How to break into clinical jobs when it's been a while...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vic998

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I'm a 3rd year undergrad that decided to commit to pre-med during the COVID lockdown. My clinical hours are basically nonexistent and I would like to change that but I'm not sure how to make myself a desirable applicant for clinical jobs again, or if I'm worrying too much.

I underwent an EMT-B training program the summer after my 1st year of undergrad. During this training I got BLS CPR and FEMA certifications, as well as experience shadowing a shift. The EMT and CPR certifications expire June 2021.

Problem is, I swept that under the rug for a while and then COVID hit, so I couldn't find work without worrying about infecting my grandparents. I currently feel so far removed from the whole clinical scene that I am worried about whether or not I can break into it again. More specifically, I don't know how to brush up on my EMS knowledge effectively to again be considered a desirable applicant for EMS, CNA, or MA roles.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what I can do?
 
Here are some options:
patient transporter
Patient safety aide (sitter)
dietary aide (interactions with patients mainly, will not be doing procedures)
radiology,endoscopy tech, surgical tech (those positions with no licenses needed)

I have used my EMT-B license to be an inpatient transporter at my hospital.