How to Assess Medical Schools? (Accepted)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrianym

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was recently accepted to Loyola Stritch School of Medicine (yay!). I absolutely loved the school when I interviewed, and although I have a few more interviews, I am already envisioning myself going there. The thing is, I have seen people refer to Loyola as "low tier," mostly on SDN. I always thought that because US MD schools are so competitive to get into, and so stringently regulated, that almost any school I go to will be a "good" school.
I realize that Loyola is not Harvard or Johns Hopkins, but to be honest, I'm okay not going to these kinds of schools. I graduated in the top 10% of my class (private, research university), have strong, well-rounded extracurriculars, and worked my butt off for this, so I am trying not to feel "inadequate" compared to students who were accepted to these schools. Not to discredit them, I'm sure they're brilliant, but I like to think that the medical school that someone attends is not a definitive measure of their capability as a physician.

My question is, will Loyola Chicago prepare me for a good residency program in general surgery? I saw on their website that 40% of students go into primary care, but I also saw that they have about 8% go into general surgery, which seems normal compared to what I saw on other match lists. If I work hard and perform well, will it be significantly more difficult for me to get into a good, competitive residency than it is for someone at a "higher tier" school?

Also, I can't find Loyola's 2018 Match List, so if anyone has that, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Every US med school will prepare you equally poorly for any residency. If you want to do surgery, you'll be able to get there regardless of which US MD school you attend.

Since you've already been accepted to Loyola, you should email them to ask for the past 3 years' match lists. I'm sure they'd be happy to share that info with a potential matriculant.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, I was recently accepted to Loyola Stritch School of Medicine (yay!). I absolutely loved the school when I interviewed, and although I have a few more interviews, I am already envisioning myself going there. The thing is, I have seen people refer to Loyola as "low tier," mostly on SDN. I always thought that because US MD schools are so competitive to get into, and so stringently regulated, that almost any school I go to will be a "good" school.
I realize that Loyola is not Harvard or Johns Hopkins, but to be honest, I'm okay not going to these kinds of schools. I graduated in the top 10% of my class (private, research university), have strong, well-rounded extracurriculars, and worked my butt off for this, so I am trying not to feel "inadequate" compared to students who were accepted to these schools. Not to discredit them, I'm sure they're brilliant, but I like to think that the medical school that someone attends is not a definitive measure of their capability as a physician.

My question is, will Loyola Chicago prepare me for a good residency program in general surgery? I saw on their website that 40% of students go into primary care, but I also saw that they have about 8% go into general surgery, which seems normal compared to what I saw on other match lists. If I work hard and perform well, will it be significantly more difficult for me to get into a good, competitive residency than it is for someone at a "higher tier" school?

Also, I can't find Loyola's 2018 Match List, so if anyone has that, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! :D
Every medical school, from JAB to Harvard, from Albany to Yale, from U WA to U Miami, will prepare you for residency.

Getting into that residency is 100% on you.

Google is also your friend:

https://ssom.luc.edu/media/stritchs...tch Spring appeal match day fact sheet-r2.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No USMD school will hold you back. What residency you get will be 100% on you.

Go to the school you like best.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

You will be able to match general surgery from Loyola without too much trouble

Reactions: 3 users
Loyola is a great school, congratulations! You will not be held back from any specialty from any US MD school, Loyola included. If you still want to go into general surgery in four years, if your application is solid, you will be in good shape. Good luck!

My question is, will Loyola Chicago prepare me for a good residency program in general surgery?...If I work hard and perform well, will it be significantly more difficult for me to get into a good, competitive residency than it is for someone at a "higher tier" school?
@arrianym congratulations on your acceptance!

Competitive Step 1 score and solid application (e.g., honors, LORs) ... that's the typical pathway into "general surgery" for medical students. Jump in, work hard, perform well, and the OR will be waiting for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
N=1, but my mom graduated from Stritch and ended up doing IM residency at UMD and fellowship at Hopkins. Anything is possible

Reactions: 1 user
I thought it all depended on how well you perform on step and that most students use the same materials

I thought it all depended on how well you perform on step and that most students use the same materials

Why would residency programs put all the weight on a single 280-question exam that is usually administered before clerkships? Step 1 gets a disproportionate amount of attention because it is the first major hurdle, and residency programs do use it to screen applications (although there are many different ways to use Step scores in screening). Once that is finished then students suddenly find they have to turn their attention to performing well in clinical rotations (core and elective), shelf exams, Step 2, research, etc., which in turn gets a strong MSPE (formerly known as the dean's letter).

Reactions: 1 user