How to ask for a recommendation Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maraj34

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I found a volunteer program at a hospital to shadow doctors and gain clinical experience, and the program requires one recommendation letter. I would like to ask my professor or lab instructor for a letter. Have any of you asked for a letter by email? I don't know how to approach them or what to write in the email? I need help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do it in person and GIVE them A DEADLINE!
Don't be pushy, polite and concise
 
Assuming they know you well enough...

1. Say what you need the letter for
2. A little about the program you're applying to
3. A timeline for when you need the letter by
4. Add some polite things here and there (e.g. "Thank you for taking the time to consider my request — it means very much to me" etc etc)

Ask them in person if you can.
 
Hello everyone,

I found a volunteer program at a hospital to shadow doctors and gain clinical experience, and the program requires one recommendation letter. I would like to ask my professor or lab instructor for a letter. Have any of you asked for a letter by email? I don't know how to approach them or what to write in the email? I need help.

I agree with Goro.


What I liked to do is have a folder ready for them in case they said yes.
The folder usually contained:

Undergrad transcript (only for professors)
Personal statement
Instructions on how to write a letter of recommendation for med school (on aamc website)
Forms that my school required