How to choose where to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ScarlettMDtoBe

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...I think I definitely applied to too many programs. My invitations to interview are quickly adding up (which is definitely a good thing), but I don't know if it's more to do with my candidate qualifications or just because I applied to so many. Here is a sampling of my interview invites so far:

University of Rochester
University of Iowa
University of New Mexico
Thomas Jefferson duPont
University of Nevada in Las Vegas
Albert Einstein Jacobi

How would you guys rank these? Any thoughts on their reputations, etc.?

Thanks so much!
 
So...I think I definitely applied to too many programs. My invitations to interview are quickly adding up (which is definitely a good thing), but I don't know if it's more to do with my candidate qualifications or just because I applied to so many. Here is a sampling of my interview invites so far:

University of Rochester
University of Iowa
University of New Mexico
Thomas Jefferson duPont
University of Nevada in Las Vegas
Albert Einstein Jacobi

How would you guys rank these? Any thoughts on their reputations, etc.?

Thanks so much!

You have an interesting mix of programs (in terms of geography and setting). And to how many total programs did you apply?

I won't rank them (by reputation or otherwise), but do suggest that you talk with your faculty advisor or someone at your school who is knowledgeable about peds residencies and who has seen your transcript, board scores, etc. Your advisor should be able to help you put your list into perspective and give you some indication as to the number of places at which you should interview- that answer will vary dramatically depending on the strength of your record and your own aspirations and preferences.
 
I think I have the same problem, I applied to WAY too many places - I have 10 invitations, and I still haven't heard from a dozen places! I know I won't be able to go on more than 10-15 interviews because of cost and time. I'm definitely going to go to my top 5 places, but beyond that it's hard to compare them - I didn't apply to programs I thought I wouldn't like. So I'm using the pediatric board pass rates: https://www.abp.org/ABPWebStatic/#murl%3D%2FABPWebStatic%2FresidentFellowTraining.html%26surl%3D%2Fabpwebsite%2Fresident%2Fpassrates.htm Of course with a grain of salt, realizing that some programs are smaller than others and could get skewed numbers. I would love to hear other ways to compare programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have an interesting mix of programs (in terms of geography and setting). And to how many total programs did you apply?

I won't rank them (by reputation or otherwise), but do suggest that you talk with your faculty advisor or someone at your school who is knowledgeable about peds residencies and who has seen your transcript, board scores, etc. Your advisor should be able to help you put your list into perspective and give you some indication as to the number of places at which you should interview- that answer will vary dramatically depending on the strength of your record and your own aspirations and preferences.

Thank you for your input. However, since I am seriously considering my own school, I feel very strange asking them their opinions on other programs. I don't want them to think that I am not interested in staying.
 
Thank you for your input. However, since I am seriously considering my own school, I feel very strange asking them their opinions on other programs. I don't want them to think that I am not interested in staying.

Most residency programs want their own students to at least look at other programs, even if the "home program" wants that student to stay. "Looking around" gives you a basis for comparison and will hopefully reaffirm your interest in staying at your school's program. I don't see anything wrong in talking with a trusted faculty member and telling him/her that you are interested in staying but feel that you should at least interview at some other places, and then asking the faculty member's opinion about your list, credentials, etc. A faculty member whom you asked for a letter of recommendation might be a good place to start.
 
Also applied to too many (14, heard from all but 2). There are only two that I would be somewhat comfortable canceling at this time, but they're close to home so no big deal time/$-wise. All the other programs look amazing and I'm really afraid to cancel the perfect one!

So my question is: cost notwithstanding, how much is too much? I have some of my top programs in the end and I don't want to burn out by the time I get to them. I have two free months - would 6 interviews a month be pushing it? Thanks for the input!
 
Also applied to too many (14, heard from all but 2). There are only two that I would be somewhat comfortable canceling at this time, but they're close to home so no big deal time/$-wise. All the other programs look amazing and I'm really afraid to cancel the perfect one!

So my question is: cost notwithstanding, how much is too much? I have some of my top programs in the end and I don't want to burn out by the time I get to them. I have two free months - would 6 interviews a month be pushing it? Thanks for the input!

Contacting 14 programs initially isn't out of line, particularly for students who are doing the couples match. The AAMC and NRMP published data that the average number of programs that a Peds applicant ranks is 8, with a range of 1 to greater than 14, and the distribution looked symmetric. They didn't say how many programs were contacted initially or how many interviews an applicant did. How many programs you should look at depends on the programs (how competitive they are), the strength of your application, costs, time available, etc. It is important to look at enough programs so that you have an idea of what the best fit for you might be in terms of program size and style, size of city, geography (climate and proximity to things that are important to you). You identified an important issue, and that is the importance of maintaining your enthusiasm for those last several interviews that you do. It is amazing how many students find their ideal program near the end of their interview trek, sometimes programs that they really hadn't seriously considered beforehand.
 
Last edited: