How to best preview for Organic Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to take Organic Chem this fall and want to know what you all found to help you the most in doing well in the course. I've not had Inorganic Chem in about 5 years so I'm a little rusty with the subject altogether.

Members don't see this ad.

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language (both books)
and
Pushing Electrons

Oh, and lots and lots and lots of problems.

If you are looking for additional review materials, you can order good general reviews from the American Chemical Society (a lot of colleges use their exams for finals, as it leads to ACS accreditation). It saved my Orgo 2 grade. MCAT organic chemistry reviews help, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language (both books)
Oh, and lots and lots and lots of problems.

:thumbup:

I didn't like Pushing Electrons whatsoever, but it's a cheap book and a pretty fast read, if you want to try it. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is an outstanding book. (They also have Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language.)

I'm looking to take Organic Chem this fall and want to know what you all found to help you the most in doing well in the course. I've not had Inorganic Chem in about 5 years so I'm a little rusty with the subject altogether.
For the next year, study organic chemistry for an hour every single day. Seriously. Read the chapters through once, then work all of the problems at the end of the chapter yourself before looking at the solutions manual, and go to the prof's office hours. Even if you don't think you need extra help, go anyway. We would often give people who showed up for office hours "tips" for the exams. Plus, if you think you might want a LOR from the organic prof, it would be helpful if s/he knew who you were. :luck: to you. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to pick up Organic Chemistry as a Second Language(sounds less acerbic than Idiots Guide to OChem). Great thing about the university I'm taking OChem at is they have MW lecture with F recitation. Having that, the guide, reading and doing mucho chem problems, I should be aight. :D

...any similarly recommended books to prep for Physics?

Thanks...

Will have Organic II as a summer session class (5-week course)... lecture three hours three days a week (and then lab). Any suggestions for how to do well in this compressed time? Class starts in a week.

Heyas,

I will second the "Second Language" books. They provide some KEY mechanistic approaches that have been left out some current Ochem texts.

Just from my experience....I had an absolutley superior Ochem prof. He didn't teach from powerpoints, nor the order in the book. Rather he taught the mechanics of Ochem right up front, and thus gave you the necessary tools to tackle almost any problem.

The other profs at my school spoon fed right from the text. As a result, their students got wasted on the ACS Orgo exam. 8 out of 16 of my professors students scored above the 85th percentile on the ACS, which is fantastic.

Teaching method is key with Organic Chemistry. Make sure you do due dilligence when picking a section...

Best,
Oldie

Actually, I just picked up Organic Chemistry I for Dummies along with the second language one. So far I am happy with it, and it is also cheaper than the second language one if you are tight for cash.

how many hours a day did you guys spend studying ochem during a non summer session?

I studied 2-3 days per week May be about 16 hrs. per week.

Brushing up on your inorganic might not be a bad idea either....although in most Orgo books the first chapter or two are essentially a review of inorganic chemistry. A great solutions manual can work wonders...atleast for me since I took it summer A with an awful professor...I still managed an A thanks to about 20-25 hours a week of studying/practice problems. There is no simple way of learning Orgo, you have to get knee deep in the subject material and really understand what is going on every step of the way...memorization will only get you so far...

I looked on B&N and there are three or four different books/versions/titles, "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language." Which is the one that you all found helpful? Did you use this as a supplement to your textbook? Which one should I get? I will have OC II as a five-week course but could still use a little help in refreshing on OC I.

...any similarly recommended books to prep for Physics? Thanks...
I checked Scarl's How to Solve Problems for Success in Freshman Physics Engineering and Beyond out of the library and thought it was useful - but there was such time pressure in our exams that I couldn't really put Scarl's methods to their best use when it counted. The other thing I would recommend for physics is making sure you know trig before starting the class (if you're not doing calc-based physics).

Another vote for Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

And I can't stress enough how important it is to practice reactions. When you get your text and start the class, do the questions and exercises regardless of whether your prof assigns them. You gain a lot from it.

And drown yourself in flash cards. They're my bible for classes like OChem.

And don't sweat it too bad. I went in to OChem with a sense of dread, having heard horror stories. Some folks found it nightmarish, but others thought it wasn't too bad. I found myself in the latter camp, and I'm not a particularly bright student. You never know.

Another vote for Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

And I can't stress enough how important it is to practice reactions. When you get your text and start the class, do the questions and exercises regardless of whether your prof assigns them. You gain a lot from it.

And drown yourself in flash cards. They're my bible for classes like OChem.

And don't sweat it too bad. I went in to OChem with a sense of dread, having heard horror stories. Some folks found it nightmarish, but others thought it wasn't too bad. I found myself in the latter camp, and I'm not a particularly bright student. You never know.

My congratulations to you sir on your acceptance to UC Davis!
I am glad you will be able to remain in this beautiful state. Well Done!

My congratulations to you sir on your acceptance to UC Davis!
I am glad you will be able to remain in this beautiful state. Well Done!
Thanks, Nasrudin. I may have gotten accepted later than everybody, but we'll all start at the same time...