how to get an attending to notice your existence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatersandtomsauce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing an IM core rotation and there's a new member of the faculty (specializes in an area I'm really interested in pursuing) who's like God. They're a FANTASTIC teacher, probably the best one we have but the only interaction I have with them is attending their lectures and rounds with the other med students. How can I go about putting myself in a position so that I can learn more from them outside of rounds/they can get to know me well enough to write me a recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently doing an IM core rotation and there's a new member of the faculty (specializes in an area I'm really interested in pursuing) who's like God. They're a FANTASTIC teacher, probably the best one we have but the only interaction I have with them is attending their lectures and rounds with the other med students. How can I go about putting myself in a position so that I can learn more from them outside of rounds/they can get to know me well enough to write me a recommendation?
Bring them taters and tomato sauce?

Or you could try something like asking them if they have any interesting patients you can report back on or even write up a case about. That way they can see you're keen to learn and if they do end up writing you a good LOR they'll also have evidence (i.e. case report) to put into the LOR. If it's really good, maybe you can even see if they'd be willing to help you publish it (as a co-author). Win win all around!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not try the truth? Tell them that you're interested in their specialty and was hoping they could give you some advice. Maybe later you could also ask if you could do an elective with them in your senior year.

Also, I agree with the above advice. Try not to stare or slobber. You might scare them away.

Set up a meeting or time to talk. Problem solved

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

1. Walk up to said attending;
2. Introduce yourself as per the cultural customs in your region;
3. Say, "I like you. Can I get to know you more?"

Reactions: 1 user
1. Walk up to said attending;
2. Introduce yourself as per the cultural customs in your region;
3. Say, "I like you. Can I get to know you more?"

If someone came up to me and said "I like you. Can I get to know you more?" I'd be a little freaked out. Especially if it was a cute girl

If someone came up to me and said "I like you. Can I get to know you more?" I'd be a little freaked out. Especially if it was a cute girl
Admittedly, it sounds like a pick up line more so than a formal meeting request. Might as well ask to get drinks.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Afraid of cooties bruh?