How to be more competitor for Direct accession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batmansvoice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand direct commission is increasingly becoming more and more difficult, but I still want to try to serve with the Army or Navy on active duty. Right now I am about three years out of school and have been working in public health. Is there anything I can do to make myself a more competitive applicant? I am currently planning to specialize in Dental Public Health but was not sure if this was a needed specialty for the military. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Also I mean to say competitive in the title and not competitor.

There’s only one slot for public health in the army per year, and probably single digit number of public health dentists, so no it isn’t a needed specialty unfortunately. With the military moving more towards downsizing active duty Dental/medical, and with plenty of dentists coming through HPSP, I would imagine it would be extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to direct commission. There are more contract/GS positions available as that’s more the direction we seem to be heading, if that interests you, however it is not active duty. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s only one slot for public health in the army per year, and probably single digit number of public health dentists, so no it isn’t a needed specialty unfortunately. With the military moving more towards downsizing active duty Dental/medical, and with plenty of dentists coming through HPSP, I would imagine it would be extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to direct commission. There are more contract/GS positions available as that’s more the direction we seem to be heading, if that interests you, however it is not active duty. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Out of curiosity, would reserves be an option for Dental Public Health or even in general or is there also downsizing for the reserves?

I actually just had a buddy join the Army reserves within the last couple months, and it didn’t seem like a difficult process for him, so I think it’s definitely still an option. They would most likely utilize you as a general dentist for your time in this case.

I am not sure if it is a matter of being competitive anymore.
I would contact a recruiter ASAP about direction accession. I would highly emphasis this question, "is this an option for me"

That's all I can say.

I am not sure if it is a matter of being competitive anymore.
I would contact a recruiter ASAP about direction accession. I would highly emphasis this question, "is this an option for me"

That's all I can say.
Thanks! Is coming in as a Public Health Dentist 63H possible for the Reserve components from your experience especially in regards to news of downsizing?

Thanks! Is coming in as a Public Health Dentist 63H possible for the Reserve components from your experience especially in regards to news of downsizing?
No idea.
I would imagine most reserve billets are for general dentist since their primarily duty is exam during drill weekends. But I am 100% speculating.

Your reserve recruiter would have more information.