how to deliver protein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

what are the available or future ways to deliver a protein into the blood stream? apart from intravenous way

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SQ, intranasal, transdermal, IM.

Eat some protein.

How's the body building coming along?

Members don't see this ad :)
any examples of actual enzymes delivered?

This had the potential to be a great "thats what she said," moment

Protein will be broken down to aa by the time it reaches the blood stream if taken orally.

Could you put an enteric coating on it to survive the gut? Obviously the EC wont' dissolve in the gastric juices on an empty stomach so it should survive the gut. Unsure as to how the coating might interact with the protein (if at all) or the absorption of protein through the intestinal lining (too big, will it dissolve), bioavailability with first pass effect?

For transdermal can you get the protein to cross the skin layer utilizing simply peel and stick method or would you have to incorporate something like iontophoresis (assuming you have a charged protein) or electroporation to to help open up the skin to aid penetration?

Last edited:
Could you put an enteric coating on it to survive the gut? Obviously the EC wont' dissolve in the gastric juices on an empty stomach so it should survive the gut. Unsure as to how the coating might interact with the protein (if at all) or the absorption of protein through the intestinal lining (too big, will it dissolve), bioavailability with first pass effect?

For transdermal can you get the protein to cross the skin layer utilizing simply peel and stick method or would you have to incorporate something like iontophoresis (assuming you have a charged protein) or electroporation to to help open up the skin to aid penetration?

It appears you edited as I clicked the reply button...you answered my smart-alecky Socratic questions before I could even ask them. Nice work.

It appears you edited as I clicked the reply button...you answered my smart-alecky Socratic questions before I could even ask them. Nice work.

Sorry, I accidentally posted my first response so I figured I'd edit it for how I originally intended the message to read. Sorry to ruin your fun.

Home work alert !

if you are a pharmacist and you distinguish 'home work' and 'knowledge' you shouldn't be called a scientist...

if you are a pharmacist and you distinguish 'home work' and 'knowledge' you shouldn't be called a scientist...

Wha? Engrish please..

Well, students should do homework on their own. Scientists do their own research. And a preceptor should never just give away the answer... especially something as easy as "what drug is a protein molecule and how is it delivered?"

Do your own research fool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and that's how your body uses protein.

mmm... I will say that's how our body processes orally ingested extrinsic protein.. now intrinsic proteins and directly administered therapeutic protiens (and there are lots of them) have multitudes of biochemical responsibilities in gazillion different pathways, which I think is one of the major the keys in solving many different diseases and ailments.

Heh...I said all that without giving out the answer to the homework!

:smuggrin:

liposomes/nanoparticles... i don't think you would enterically coat a protein without denaturing it (aren't most enteric coating agents fatty acids/waxes?)

Wha? Engrish please..

Well, students should do homework on their own. Scientists do their own research. And a preceptor should never just give away the answer... especially something as easy as "what drug is a protein molecule and how is it delivered?"

Do your own research fool.

for thousands of years people discuss about scientific issues

you are the fool who cannot discuss because of ignorance, get lost now

Lolololololllllll. Yeah, get lost aggie.
:smuggrin:

:eek: whoa

:laugh: but alas, pink panther got in his weekly feather ruffling on time...whew, it was a close one...already thursday!

oh shucks... so sez someone who has no clue on protein drug delivery system.

but i betcha they werent discussing protein drug delivery thousands of years ago.

stfu idiot

Lmao!!! Classy. Thanks for the laugh. As if getting your panties all up in a wad from what Z says isn't funny enough.

Oh, and since you apparently have the IQ of a gerbil, my comment was directed at Z, not you. But thanks for trying out.

wowwwww

To answer your question (not really), your pharmaceutics book should have information related to this.

obviously i was trying to open a conversation beyond what regular pharma books mention...

obviously i was trying to open a conversation beyond what regular pharma books mention...

Isn't it amazing no one is willing to just hand you an answer?

We will gladly have a conversation about it but you'll have to give us more insight on what drugs you want to talk about. What does the regular pharmaceutics book say about protein drug delivery?

it's not amazing at all, it's quite expected, since it's about a specialized subject under research

it's not amazing at all, it's quite expected, since it's about a specialized subject under research

You're kidding. We can talk about protein drugs all day long. We just don't want to do your homework.

Every drug that's being researched today is specialized but it's not special.

Again, name us a protein drug you're interested in and we'll talk about it. Protein drugs are very common. And different methodologies of delivery aint nothing special at this time.

dont be stupid to mention homework and homework all the time, because all i can do is laugh since it's not true

i dont want to talk with you at all, dont participate in my threads

dont be stupid to mention homework and homework all the time, because all i can do is laugh since it's not true

that hurts my feelings.

stfu idiot

usr-I imagine you are probably getting pretty frustrated, but everyone around here is nice and informative. They just like to bust eachother's chops. Your posts seem like you are losing your temper, but you shouldn't take it personally.

that hurts my feelings.

:( i know the feeling....

I'm sure that Dax is waiting around somewhere for you to go to her and all, but in the meanwhile, I will get you a Diet Dr. P to drown your sorrows in. No sweat because they are only $1 at McD's....k?

:( i know the feeling....

I'm sure that Dax is waiting around somewhere for you to go to her and all, but in the meanwhile, I will get you a Diet Dr. P to drown your sorrows in. No sweat because they are only $1 at McD's....k?

throw in a McRib and we are taliking some tasty oral protein delivery.

throw in a McRib and we are taliking some tasty oral protein delivery.

yeah, but are you sure youre worth the 5.99? I'm still not over them discontinuing my big&tasty so I hesitate to give any more $ than I have to.

Robert Deniro on SNL...hilarious.

Me worth a McRib? Probably not.

liposomes/nanoparticles... i don't think you would enterically coat a protein without denaturing it (aren't most enteric coating agents fatty acids/waxes?)

Yes most EC agents are fatty acids/waxes....hence why they do not dissolve in the gastric juices and why you should take them without food (food increases the pH in the stomach therefore, more would dissolve with a pH of 3 vs. 2).

Liposomes would basically provide the same idea as an EC would it not? With a liposome you have the phospholipid bilayer, so wouldn't you get the same interactions with the protein and worry about hydrophobic interactions destroying protein functionality?

Nanoparticles, now there is a good buzz word....but what kind of nanoparticle?

Sorry if I am coming across as a jackass, I am studying for a lab final.

Yes most EC agents are fatty acids/waxes....hence why they do not dissolve in the gastric juices and why you should take them without food (food increases the pH in the stomach therefore, more would dissolve with a pH of 3 vs. 2).

Liposomes would basically provide the same idea as an EC would it not? With a liposome you have the phospholipid bilayer, so wouldn't you get the same interactions with the protein and worry about hydrophobic interactions destroying protein functionality?

Nanoparticles, now there is a good buzz word....but what kind of nanoparticle?

Sorry if I am coming across as a jackass, I am studying for a lab final.

a liposome is merely a membrane and to my knowledge it does not contain free lipids/fatty acids that could denature protein (protein has been delivered this way). now that i think about it if the protein is crystallized in a matrix (much like solid dosage forms) it would probably not denature the protein initially but it might once the drug is released in the small intestine with such a high local concentration of fatty acids/waxes.

as far as nanoparticles go, look into hydrophobically functionalized silica-protein conjugates (also gold nanoparticles)... ever heard of the TAT peptide? it's a 9-10 AA fragment from an HIV peptide that has the ability to cross ANY membrane (yes, even BBB)... it essentially is very arg rich and these residues form bidentate ligands with the negatively charged surface of the cell and creates a hydrophobic region, allowing penetration into the cell. this has a lot of promise but unfortunately the peptide lacks cellular specificity. anyways this can be conjugated to liposomes and nano particles as a way to deliver protein/DNA/siRNA/any cargo to cells.