How to find research grant for residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJackRyan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently a resident and about to transition to the ABIM research pathway with a fellowship in allergy/immunology. That said, previous people in my program have only latched onto faculty members T32 grants for their research grants. I’m wanting to get started early on submitting my own research grants but my mentors have only mentioned K08 awards to me but then they specified that I can’t apply for these until the last year of my fellowship/research year since it is a bridge into being a faculty. Does anyone know of other research grants I could apply to earlier than this and how to find them? I’m specifically looking for grants that are for residents/fellows.

Members don't see this ad.

T32 are easy enough especially if one doesn't have any grant writing experience and has good support. There are also a bunch of specialty specific research grants from each specialty professional society for residents and fellows (and later early career investigator awards). You can go for a funding mechanism like the NIH F32 (postdoc/fellow level) - but those tend to be quite competitive and they bias towards folks who've been able to win at lower levels.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m currently a resident and about to transition to the ABIM research pathway with a fellowship in allergy/immunology. That said, previous people in my program have only latched onto faculty members T32 grants for their research grants. I’m wanting to get started early on submitting my own research grants but my mentors have only mentioned K08 awards to me but then they specified that I can’t apply for these until the last year of my fellowship/research year since it is a bridge into being a faculty. Does anyone know of other research grants I could apply to earlier than this and how to find them? I’m specifically looking for grants that are for residents/fellows.
F32 is a good one but it's a training grant similar to T32 (which is a division-wide training grant). Look at allergy/immunology societies and see if they also have research awards that you can apply for.

Reactions: 1 user

Many specialty or disease foundations have grant for residents or fellows.