How to classify volunteer coaching on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charactercomic2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking on old subs and forums, but I couldn't find anything substantial. I know there are however a lot of applicants who have volunteer coaching, whether with youth or high schoolers; what would this be classified under? I've seen some mention it as community service, and others as teaching. In my situation, its volunteer coaching at local high school, but I will be a TA next semester so I don't want to sort of double down on teaching (sorry if this is coming off as naïve). Thank you for any response!

Members don't see this ad.

I put mine as community service. For me, coaching is service with a teaching aspect, being a TA is teaching with a service aspect, that's how i distinguished them

Reactions: 1 user
I agree . I think it is nonclinical volunteering and if it’s with unserved/underserved kids you should get bonus points.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking on old subs and forums, but I couldn't find anything substantial. I know there are however a lot of applicants who have volunteer coaching, whether with youth or high schoolers; what would this be classified under? I've seen some mention it as community service, and others as teaching. In my situation, its volunteer coaching at local high school, but I will be a TA next semester so I don't want to sort of double down on teaching (sorry if this is coming off as naïve). Thank you for any response!
Calling it Volunteer/Community Service-Not Medical/Clinical works just fine. Balancing your application among the variety of available tags is desirable.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your input! It was nice getting some concrete answers from people with prior experience