Medical How to choose between SMP programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I need some input as I am seriously torn between these two programs I got into so I'm going to list our the pros and cons of each. Please let me know what you think and which program you would choose as someone who is mainly concerned with improving their GPA and getting into MD school.

Georgetown Pros
Classes with M1's
Medical school courses are sent out to applied schools at the end of October
Recommendation letter from the program
Program says apply to MD schools while in the program
Has an option of having a large cohort (120) or a small cohort (25) (GUMC vs GTDT - I personally want GTDT for small cohort)
One of the oldest SMP's (heard it carries weight among Adcoms)
Good chance of getting in if you are in the top 15% of the class

Georgetown cons:
Expensive $$$$
Have heard it is extremely cutthroat and difficult w/ no support system from the professors
Not sure what you can do in the real world w/ a MS in physiology and biophysics (-_- lmk if i'm wrong)

JHU Pros
MS in Biotech (could go into industrial research)
Small class of 50 students
Committee letter (more weight than a single letter)
Hopkins the name carries a lot of weight

JHU Cons:
Newer program (I'm unsure the reputation it carries w/ Adcoms)
Expensive as well $$$$ (same as Gtown tho)
Not taking classes with M1's (would be hard to demonstrate you can handle the rigor of med school if you're not taking medical school courses...right..?)

Anyways, sorry for the terribly long post. This is what I've thought of so far and found. Please let me know what you think and which program you would personally choose! Thank you so much!
Only you can make this decision.

This is my 2 cents.

JHU. Same cost, small class, more support, less cut throat? (since it wasn't mentioned). There are some benefits to your GPA of not taking the med school classes. Your pro list for Georgetown isn't actually larger - 2-3 of those are the same/related or irrelevant (ie. classes with M1s and grades sent in Oct is 1. Being told to apply MD is irrelevant. Good chance if top 15% is relative and goes without saying in any program, and you'd require a letter from a program regardless and thus irrelevant with the exception of the mention of a committee letter as theyre aren't always provided, for instance).

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask Georgetown what usefulness there is with an MS in physiology and biophysics if you aren't going to be an MD/DO. They should have plenty of examples of successful alumni who didn't go to medical school but did do something with the MS. That answer alone should help you figure out if the value of the degree is worth it. Same thing for that MS in biotech at Hopkins. The degree means nothing if you don't really move towards medical school unless there are clear resources for career preparation outside medicine.

Since the Georgetown SMP was established, many schools (with medical schools or not) have developed postbac programs. Some are modeled after Georgetown while others are not. If you are not gung ho about going to Georgetown for medical school, I don't advise you to necessarily go do their SMP because you'll probably repeat those courses if you got into another medical school. (Thank you to the curriculum innovators at other schools.) Many other programs are focused on the rigorous science coursework itself, and may offer you a certificate (less expensive). So for anyone in admissions, they probably know which schools have strong preparation for medical school. They probably know which schools have modelled their postbac/SMP on others and their track records too. In the end, the institution gives many admissions experts the context needed to know how rigorous the science coursework was, how much mentoring and support a student had access to, and how likely the student was going to succeed in their curriculum. Those are the things that matter most that frame your success in such a program.

Thank you for your input! I think my main concern then is how reputable the programs are relative to each other to Adcom's, which I'm wondering if that has anything to do with age of the program, and the curriculum of taking med school courses vs just grad school courses?
They're all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.