How to do the FAFSA for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, basically I tuned out the financial aid stuff at my interview days because I was overwhelmed with everyone else. I/my parents are going to file the FAFSA and I just need some very basic questions answered. I tried searching on here but I couldn't find anything recent.

-I got have acceptances for next year but don't have a decision yet. Can I put both schools on the FAFSA? And do I need to know anything about the schools or is that already in the system (cost of attendance maybe?)?
-What happens if I get another acceptance, can I add it later? (Still on hold at my dream school!)
-Do I need to put my parents' info on there?
-Do they usually send financial aid information before May 15? That would help with my decision obviously.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You can put up to 10 schools on your FAFSA. All of my schools had their FAFSA code listed somewhere on the website. Just google "[School Names] FAFSA code" and you should find it. You don't have to be accepted to the school to list it, in fact you should list all the schools you would consider going to if you were accepted (hopefully it's 10 or less!). All you need to know is that school code.

2. As I said above, you can put on schools that you haven't been accepted to yet.

3. YES. Even if you are married and have kids of your own, your parents' info must still go on there to be fully considered for financial aid.

4. I believe so. For maximum consideration, many schools are saying to have your FAFSA completed ~March 1.

#3 You don't need parental info for federal loans. You do need parental info for school loans/scholarships.

#1 Also, you can look up school id numbers on the FAFSA form itself.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, but you should double check with the school website. Some schools (like Cincinnati) want you to select 2 school numbers (both University of Cincinnati and the UC Med School)

#3 You don't need parental info for federal loans. You do need parental info for school loans/scholarships.

I thought you're considered an independent student when you get your BA/BS or hit 25.

I thought you're considered an independent student when you get your BA/BS or hit 25.

You're considered independent, but they still want parental information. Every school I interviewed at said we would not be considered for scholarships without parental information. The "reasoning" I got from one school is that even if you have been financially independent for a while, if you come from a family of means and happen to get into trouble, your family is better able to help you out financially than if you came from a poorer family. It's just one of the factors that goes into deciding need-based aid from the school.

Yes, but... schools aren't parting with their own need based scholarship funds without info about dear old mom and dad. It looks bad to give need-based scholarship money to a seemingly worthy applicant (who knows how to play the system) only to discover that while the student doesn't have a personal fortune he is the offspring of a billionaire.

Yes, but... schools aren't parting with their own need based scholarship funds without info about dear old mom and dad. It looks bad to give need-based scholarship money to a seemingly worthy applicant (who knows how to play the system) only to discover that while the student doesn't have a personal fortune he is the offspring of a billionaire.

Can they still game the system by having the parents write letters saying they will not contribute in anyway? If such letter is impossible then the schools can possibly deny the scholarship to an estranged billionaire's offspring right?

that's a federal determination used to set loan limits. schools are free to set their own requirements for institutional funds.

Can they still game the system by having the parents write letters saying they will not contribute in anyway? If such letter is impossible then the schools can possibly deny the scholarship to an estranged billionaire's offspring right?

Anyone remember Love Story ? Harvard student with rich daddy marries baker's daughter from Radcliffe, Daddy cuts him off and his beautiful and talented wife teaches music to prep school brats and delivers brown bag lunches to husband while he struggles through Harvard Law. That's what happens if your billionaire daddy refuses to contribute.

The fund raising arm of the school can't beg for need based scholarship money if the word gets out that the scholarships are going to Mr. Billionaire's kid.

So even though I've been submitting my FAFSA without parental income for several years I should include it now again? Can I submit that to the schools independently of the FAFSA?

I only worry because my ability to get loans/grants is my first priority. Scholarships and school stuff is second. My parents' income is ~$150,000, which when I used to report it made my EFC too high to qualify for federal grants in undergrad. But I will be getting $0 from my parents for med school. They have 3 other children enrolled full-time in universities, and I'm the oldest and am married, have kids, have had a well-paying PT job through college, etc.

I'm going to be super pissed if I end up getting screwed on my fed loan/grant eligibility because of listing my parents' income. Especially if I don't even get a scholarship or school-level need-based grant.

So even though I've been submitting my FAFSA without parental income for several years I should include it now again? Can I submit that to the schools independently of the FAFSA?

I only worry because my ability to get loans/grants is my first priority. Scholarships and school stuff is second. My parents' income is ~$150,000, which when I used to report it made my EFC too high to qualify for federal grants in undergrad. But I will be getting $0 from my parents for med school. They have 3 other children enrolled full-time in universities, and I'm the oldest and am married, have kids, have had a well-paying PT job through college, etc.

I'm going to be super pissed if I end up getting screwed on my fed loan/grant eligibility because of listing my parents' income. Especially if I don't even get a scholarship or school-level need-based grant.
Including your parental information won't change your federal aid eligibility in the slightest. That information is only used by schools and is oftentimes required by the school for consideration in their institutional financial aid (unfortunately)

My parents are divorced. The FAFSA asks me to choose one and enter their info. Would school require information on the other parent as well? If so, on the FAFSA or another supplemental form?

Including your parental information won't change your federal aid eligibility in the slightest. That information is only used by schools and is oftentimes required by the school for consideration in their institutional financial aid (unfortunately)

this. including parental info can only help. the feds don't give grants for med school anyway.

My parents are divorced. The FAFSA asks me to choose one and enter their info. Would school require information on the other parent as well? If so, on the FAFSA or another supplemental form?

I might be wrong on this, but I believe you still enter both parents on FAFSA. There's a drop down list where you select your parents' relation to each other (married, divorced, etc)