How to figure out how competitive you are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEN2C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how can you know your competitiveness for residency? For example my step 1 score is really low - 210 - but I did well in my third year clerkships (High Honors in 4/6 clerkships, high pass in the other two). So I have a step score well below average, and I'm sure I'll be screened out at many places because of that. Which is fine, I'm not interested in the super top places anyway, but I'd like to go to a mid/low tier university program, which would allow me a decent chance at a fellowship (peds GI, ICU or peds oncology I'm thinking right now). I know it's an upshot but I have no idea where to begin in terms of narrowing my places and figuring out how competitive I am.

Is anyone else in the same boat - and how did you guys decide where to apply?

I don't have geographic restrictions (and I don't know my step 2 score yet - hoping to do better).

Members don't see this ad.

I had a lowish score (though not quite as low as yours), and I primarily narrowed by whether or not there was a children's hospital (stand-alone or otherwise) and geography. I aimed higher than I probably should've (several top programs, several mid-tier) and ended up getting a handful of top interviews and several mid-tier ones. If you have something else on your application that helps you stand out, that'll definitely help your application and make you more competitive, but I think if you're going into Peds, you'll find somewhere to match.

Talk to the faculty at your school to see where they recommend based on your application.

So how can you know your competitiveness for residency? For example my step 1 score is really low - 210 - but I did well in my third year clerkships (High Honors in 4/6 clerkships, high pass in the other two). So I have a step score well below average, and I'm sure I'll be screened out at many places because of that. Which is fine, I'm not interested in the super top places anyway, but I'd like to go to a mid/low tier university program, which would allow me a decent chance at a fellowship (peds GI, ICU or peds oncology I'm thinking right now). I know it's an upshot but I have no idea where to begin in terms of narrowing my places and figuring out how competitive I am.

Is anyone else in the same boat - and how did you guys decide where to apply?

I don't have geographic restrictions (and I don't know my step 2 score yet - hoping to do better).
You likely already have an account with AAMC, go to their Career research site. Under Pediatrics you can assess your competitiveness (they have a few tabs).

Members don't see this ad :)
OP I'm in a similar situation only my grades are worse lol. I just talked to my advisors today, and I'm kind of bummed at the program list they gave me. They are mostly in suboptimal locations.
But to answer your question, I'm planning on applying to 20ish places with the hopes of getting 10ish interviews. The way I selected programs was mostly by region and city. Then to decide how competitive a program is look at where their residents come from. Are there a lot of IMGs? Do a lot of their own med students (if they have them) stay? Also, if you're interested in fellowship, you'll want places that have the specialty you're looking for

Also, if you're interested in fellowship, you'll want places that have the specialty you're looking for

I just want to elaborate on this a bit. If you want to specialize, you should definitely go somewhere where you have exposure to that specialty. Most places will because we are required to do a certain number of core sub specialty rotations as a part of our training, including time in the ICUs.

There is some debate whether you should go somewhere that has a fellowship in the specialty you are interested in, though. Some say that this ensures there is a high enough volume to understand what that specialty faces. However, there are others who say the fact that you, as a resident, have to call an attending in the middle of the night instead of a fellow, means that you get better experience and more hands-on care.

Also, FWIW, one of my friends is now at a top Peds program with a step 1 score of 210.

On this topic, how do you know which programs are "top" vs. "mid" tier programs? This might be very obvious to everyone else but it does not seem so clear to me?

OP I'm in a similar situation only my grades are worse lol. I just talked to my advisors today, and I'm kind of bummed at the program list they gave me. They are mostly in suboptimal locations.
But to answer your question, I'm planning on applying to 20ish places with the hopes of getting 10ish interviews. The way I selected programs was mostly by region and city. Then to decide how competitive a program is look at where their residents come from. Are there a lot of IMGs? Do a lot of their own med students (if they have them) stay? Also, if you're interested in fellowship, you'll want places that have the specialty you're looking for

D you mind pming me the list of those programs? I can send you mine and we can compare notes.

On this topic, how do you know which programs are "top" vs. "mid" tier programs? This might be very obvious to everyone else but it does not seem so clear to me?

You ask around. Generally, the Children's hospitals that are named in the top 10 or whatever are top programs to train in.

There is some debate whether you should go somewhere that has a fellowship in the specialty you are interested in, though. Some say that this ensures there is a high enough volume to understand what that specialty faces. However, there are others who say the fact that you, as a resident, have to call an attending in the middle of the night instead of a fellow, means that you get better experience and more hands-on care
Good point. I was told something like 80% of residents who go on to fellowship stay at their home institution. And that it was better to have the option to stay rather than having to leave. However I do see the argument for getting more experience.
And yay for hope! Im planning on applying to some mega reach programs just cuz you never know

So my step 2 score is 235 (which I think was the average for entering peds residents last year). I was actually hoping to hit 240 but I can't complain about a 25 point improvement. I'm hoping my good clinical grades with an average step 2 makes up a little for the bad step 1. Hoping for a decent uni program that allows me to do a moderately competitive fellowship if I choose!

congrats.

where did you hear the avg step 2 score was 235?

It's on the AAMC website (careers in medicine). It has the stats of first year residents by specialty.

Last I checked the average (or maybe the median) for entering 1st year pediatric residents was about 222 for step 1 and mid 230s for step 2.

So my step 2 score is 235 (which I think was the average for entering peds residents last year). I was actually hoping to hit 240 but I can't complain about a 25 point improvement. I'm hoping my good clinical grades with an average step 2 makes up a little for the bad step 1. Hoping for a decent uni program that allows me to do a moderately competitive fellowship if I choose!
Did you use UW or USMLERx and what sort of %s did you have to get the 235?

Gauging where you are competitive is difficult. I actually wasn't THAT much different than you in terms of profile, so I sent out a ton of applications just because I didn't want to shortchange myself. Ultimately I recommend doing the same, because there's no way to know besides trying. Some of the programs on FREIDA do have a minimum score listed (i.e. some are 220, some 210, others 180).