How to boost app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoctor_56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really trying to get into med school. I just finished my first semester. When would be the best time to get clinical and research experience? I don't even know what I want to research... I joined a few clubs this semester but I know I'll never be good enough to be a president of a club. What are some other leadership experiences that I could consider? Thanks! Med school is my dream!

Members don't see this ad.

but I know I'll never be good enough to be a president of a club
Not with this attitude you won't. Being president of a club isn't easy, but it's not the most difficult thing in the world either. Unless you have ambitions for something like Amnesty International, Red Cross, AMSA, or another large group, committing yourself to a smaller org will allow you to get your face visible. You're still a freshmen, right? You have time. When the group holds elections for e-board, try to get in and then work your way up. President might be difficult, but it's not impossible by any means.
When would be the best time to get clinical and research experience?
Does your university allow research for credit? I was able to email professors and join a lab for Independent Research credit that went towards me major my second year. I also did an internship over the summer after my first year.

Slow down. Worry about bringing up your GPA before finding a research gig. Very few freshmen get involved in research. See how your next semester goes academically and perhaps start looking for research opportunities for sophomore year. Research at your school will probably be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Being president of a club isn't the only way to get leadership experience. If every applicant was president of this club or that club, it wouldn't mean anything. Plus, there are people who ran for president of a club solely for the purpose of putting it on their application, and then didn't fulfill their responsibilities very well when given the position...that would not reflect positively. Point is, find some leadership experience that you can commit to and means something to you, rather than solely being concerned about prestige of the position.

Reactions: 1 user