
Are you really still the same person?

chiz2kul, I enjoy your posts so I will go easy on you. The two paragraphs are totally separate from each other...

Let me clarify: I am saying that when I tell these people that I smoke weed, they think of me as a different (horrible) person, despite being the SAME PERSON I was before telling them.

I still stand by my words about how I think my experiences with the drug have been overwhelmingly positive.

you got a 45? (answer: no, but you could have if you hadn't fried your brain haha! j/k, I have no problem with smoking at all.)

Close.. 39. I just want to say congrats on your acceptance OnlyNeedOneYes. Honestly, I love your story and I have been following your posts since I started this application cycle. It's good to know there is some justice in this system. When do you think you will hear back from WashU?

Close.. 39. I just want to say congrats on your acceptance OnlyNeedOneYes. Honestly, I love your story and I have been following your posts since I started this application cycle. It's good to know there is some justice in this system. When do you think you will hear back from WashU?

Thanks, I'm psyched that it worked out for me and it has certainly been a humbling year :) As far as WashU, I really don't know... I haven't seen Pitt's FinAid yet but if it is even decent, my wife and I have decided that we're not going to wait to hear about any other schools after 6/5 and I'll just go to Pitt. Most action should occur b/w 5/16 and 6/1, judging by previous years.

Eh well, do what you will. The reason for the statement you bolded above was simply the finality of it: having fun = MJ use. Again, I have zero problem with people who smoke. I've dated them, been friends with them, and have no judgment against it in theory. I'm a big "live and let live" type of person.

Fair enough. I guess upon reading it I didn't extract that sort of meaning from it and now that you've clarified yourself it makes a lot more sense.

I stand by what I said about you telling me that I'm a "sheep" and then doing the same exact thing. If you feel strongly about something, fix it. Talk to your representatives, take the legal way. If you want to do it and ignore the law, knock yourself out. But please don't hide behind the excuse of "civil disobedience" in order to do what you want when you want and not take responsibility for it. People who follow the law and people who don't because they disagree with it in principle are exactly the same. They just follow different compasses to guide their actions, and are ultimately equally afraid of consequences. I'm not judging, so don't judge me.

Oh believe me, I have sent many a strongly-worded letter to my california representatives. Although nothing sucks more than getting a boilerplate response from one of their secretaries (seems to be the norm now a days).

On the second bolded part, I fail to see how I am "hiding" behind the excuse of civil disobedience. Sure I am guilty of civil disobedience, but I am definitely taking whatever legal measures that are within my power to change the law. I am only one person but I am part of a greater cause. I guess you equate smoking out in public in front of the police station as the correct way to fight the power? Does that satisfy your request to "not hide"?

As for break/brake, thanks, but I'm cool. English is my third language, and I'm learning how to drive right now, so I guess cars are on the brain :D

Oh wow, you made it through college without a car? Maybe I am just too used to the southern california lifestyle to believe somebody could do this. Good thing you are handling this now because I hear it's a requirement to have a car in medical school. Good luck with your test, hope they don't make you parallel park.

Fair enough. I guess upon reading it I didn't extract that sort of meaning from it and now that you've clarified yourself it makes a lot more sense.

Oh believe me, I have sent many a strongly-worded letter to my california representatives. Although nothing sucks more than getting a boilerplate response from one of their secretaries (seems to be the norm now a days).

On the second bolded part, I fail to see how I am "hiding" behind the excuse of civil disobedience. Sure I am guilty of civil disobedience, but I am definitely taking whatever legal measures that are within my power to change the law. I am only one person but I am part of a greater cause. I guess you equate smoking out in public in front of the police station as the correct way to fight the power? Does that satisfy your request to "not hide"?

Oh wow, you made it through college without a car? Maybe I am just too used to the southern california lifestyle to believe somebody could do this. Good thing you are handling this now because I hear it's a requirement to have a car in medical school. Good luck with your test, hope they don't make you parallel park.

Well, I apologize for making assumptions. It sounds like you're on top of things and I really respect that :). My issue is with people who argue that the very act of doing something illegal is a way to rebel against the law itself. It's not.

And yeah, I've always lived in big cities so I never needed to learn to drive...not so much now I'm moving to the south though. Blah. Apparently CA doesn't make me parallel park, which is a-okay with me.

Well, I apologize for making assumptions. It sounds like you're on top of things and I really respect that :). My issue is with people who argue that the very act of doing something illegal is a way to rebel against the law itself. It's not.

And yeah, I've always lived in big cities so I never needed to learn to drive...not so much now I'm moving to the south though. Blah. Apparently CA doesn't make me parallel park, which is a-okay with me.

Couldn't agree with you more LET. I enjoyed our ridiculous debate, keep on keeping on. Also, I have two friends who have decided on vandy (also received v. generous financial packages) and they absolutely loved second look. It totally makes me regret turning down my interview there.

Are there any schools that use hair to test drugs prior to matriculation? All the schools do urine tests right?

Are there any schools that use hair to test drugs prior to matriculation? All the schools do urine tests right?

It would be nice if they did since they would actually be able to weed out, forgive the pun, the hard drug users. It's possible to detect Cocaine and opiates for far longer after use when hair is used. Then in this case, the marijuana users wouldn't be the main class of users who suffer inordinately from drug testing policies. I'd imagine schools would rather have a stoner medical student than a junkie.

But honestly, I doubt any would test hair. Enjoy those long, hippie-like locks of hair you have, LaCasta. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the case, regardless of whether you consider it "soapbox" or not.

If the school does a drug test, you're screwed. If the school doesn't do a drug test, you aren't. I don't really see how knowing ahead of time is really going to help you at all considering how long the stuff stays in your system.

And I don't believe the crap about "coming down too hard on those who smoke pot occasionally." If it was an occasional, controllable habit, then this wouldn't even be an issue. You simply stop smoking. Because it's clearly NOT a controllable habit, since he felt he had to ask anyway, then the OP really dug his own grave.

You want a 100% chance of getting through a drug test? Control yourself. If you can't, then there really isn't anything that anyone here can do to make your situation any better.

Case closed.

Because it's clearly NOT a controllable habit, since he felt he had to ask anyway, then the OP really dug his own grave.

I wouldn't assume that. I would imagine he's trying to determine IF he needs to stop or not, since it's only April.

But, regardless, I'm with you. Case closed.

I wouldn't assume that. I would imagine he's trying to determine IF he needs to stop or not, since it's only April.

I would disagree.

I wouldn't get onto SDN to ask if the admission committees would look down on the fact I am not currently clean-shaven. And I wouldn't deliberate over whether or not I should shave before going, or whether I should simply risk the look. I KNOW they won't get offended if I do shave, and I don't know whether they will if I don't. So what is the logical choice? I shave.

Luckily for me, shaving is quite controllable. In fact, I rather dislike shaving, but to be honest, I can easily pick up a razor and, in mere minutes, be clean shaven and as hairless upon my face as something witty that has no hair. So I feel no need to ask SDN as to their opinion. I simply shave.

He felt the need to come here, which indicates that the decision is not as easy for him. And, to be fair, this decision should be MUCH easier for him than my shaving decision, because the consequences for him are far worse than they could possibly be for me. If it's not an easy decision, then his habit is not easily controllable. If that's the case, then he's dug himself a grave anyway. And knowing ahead of time whether or not they do drug testing isn't really going to help if he doesn't feel like stopping for any other reason.

It's slow at work, so I'll go ahead and respond to that.

OP is accepted. He's inquiring of medical schools now in April if they drug test or not. You truly think that if his top choice school does drug test then he will continue smoking pot, because he is that much of a slave to it? Really?

Either you never have read any research about marijuana AND have never experimented with marijuana AND never have had a friend who smoked marijuana, or :shrug:.

OP is accepted. He's inquiring of medical schools now in April if they drug test or not. You truly think that if his top choice school does drug test then he will continue smoking pot, because he is that much of a slave to it? Really?

Either you never have read any research about marijuana AND have never experimented with marijuana AND never have had a friend who smoked marijuana, or :shrug:.

Wrong and wrong about your bottom assumptions.

I think that if he even feels the need to ask instead of just doing the SMART thing and stopping regardless of what we say, then he's far enough into it to be in trouble, regardless. I mean, honestly, if we all told him he'll be fine, and there's no need to worry, he'd still be a complete ***** to risk it.

So yeah, he's slave enough to even QUESTION risking his medical career he's worked for 4+ years toward just for the sake of getting high. That's not a casual habit any more.

OP: how was 4/20 brotha....

I had a blast...:D

So yeah, he's slave enough to even QUESTION risking his medical career he's worked for 4+ years toward just for the sake of getting high. That's not a casual habit any more.

Alright, so what it seems it comes down to then is priorities. Although having a risk-free application process and medical career may be at the top of your list, it may not be at the top of OP's list. He'd probably be very successful doing a lot of different things in a more liberal profession when it comes to drug testing policies. Perhaps in a couple years the risk will outweigh the benefits when he hears he will have to be drug tested before starting his rotations. Perhaps he won't like smoking anymore by that time, who knows. But to say he's in some way incapable of quitting, I think you're off base.

chiz2kul, I enjoy your posts so I will go easy on you. The two paragraphs are totally separate from each other...

Let me clarify: I am saying that when I tell these people that I smoke weed, they think of me as a different (horrible) person, despite being the SAME PERSON I was before telling them.

I still stand by my words about how I think my experiences with the drug have been overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks for going easy on me :D

I'm far from an addict. I smoke once or twice a month, after exam weeks usually. I just want to know if I HAVE to stop, because if I don't have to, I won't. If I knew definitively that the school I'm going to drug tests, I would stop. Thanks for the responses everyone.

I couldn't smoke on 4/20, I had a biochem and cell bio exam the next day. However, 4/21 was fun...

I don't think she did. Here's what she said:

Some states allow medicinal marijuana.

To the OP -- grow the hell up. You're going to med school. Quit acting like a frat boy. Even if you don't see anything wrong with marijuana, it's still illegal. I can't believe that 700 people will chime in to call someone a tool for wearing scrubs, but most people around here think it's fine for someone to break the law and even give him tips on how to hide it from his med school.

:::shakes head:::

I"m graduating in a month from med school. Everyone I know has smoked up during school at some point. I don't know any chronic users, but know ppl who've used a lot. So honestly, grow up, and let ppl who can't control their habits get screwed up the butt and ppl who do smoke it occasionaly a break. It's not like we're talking a drug that in and of itself has really bad side effects and long-term effects. Seriously, I've seen hundreds of cocaine users and heroin users and benzo abusers in the hospital for serious illnesses from their addictions. I've only seen one pot smoker, who got to go into the quiet room for a few hours because he knowingly took pot laced with something.

To the OP: honestly, just don't smoke for a couple months since you seem to smoke up regularly. Take the test, and go on with your life...oh and no poppy seed muffins or hamentashen for a few weeks before either. And do NOT have any cough syrup right before the test either. And I'd stay away from any pain killers other than asprin, tylenol, or ibuprofen. Drug screens are stupid tests that can easily **** you up with false positives. Don't screw em up.

EDIT* once or twice a month? 10-14 days drug free should be fine.

I"m graduating in a month from med school. Everyone I know has smoked up during school at some point. I don't know any chronic users, but know ppl who've used a lot. So honestly, grow up, and let ppl who can't control their habits get screwed up the butt and ppl who do smoke it occasionaly a break. It's not like we're talking a drug that in and of itself has really bad side effects and long-term effects. Seriously, I've seen hundreds of cocaine users and heroin users and benzo abusers in the hospital for serious illnesses from their addictions. I've only seen one pot smoker, who got to go into the quiet room for a few hours because he knowingly took pot laced with something.

To the OP: honestly, just don't smoke for a couple months since you seem to smoke up regularly. Take the test, and go on with your life...oh and no poppy seed muffins or hamentashen for a few weeks before either. And do NOT have any cough syrup right before the test either. And I'd stay away from any pain killers other than asprin, tylenol, or ibuprofen. Drug screens are stupid tests that can easily **** you up with false positives. Don't screw em up.

Good advice. I got in touch (anonymously) with a second year student at the school, and this person said he/she wasn't given a drug test upon entering.

This means that any state or local law that contradicts federal law is invalid. Therefore any law that legalizes/decriminalizes marijuana or any other substance made illegal by federal law is invalid. Marijuana is illegal in every state in the United States and the physicians who write prescriptions for medical marijuana are braking the law.

Uhm, no. Congress has a list of enumerated powers that they can make laws in regards too. The War on Drugs isn't one of them. listed in Article 1 Section 8. and per the 10th Amendment, anything not specifically delegated to the Feds are left to the states or the people.

That being said, I can't stand dope (legal or otherwise)......

Yep, from a second hand account it is less if you take niacin to flush the system. (I don't think I have ever been drug tested or have been in a position where I would fail one. Actually I would fail NCAA drug testing because of my pre-game caffeine habit, but not weed or any other drug.)

Obviously you don't want to fail a drug test, but other than not failing, who cares. Smoke if you want. A lot of peoples' choice of the matter comes from the geographic location they are from, childhood and adolescent economic situation, upbringing, education on the matter of marajuana use (you can be an intelligent smoker, I know plenty), and experience with ye 'olde weed.

Also, how high your horse is (no pun intended) matters as well. To all you upstanding moral prospective medical doctors, I don't know yet b/c I'm in your position, but I can assume with great certainty your going to be gravely disappointed as a health professional if you plan on policing your patients' morals like the NKVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.