How to Find PICU Jobs - Looking for California! Need Some Tips, Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My SO is currently a 3rd year PICU fellow on east coast. Planning to move to California after graduating July 2022.

So starting to look for jobs next few weeks/months.

I'm a physician, but not in Peds/PICU, so I don't know much about where to help look for jobs, job market.

1. How is the job market for PICU? I heard its pretty bleak, true?

2. I presume California is a saturated market, like everything else?

3. Any suggestions of where to look for PICU jobs?

Right now, the one source we have is: PEDSCCM.or
Any other sources? I heard also to look in Pediatrics Journal job listings..

4. Worst case scenario, if can't find a PICU job, what should my SO do? 1 year of Peds hospitalist, and reapply?
My SO really wants to do PICU, and not Peds Hospitalist/UC/ER jobs/locums, so I'm really hoping we find a PICU job in Cali.
But is there a realistic chance SO won't find a job in 2022?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes, they are more challenging. In academics you need a niche typically, or just a bit of luck and timing. But I know our division head frequently gets emails of CV asking for a position that doesn't exist. But then someone moves or burns out and a spot opens up. It's kinda random. Private practices are another avenue.

2. I would never suggest hanging ones hat on a geographic locations. You take what you can.

3. The attendings in the group could ask around. That kind of word of mouth and having someone put in a call on ones behalf goes a long way. The AAP has jobs listings. Pediatrix has a website with private practice listings. There's always locums too.

4. I mean, they would be overqualified for hospitalist gig. But it is an option. I know one of the 3rd years in our current fellowship is dead set on moving to a specific location and has essentially decided that a hospitalist gig is the only way to get there. Doing a CVICU year does increase marketability given that there are more CVICU jobs typically than straight PICU jobs.