How to become a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexyfly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Sophomore in High School. I am looking at different careers in a science field. I am a very science oriented person. I got a 95% in physical science, 97% in bio, and I currently have a 90% in Chemistry. I am currently doing an internship with the Ocean Institute in Dana Point CA. There I am doing research that gets sent to Stanford University. I am very outgoing and love talking to people.

Okay now for my question. What should I do to become a pharmacist? What are my requirements? Do you think that it would be a good fit for me based on what I have told you? Is there another field that might suit me better? I am just looking at all my possibilities right now.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, you have to come to terms with the pharmacy job market not being all that great right now. With a large increase to the number of schools opening up along with more graduates being pumped out, the ball is on the employers' side of the court. If you want to become a pharmacist, first volunteer at a retail chain and see how you like it. The majority of the jobs are in retail so based on that alone, you're more likely to be employed there. You also have to take into account your loans for undergrad and pharmacy school. Going 150k-200k+ in debt with shaky job security and uncertainty in the future of the job market is a scary thing to think about. Do your homework and find out what would be the best fit for you not only career-wise, but money-wise as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Volunteer/work in a retail pharmacy and make sure you can stand working there the rest of your life. You're not guaranteed to work retail, but it is most likely.

On what is required, each pharmacy school has different though similar requirements for applying. Normally these include Organic Chemistry and some advanced biology (Micro, genetics, cell, etc.). You can look at each school website in your state and see what they require. Most also require you take the PCAT. Most schools do not require a bachelor's before applying (2 years of prerequisites required), though some do and many applicants have one now.

I have no idea what you would like best or what would fit you, but experience is always the best teacher.

10th grade, you still have way too much time to finish your schools and find your true interest and talent. Go shadow/volunteer/work first.