How to ask for a recommendation Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I found a volunteer program at a hospital to shadow doctors and gain clinical experience, and the program requires one recommendation letter. I would like to ask my professor or lab instructor for a letter. Have any of you asked for a letter by email? I don't know how to approach them or what to write in the email? I need help.

Members don't see this ad.

You simply ask them "Do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my application to med school?"

Do it in person.
Thanks for responding. The recommendation letter is for a volunteer program

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it in person and GIVE them A DEADLINE!
Don't be pushy, polite and concise

Assuming they know you well enough...

1. Say what you need the letter for
2. A little about the program you're applying to
3. A timeline for when you need the letter by
4. Add some polite things here and there (e.g. "Thank you for taking the time to consider my request — it means very much to me" etc etc)

Ask them in person if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I found a volunteer program at a hospital to shadow doctors and gain clinical experience, and the program requires one recommendation letter. I would like to ask my professor or lab instructor for a letter. Have any of you asked for a letter by email? I don't know how to approach them or what to write in the email? I need help.

I agree with Goro.

What I liked to do is have a folder ready for them in case they said yes.
The folder usually contained:

Undergrad transcript (only for professors)
Personal statement
Instructions on how to write a letter of recommendation for med school (on aamc website)
Forms that my school required

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone. You have all been helpful