How to calculate science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumanBeing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 160 hours of undergrad courses with a major in computer science. How do I know out of all those courses what to truly count as sciences? What about all the computer "science" courses? What about psychology? Sociology? Nutrition? All math classes?

What about if I withdrew from a class without a grade?

What about masters level computer "science" courses? Are those science courses?

What if I repeat a course like general chemistry where I previously got a B and maybe now got an A? Do the B and A get avg'd together or does the A replace the B?

Does upper division or lower division have a difference on science gpa?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have 160 hours of undergrad courses with a major in computer science. How do I know out of all those courses what to truly count as sciences? What about all the computer "science" courses? What about psychology? Sociology? Nutrition? All math classes?

No such thing as a "Science GPA" (unless you are doing TMDSAS.) Since your location says CO, I'll assume no TMDSAS.

You want to compute your BCPM GPA, where BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Your BCPM GPA includes all Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math courses that you took. I don't know why so many people don't get it.

So:

Computer Science = NOT BCPM
Psychology = NOT BCPM
Sociology = NOT BCPM
Nutrition = NOT BCPM
Math = YES BCPM

Rather than take my word for it, however, you should read the AMCAS instructions. There is a very detailed section which tells you how to categorize courses (including what constitutes B,C,P,and M courses.)

Not included in any GPA, but you may need to explain the "W" on a secondary or (rarely) during an interview.

See above. However, to illustrate a point, assume you asked about Graduate Math classes instead of Graduate Computer Science courses. The answer is still no, because BCPM is only for undergraduate classes. Your graduate coursework will be included in your Graduate GPA only.

What if I repeat a course like general chemistry where I previously got a B and maybe now got an A? Do the B and A get avg'd together or does the A replace the B?

For AMCAS all courses are counted (i.e. averaged together) for AACOMAS, the A replaces the B (I believe -- I didn't apply to Osteopathic schools.)

No

Thanks!

Hi, there,

First things first. Here are a couple of guides that AAMC put together for your reference. The first one talks about what counts in what category and is a general description of how coursework is handled on the AMCASD, the second shows you how to do grade conversion and calculation.

Page 71 onward: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2007instructions.pdf

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

AMCAS calculates BCPM instead of "science" GPA. BCPM classes are classified by content, by the department, so the classes should consist primarily of BCPM, or biology, chemistry, physics, or math, to be considered in the "science", or BCPM GPA. All undergraduate BCPM classes are averaged into the undergraduate cummulative BCPM GPA, including any repeats you might have taken, and any undergraduate BCPM courses taken post-baccalaureate.

For the most part, if your school did not count your course withdrawal in it's GPA calculations, neither will AMCAS. Check out the first guide for more information.

Undergraduate GPA is broken down by status (Freshman, Sophomore, etc., post-baccalaureate). Your graduate GPA is separate from your undergraduate GPA, the two don't meet. Anyway, you'll see when you review the two aforementioned AAMC references.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Astronomy count as physics or math?

No such thing as a "Science GPA" (unless you are doing TMDSAS.) Since your location says CO, I'll assume no TMDSAS.

You want to compute your BCPM GPA, where BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Your BCPM GPA includes all Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math courses that you took. I don't know why so many people don't get it.

So:

Computer Science = NOT BCPM
Psychology = NOT BCPM
Sociology = NOT BCPM
Nutrition = NOT BCPM
Math = YES BCPM

Rather than take my word for it, however, you should read the AMCAS instructions. There is a very detailed section which tells you how to categorize courses (including what constitutes B,C,P,and M courses.)

Not included in any GPA, but you may need to explain the "W" on a secondary or (rarely) during an interview.

See above. However, to illustrate a point, assume you asked about Graduate Math classes instead of Graduate Computer Science courses. The answer is still no, because BCPM is only for undergraduate classes. Your graduate coursework will be included in your Graduate GPA only.

For AMCAS all courses are counted (i.e. averaged together) for AACOMAS, the A replaces the B (I believe -- I didn't apply to Osteopathic schools.)

No

Thanks so much for detailed info! I hear so much talk about science gpa, I wonder why people talk about that? Maybe they really mean BCPM. Anyway, thanks again!