How to be better at interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Eliminate the word "like" from your vocabulary. Please.
  2. Also: "umm", "you know?", "OK?", "So..."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Looks at the date.... Sees faculty badge... Great advice! I assume it's been a long interview season?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

So ummm, are you like, you know, OK now? From all the interview torment?

Reactions: 15 users
So ummm, are you like, you know, OK now? From all the interview torment?
6d2226d7a25cd7c37bd2b3d773d328101692676f27232283ee2ffd84afd89f9f.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
This is fun.

How to be better at interviewing: pretend you're an adult for about 5 hours.

Reactions: 10 users
i thought peak valley girl speak was mid oughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
But, um, you know, people start sentences with “so..” a lot, and like, that’s very common, so um, how do you recommend going about it?

Reactions: 1 user
But, um, you know, people start sentences with “so..” a lot, and like, that’s very common, so um, how do you recommend going about it?
Just start every sentence with "So, like..." and make every sentence sound like a question, and my job will be much easier. Bonus points if your first sentence just repeats my question back to me.

Reactions: 5 users
May I add?

If you’re asked a question, answer the question. Don’t manipulate the situation to talk about yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
I typically sound like an adult when I speak but I’m SO afraid that once those nerves get ahold of me I’m gonna sound like 9th grade girl. Definitely gonna do mock interviews out the wazoo.

eliminate "sucks" for just a few hours.

And see if you can figure out more professional-sounding synonyms for "stupid", "dumb", and "idiot".

And if you're asked a question about a controversial subject, don't add your opinion if it's not not asked for.

I had a faculty interviewer refer to a certain president with the f-word, is this bait or something?

I know this isn’t exactly pertaining to the original post. But I have searched and also read Goros interview guide but I was unable to find example questions of what one could expect to hear in an interview. Outside of the more generic why here and why medicine which seems to be common. Are they mostly all questions that pertain to the individual being interviewed (ie there accomplishments and ec’s, and how they relate to med school and medicine). Or are there more difficult questions that our well outside the realm of your application. If its not pushing it. I would love to hear some example questions, be it from a person that has interviewed already. Or some of the faculty. Thanks

I know this isn’t exactly pertaining to the original post. But I have searched and also read Goros interview guide but I was unable to find example questions of what one could expect to hear in an interview. Outside of the more generic why here and why medicine which seems to be common. Are they mostly all questions that pertain to the individual being interviewed (ie there accomplishments and ec’s, and how they relate to med school and medicine). Or are there more difficult questions that our well outside the realm of your application. If its not pushing it. I would love to hear some example questions, be it from a person that has interviewed already. Or some of the faculty. Thanks
Let's set up a dedicated thread for that instead of derailing this one and burying the sample questions in an unrelated thread.

There's an entire section of SDN devoted to Interview Feedback

Interviewed at a school and one of the med student reps would "umm" every few seconds when questioned and occasionally hit us with an "umm...umm...umm." Gave me hope until the hard rejection.

There's an entire section of SDN devoted to Interview Feedback
Found it. Apparently didn’t look hard enough. Thank you!

May I add?

If you’re asked a question, answer the question. Don’t manipulate the situation to talk about yourself.

And if the question specifically addresses a weak point on your application, own up to it and show some friggin' responsibility and maturity. Can we please stop with the half-assed excuses?

Is that a note for us or a note to yourself as you write comments??
Don't play dumb with me, I'm not an idiot. I'm not interviewing to get into med school. Don't ask stupid questions.
:wideyed:My wise colleague is one of the nicest people on SDN! It takes some talent to piss him off!

Is that a note for us or a note to yourself as you write comments??

:wideyed:My wise colleague is one of the nicest people on SDN! It takes some talent to piss him off!
Nah, I wasn't pissed. I was using all three words (dumb, stupid, idiot) in one post to be funny. ;)

I think being brutally honest throughout your interview day is a plus:

I told my first interviewer (a pediatrician) that I'm not interested in PEDS (since I'm not) so she knew I wasn't a typical BSing interviewee who is just saying things that she wants to hear.

I told my second interviewer that I'm very conservative, against socialized medicine, and pro-life (again, because I am). Then, when I told him that this school is my top choice (which it was) he actually believed me.

End result: Accepted outright less than 2 weeks later.

Added bonus: If you tell the truth, you don't have to prepare as much and your responses don't seem robotic.

Unprofessionalism on display.
I had a faculty who cursed throughout the interview :):):):):):) All the goodies F***, s***, a**, etc