How to get back on the track to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JessS0106

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !

I graduated with my BA in Biology 4 years ago, and on my way into taking my DAT's to go into dental school. However, at that moment I was a 21 year old selfish, broke, in debt, student graduate. I was not ready to give up my time, more money, relationship, and family. Most importantly I was afraid I wouldn't be where I wanted to be today.

I was very much happy with my decision. In these 4 years, I had the opportunity to design, grow, and run a multi-specialty dental office. I am a home owner, married, and about to have my first child.

Thinking about where I stand now, I feel more mature, financially ready, and mentally stable to go back to finish the dream I've had since I was 14 years old.

My problem is.. I have to take a Physics II class in order to get into dental school. What route do I take to obtain that one course? Do I have to redo my degree, or can I go to a community college to catch up on this one class?

My husband and I discussed that by the time I would start dental school, the baby would be 1 and half. My mother and mother in law are more than willing to help me once school started. Everyone is very supportive because it is something they all knew I always wanted to be. I also want to teach my son that it's never too late to follow your dreams. (pssst, who am I kidding, I'm still young!)

Any advice or knowledge would help! Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

First I would make a list of schools to which you're planning to apply. Each school has different prerequisites and some don't accept prerequisites at all from community colleges or some may limit the number of hours they accept from community colleges. I would also check to ensure that the schools you apply to don't have an "expiration," per se, on prerequisites. Some want them done within the last five years. If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats (GPA, etc.) and have you done much volunteering and shadowing? I saw that you've worked in a dental office so I'm assuming you've done plenty of shadowing. Would moving be an option with your family and being a homeowner?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the course at an accredited 4-year institution if you don't want to limit which schools you'd be eligible to apply to (since some don't accept prereq credits from community colleges or online courses). Make sure you take the lab component as well since the majority of schools require that for physics

First I would make a list of schools to which you're planning to apply. Each school has different prerequisites and some don't accept prerequisites at all from community colleges or some may limit the number of hours they accept from community colleges. I would also check to ensure that the schools you apply to don't have an "expiration," per se, on prerequisites. Some want them done within the last five years. If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats (GPA, etc.) and have you done much volunteering and shadowing? I saw that you've worked in a dental office so I'm assuming you've done plenty of shadowing. Would moving be an option with your family and being a homeowner?

My GPA in college was 3.2. I was president of the TriBeta Honor Society. I've worked as a dental assistant from age 14-21, and then from 21-now been running the dental office. I work for a professor from a dental school. So the plan is to get into Rutgers Dental, but I am open to the idea of some surrounding schools. Even if we had to move its fine because our home is a two family, so we would rent out our space and use it entirely as an investment property.

Take the course at an accredited 4-year institution if you don't want to limit which schools you'd be eligible to apply to (since some don't accept prereq credits from community colleges or online courses). Make sure you take the lab component as well since the majority of schools require that for physics

Yes, thank you! I am going to call my graduating college to see the steps I would take to do that.

My GPA in college was 3.2. I was president of the TriBeta Honor Society. I've worked as a dental assistant from age 14-21, and then from 21-now been running the dental office. I work for a professor from a dental school. So the plan is to get into Rutgers Dental, but I am open to the idea of some surrounding schools. Even if we had to move its fine because our home is a two family, so we would rent out our space and use it entirely as an investment property.

Rutgers has a 22AA average and they do not favor in-state like other public schools. The 3.2 is very low for them. I would advise to take Physics II at a University and not online--if possible.

All your other credentials sound great! Do well on the DAT and you should be good. Best of luck and congrats on the baby!

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers has a 22AA average and they do not favor in-state like other public schools. The 3.2 is very low for them. I would advise to take Physics II at a University and not online--if possible.

All your other credentials sound great! Do well on the DAT and you should be good. Best of luck and congrats on the baby!

Calling my old university right now! Thank you for your recommendation. I really appreciate it!

The dental assisting and your work in a dental office will definitely help your application. They'll like the hands on experience. The only thing that might hurt you a bit is your GPA although I'm not familiar with Rutgers and their averages. Do you know your science GPA? At this point I would study hard for your DAT and aim to do really well - that could offset your GPA. You could also look into doing a masters program as well to "reset" your GPA since your graduate level GPA would be calculated separately from your undergraduate GPA.