How to brush up on Orgo?

Started by afk94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

afk94

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took Orgo I last spring and haven't really brushed up on it this summer. I was busy doing research and working and by the time I realized I needed to study, school had already started. I have about 1 month to review and study for my first Orgo II exam. Anyone else have some experience taking Orgo I in the Spring and Orgo II in the fall?
 
Not truly necessary. If anything just look at the old reaction mechanisms and give them a once over so you remember them for synthesis on exams.

Here's orgo I:

1. Nucleophiles "attack" (i.e make bonds with) electrophiles
2. Electronegative groups are electron withdrawing and therefore electronically stabilizing. Nature wants to spread out the negative charge on a molecule as much as possible.
3. Because of (2) anions with more electronegative groups are more stable, aka their cations are more acidic (if the anion is more stable that means the cation wants to get rid of its hydrogens to get to that stable state)
4. Highly electronegative groups make good leaving groups. If a bond has to go after a new one is formed, these bonds are probably a good bet.
5. Synthesis: You either make a bond, break a bond, add a proton or remove a proton. That's it. There is nothing else that happens in all of organic chemistry save for adsorption with metal/gas synthesis but that's like two reactions.


There you reviewed and are now ready for Ochem II.
 
I took Orgo I last spring and haven't really brushed up on it this summer. I was busy doing research and working and by the time I realized I needed to study, school had already started. I have about 1 month to review and study for my first Orgo II exam. Anyone else have some experience taking Orgo I in the Spring and Orgo II in the fall?
It's only been a few months, you'll remember it lol