How to evaluate a residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaddyAcids

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an IMG is applying for a residency program, how to know the good programs in some specialty? I mean what are the criteria of good programs?

Members don't see this ad.

but i can see residents salaries are the same in all specialties

but i can see residents salaries are the same in all specialties

He isn't talking about resident salaries in regards to evaluating residencies but rather research dollars that go to the institution (ie, NIH grants) and how they relate to prestige. It really doesn't affect you as a resident (you don't get any of that money).

In evaluating a program, you look for (in no particular order):

word of mouth (hard for IMGs, unless you have some contacts in the states)
fellowship placements (if interested)
web sites like this
feeling you get when you interview

Unfortunately, there are no good rankings of programs for every specialty. Those US News rankings and "100 best hospital" things have almost no effect on you as a resident and the training you will get. They are marketing tools for the lay public.

and does the hospital where i had my residency matter when i look for a job thereafter??

Is it easier to find a job after the residency if i was training in a university hospital rather than a community one? Not an academic employment..

and does the hospital where i had my residency matter when i look for a job thereafter??

Eh...maybe in terms of connections if you wanted to stay locally or if you were interested in a high powered academic job, the name of your program might make a difference. But for the most part, it doesn't play a significant part.

Is it easier to find a job after the residency if i was training in a university hospital rather than a community one? Not an academic employment..

If you aren't looking for an academic job then no, it doesn't make a difference. As a matter of fact, if you are looking for a job in the community you will likely have had more contact with community practitioners at a non-academic program, so it might serve you better.

But again, it really doesn't make a difference.

I hear most people prefer training in university hospitals,, is it just because of the academic career?

How much :
1) money
2) sleep
3) food
Do I get.

I am kind of kidding about this. but only kind of