How to convey interest to a Program Director?

Started by NYC-girl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NYC-girl

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have absolutely found my first choice program, but I am trying to find a way to communicate with the program director without a. being a stalker b. begging them to rank me in a matchable position on the list. 😍
I have written thank you notes to the coordinator, all the people that interviewed me and people who I met with while I was there.
Any advice?
 
I have absolutely found my first choice program, but I am trying to find a way to communicate with the program director without a. being a stalker b. begging them to rank me in a matchable position on the list. 😍
I have written thank you notes to the coordinator, all the people that interviewed me and people who I met with while I was there.
Any advice?

I don't think you have to beg or plead at all, nor stalk the PD with multiple inquiries.

I am planning on writing a letter to the my #1 simply stating that: I will rank them #1 because xyz... reasons. Since my first choice is on the other side of the country, I think its important in my case to indicate that I am very serious about attending, and that I have some social support (friends) in the area. In my humble opinion there's really not much else to say, and since you're certain its your #1 a second look isn't needed.

Good luck and I hope you match somewhere you're happy with.
 
If your close or have connections, its fine and appropriate to tell them personally that you like them. Letters can be difficult to word so that you feel comfortable sending them out (like you said, appropriate but not stalker haha).

I had a friend call his top choice and speak to the program director directly. It was very casual and I think he began by asking a few questions that he didn't have answers for. At the end he said that he really enjoyed his visit and that he thought they would be his 1st choice. The PD replied "well, I guess we'll see you in July". Made him feel pretty good.