How to choose between two PT schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school do you recommend?

• TSU

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • FGCU

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

futuredpt-prof

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

First of all, good luck to everyone applying this cycle!! For all of us re-applicants, this year is our year! In the spirit of the application season, I just wanted to throw out a question a lot of us may be struggling with: how do you choose between two DPT programs?

In my situation, I'm looking at TSU and FGCU. My family is from Tennessee, and I went to undergrad at UT, so, naturally, TSU seemed like a natural choice. However, I moved to South Florida last year to work on a Master's degree, and have since taken on FGCU onto my radar.

Both programs have great pass rates for the boards, and are relatively inexpensive. Because I had to pay for a Master's degree at an expensive school, cost means a lot more to me than prestige, hence my interest in just these two schools. Here's the catch: I can't apply to both. TSU admits only ED candidates, so if I choose to take the chance on FGCU, I won't be able to apply to TSU.

Here are my pros and cons list for each school and my GPAs as each school calculates them:

TSU
pros: sooner start date, closer to family, admissions director remarked I would be a perfect candidate for a GA position due to my experience, so tuition could be free

cons: located in a rough area of town, very few resources and facilities, potentially high cost of living

3.58 GPA (Average: 3.57)
322 GRE (Average: 306)

FGCU
pros: cheaper tuition, cheaper cost of living, state-of-the-art facilities, more resources and there's no need to bother anyone about recommendation letters

cons: farther away from home, later start date, no ED option

3.20 uGPA (Average: 3.66)
3.67 pGPA (Average: 3.57)
322 GRE (Average: 307)

What do you think, ya'll? Is anyone else in a similar bind? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a heads up from a Nashville resident of the past 3 years: Nashville is getting extremely expensive and commutes are getting significantly longer. My rent in town (2B,1b that I share) has risen from 1600/month total to 2000/month total in the past 3 years staying pretty close in to town. Friends that live further out (east Nashville or Bellevue) have rent closer to 1000-1500/month but that has been steadily increasing as well and their commutes are upwards of 30-40 minutes depending on traffic.

I wouldn't really worry much about where TSU is located, safety-wise; they have a pretty nice campus nestled out behind a kind of sketchy part of town. I've never felt unsafe there and I pass through a few times a week.

I would prioritize resources and facilities, because those are things that I know are helpful learning tools for me. The relative lacking in this department was one of the reasons I didn't apply to TSU. BUT, I shadowed two PTs who were recent (within 1-2 years) TSU grads and they were both super confident and competent, so it totally depends on your personal learning style and how you apply yourself within your program.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting about TSU's lacking in resources and facilities... What makes y'all come to that conclusion? I'm looking at TSU also