how to evaluate residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellysmith

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a site somewhere (or book even) that gives the "insider's guide" to various residency sites? i'm looking at peds/family medicine/med-peds and i've got my list of 20 options for each residency and i'd love to get a sense of what it's really like (are residents happy -- do they like the hospital -- what's the teaching like). obviously i'll get a sense when i apply/interview but i'd like to go to some sites for audition rotations and would like to choose wisely. any suggestions of good sites?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

scutwork is a great place to start, but you will find it hard to get a lot of helpful, current info in general. having completed the interview season, i was surprised at how informative interviews and visits proved to be. my recommendation would be to schedule more interviews than you necessarily want to go on, and as you go through the process you will learn how to better differentiate programs and learn what is truly important to you, whether that's the softer "how do i feel" or some other aspect of program offerings.

After having a big name PD admit to me that interview days are "dog and pony shows" that don't give an accurate feel of a program, I'd take the "informative" feel with a grain of salt.

just my $.02

locitamd said:
After having a big name PD admit to me that interview days are "dog and pony shows" that don't give an accurate feel of a program, I'd take the "informative" feel with a grain of salt.

just my $.02

If an applicant goes into the interview day unprepared and naive, then yes, it will be a low yield experience. Of course the faculty and others will put their best foot forward on an interview day - so will you, but an intelligent interviewer can get something from a relatively brief discussion with an applicant. That said, people have personalities and these do show through, even when people do the dog and pony show routine. Pay attention and ask thoughtful questions, and you will learn something about most of the people you come across.

Even more helpful are the residents. Most are pretty open and honest, especially if you talk with them out of ear shot of faculty. In addition, most are less adept at the dog and pony show act. The dinners/lunches are helpful, too, if you pay attention and are engaged.

On the tours, watch how people talk with one another and treat each other - that goes for everyone, not just residents/attendings.

There's more, but part of this process involves figuring out for yourself what matters and using your head.

Great post, koko
If you pay attention, you can see through a lot of the fluff.

I personally rate a program by the quality of beverages served. :laugh:

I also thought it was a pretty good post, Koko.

locitamd said:
I actually found it rather insulting.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Is this just yet another case of me not being able to detect written sarcasm?

Fear not, earmuffs, no sarcasm intended.

penguins said:
I personally rate a program by the quality of beverages served. :laugh:

:thumbup:

That's right up there with the quality of the gifts given: pens don't impress, but free t-shirts are a plus.

Actually, it was interesting to see one of the applicants at a dinner have one too many drinks. Hard to understand, but entertaining nonetheless. :)

locitamd said:
I actually found it rather insulting.

Not sure how anyone could feel insulted by my post, but for the record that was not my intention.

Koko said:
:thumbup:

That's right up there with the quality of the gifts given: pens don't impress, but free t-shirts are a plus.

Actually, it was interesting to see one of the applicants at a dinner have one too many drinks. Hard to understand, but entertaining nonetheless. :)

I got a penlight that I like and a miniature frisbe (sp?)... :p

No, really, like the drinks they serve the interview day. I was kinda kidding but I have to admit, I thought it was lacking when we weren't given drinks during the day. It is akin to us sending thank you notes. They don't really change a ranking but it is common courtesy. After 5+ interviews, don't we deserve some pop or water?!?

At one dinner, the applicant drank 6 different types of beverages. None were alchoholic but my word!!!! I still can't believe it. I was so embarassed for him!

penguins said:
I got a penlight that I like and a miniature frisbe (sp?)... :p

No, really, like the drinks they serve the interview day. I was kinda kidding but I have to admit, I thought it was lacking when we weren't given drinks during the day. It is akin to us sending thank you notes. They don't really change a ranking but it is common courtesy. After 5+ interviews, don't we deserve some pop or water?!?

At one dinner, the applicant drank 6 different types of beverages. None were alchoholic but my word!!!! I still can't believe it. I was so embarassed for him!

Penlight, not exciting, but very useful for most of us. Frisbee? Now that's thinking outside the box. Some fun for those late nights inbetween admissions I guess.

No drinks during the day?!? That's bad. There was a tremendous range in the quality of lunches, from cold cuts to a gourmet buffet at a private club, but I always had something to drink. And 6 different beverages? That sounds like a recipe for some acute GI issues.

Oh, and I take it you're a mid-westerner based on the "pop" comment ;)

Oh, and I take it you're a mid-westerner based on the "pop" comment ;)

Transplanted texan. I get made fun of wherever I go. :(

He ordered hot tea, coffee, pinapple juice, water, virgin dacqueri (sp?), virgin pina colado, and another kind of juice.
It was sooooo hard not to laugh when he ordered the coffee with desert.

penguins said:

He ordered hot tea, coffee, pinapple juice, water, virgin dacqueri (sp?), virgin pina colado, and another kind of juice.

Hey, wasn't poking fun, just noting the regional lingo. Spent some time in the mid-west and still like hearing pop for soda/coke.

Reading that drink combo makes me nauseous. Forget the coffee and dessert, I would have lost it hearing a guy order a virgin dacqueri :laugh:

:laugh:
penguins said:

haha, i guess he finally figured out that everything is free so he might as well take advantage of it!

He probably had to run to the restroom alot tho..

locitamd said:

just my $.02

Many of these PDs are professional "salesmen." They know what sells and what to promise. You end up walking out of the dealership with a Kia you will pay a Mercedes price for.

Be very very circumspect in what the program directors tell you during the dog and pony show. Be alert. Dogs bark, they have teeth, and they have been known to bite. Ponies can kick and bite too, if you're not careful to watch where the hooves and teeth are.

If you are depending on a representation by a program director, the ask for it in writing. If the program director balks, be even more suspicious. Program directors bark, have teeth and have been known to bite. Caution is the watchword.

If you can't get it in writing and you really want that program, send a confirming letter asking for a timely correction of any misperception in writing by return mail within a reasonable amount of time BEFORE the ROL deadline.

Once you've matched, they hold ALL the cards and there's little you can do about a malignant program, once you match and the "new and improved" contract is passed out for you to sign.

Programs are required to tell you that they are on probation, but they are not required to volunteer that the RRC citations are. Ask for them, and their plans for remediating the citations. Ask them for old citations too, so you can get a history of the program.

Ask them how many residents have not completed the program and why those residents did not. Ask other residents about this too, individually and in private. Call people from your med school that went to a program who have completed training at the program and ask them what they thought of it. Alumni are much more free to discuss things than those still in the program.

Evil programs will lie. They can and will make life miserable for residents who communicate truth that the program does not want applicants to know.

Accept this. Get it all in writing in advance, signed and dated. Be suspicious of programs that are not forthcoming. If residents have not completed the program, ask for their contact information so you can validate a program directors story.

One example: Applicant interviewed at a program and asked a specific question: How many residents do not complete the program? Answer: All residents complete our program. Q:Have any residents been terminated from the program? A: No. Facts: The program had terminated 3 residents in the four months prior to the interviewee's questions. The interviewee signed a contract into that program and was terminated after starting PGY3 year.

It's a scary world out there. Check your medical school. Some schools know about evil programs and will warn you about them, if they know.

Watch Scutwork, but carefully analyze postings. For every truthful post that does not say that a program is the creme de la creme, "residents" will post rebuttals. Watch for this pattern. If you see it, run, like the wind away from such a program. It is likely that there is some truth in all of the posts, but where there is a clear attempt to discredit a specific post raise your antennae, and be very, very careful. If it's black with white stripes down its back, has a big fluffy tail sticking straight up and say's its a kitty, but it sure looks like a polecat, it probably is. Do not pet it or you'll smell very bad when it's all said and done.

NOW, that having been said, I think there are many, many good programs out there with highly honorable people. But unfortunately, it only takes one or two bad actors to taint the whole industry. And the price for being naive can be exceedingly high, so it behooves you all to be careful.

Good luyck and good hunting.

Is there a website for prelim for Radiation Oncology?

Best wishes to all,
Seasons :)