maria1oh

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
Status
I filled out the online web applications for cvs, walmart, kroger, kmart, target, etc. about 1 month ago and still have not heard from them. I was wondering how long you waited to receive a phone call? I tried calling kmart to ask about my application and the pharmacist told me that Human Resources (HR) hires people and to talk to them. I talked to HR and she said they are so backed up with hiring that it won't be for another couple months. I also called Walmart to check about my application and the person said they do not forward calls to the HR department because so many people have called and asked. She told me to just wait for them to call me. Also I called a Target and she said they have not hired any one new in the pharmacy in over 1 year.

I do not have good pharmacy references or work experience but I am an accepted pharmD student starting this fall. I was also wondering if it would be a lot easier to apply as an intern and receive a phone call back than it is for a tech. It would be nice to be hired over the summer to work as a tech, because I will not receive my intern license until school starts and because the school is on the quarter system we do not start until the end of September.

Any stories or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
and why not hospital pharmacy? do you have a tech license?

Allure

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
It is definitely easier to get hired as an intern than as a tech or so it seems to me, but I though in Ohio, as soon as you're accepted, you can apply for as an intern? If you go to OSU, they have a list of places that would hire students. My friends never had any trouble getting jobs. Also, try Meijer's, Giant Eagle and Kroger if you haven't already.

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Make an appointment with every pharmacy in your area. Both Hospital and Retail. Sooner or later it will work out. Make an appointment with the DOP at the hospital. Walk into retail settings and ask for the manager. Be aggressive....

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Make an appointment with every pharmacy in your area. Both Hospital and Retail. Sooner or later it will work out. Make an appointment with the DOP at the hospital. Walk into retail settings and ask for the manager. Be aggressive....
Yup, this is true.

Remember the Yellow Pages? And do you remember actually using it?
I've told this before but I went through the Yellow Pages under the "Hospitals" section and went down the list and called the pharmacy department and asked to speak to the DOP.

I got the job when I reached "C."

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
But Z, my fingers is gonna get all dirty.

My approach was much better. I drove around and tossed out pages and pages of my resume out the window. Thank goodness we have so many recruiters.

You obviously didn't know about the "Yellow Pages Gloves."

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Are those the little finger condoms? They just look too creepy. But I'm sure they worked out just fine for you. Weirdo.

Loser.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
I just got my first hospital intern position yesterday... I began cold calling and handing on my CV at every function nearly 8 months ago.

Be aware that many companies still have hiring freezes - They want to higher interns, but there is little money for it. Remember an intern is often a less experienced, more expensive tech (that can also take phone Rx and consult). It is in their best interest to higher interns (who are more likely to stay on and require less training to get up to snuff). Keep pushing, keep calling, and you will get your break.

The wait was worth it for me. As a final-year intern, I am making 50% pharmacist's pay. It comes with the option of 75% pharmacist's pay as a grad intern should I need it and a position as a staff pharmacist should I desire to stay on.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I just got my first hospital intern position yesterday... I began cold calling and handing on my CV at every function nearly 8 months ago.

Be aware that many companies still have hiring freezes - They want to higher interns, but there is little money for it. Remember an intern is often a less experienced, more expensive tech (that can also take phone Rx and consult). It is in their best interest to higher interns (who are more likely to stay on and require less training to get up to snuff). Keep pushing, keep calling, and you will get your break.

The wait was worth it for me. As a final-year intern, I am making 50% pharmacist's pay. It comes with the option of 75% pharmacist's pay as a grad intern should I need it and a position as a staff pharmacist should I desire to stay on.

Good Job. Congrats.

pinkpillowzz

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
filling out applications online can only do so much. why don't u go to each place, visit the pharmacy and ask if they are hiring. in my opinion, thats the best thing to do to get your foot in the door. show yourself. talk. tell them who you are and what your looking for.

Vitamin K

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I've gotten all of my internships (4 in total) by finding out who manages the interns for the company. Find out who that district manager is and give them a call or shoot them an email. Being really personable doesn't hurt, but send them your resume and tell them exactly what you're looking for. Definitely don't be afraid to hound them! It's easy to forget you when you're one of several hundred interns looking for a job.

Jun 19, 2009
Home of the Tigers
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm having a hard time with this too...I talked to HR of several hospitals in my area and they all said they would not hire me with pharmacy experience..
(Background: In MI you have to go to school to be a technician, I obtained my PTCB certification in TX where you can just take the test).
And Retail stores are saying that too...I don't know what to do. I have biomedical research experience at Baylor (I worked as a research coordinator on a major NIH study), I'm a pre-pharm student with a VERY good GPA. I've also worked in retail clothing stores (the Largest for that company)
Any ideas/tips for me?

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
don't talk to the HR..talk to the Pharmacy director or supervisor

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Everytime I call the pharmacy I get forwarded to the voicemail...

do you leave a message?

do you call back?

do you call back daily?

do you ask to speak to supervisor instead of DOP if it goes to voice mail?

Maxpwer222

Hello
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Everytime I call the pharmacy I get forwarded to the voicemail...
Like Z said, you gotta keep trying. Just because you get a voicemail doesn't mean they are not listening to them. Keep leaving messages and they will call you back to atleast tell you to stop.

ValeRx

PharmD
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Midwest
Status
Pharmacist
In Ohio you cannot apply for your intern license until classes have actually started. Kentucky however allows you to get your license as soon as you have your acceptance letter.

Jun 19, 2009
Home of the Tigers
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah I finally got a live person...who directed me to the website and said that they had a hiring freeze. Everyone else is not hiring right now...including all the mom & pop pharmacies....UGH! This is so frustrating...

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
here is a fantastic idea for those who are looking for experience; volunteer!

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

BanBidil

10+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
don't talk to the HR..talk to the Pharmacy director or supervisor
Edit:
0. Wait til you get your intern license, you will get it the first few months in school. As for now, just find out who is in charge....

BINGO Z hit it right on the spot. You have to find out who is in Charge and see if you can catch the decision maker in person. It will take some calling and efforts but eventually you will get to that person. Keep persisting.
If you want a retail job:
Walk into the pharmacy you want to work at
Find out who is in charge from the Pharmacist, not the Tech......
Call that person.

Have you tried independents?

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I've given jobs to many pre-pharm volunteers once spots opened up..
So I wouldn't consider volunteering a waste of time while you search for a job. You can gain valuable experience that will probably enhance your chance of landing a job.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
When you have to work to pay for school...volunteering kind of defeats the purpose. As much as I would like to just volunteer and work minimum wage jobs, thats not the best use of my time.
been there. I worked 20 hours a week during my pre-pharm days and volunteered on top of 21 credit hours practically every semester (which barely accounted for lab time) My volunteering led to a job and a mentor that I still have. I suggest you getting involved with a research lab in the pharmacy dept. Maybe they can use some help, or a hospital to help run meds or something.

Either you make time for your career now or you pay for it later. I would take out some extra money if it meant getting my feet wet and building bridges that could help you beyond pharmacy school. It will help you get into pharmacy school. Sacrificing now will help you later, especially if for whatever reason it doesn't work out; you don't have to worry about "what if's"

I hate to tell you but tech salary in a retail pharmacy is ****. You won't make much more the minimum starting off. Sorry.

While we are on the topic, my hospital job was along the same lines. I was doing IPPEs at the site and when i was done they said they had a position if I was interested. Funny how things work.

I've given jobs to many pre-pharm volunteers once spots opened up..
So I wouldn't consider volunteering a waste of time while you search for a job. You can gain valuable experience that will probably enhance your chance of landing a job.
i agree whole heartedly, i feel the reason I managed to get into pharmacy school was because i volunteered and was offered a job and gained some valuable experience.

solzont

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Oregon
Status
Pharmacy Student
been there. I worked 20 hours a week during my pre-pharm days and volunteered on top of 21 credit hours practically every semester (which barely accounted for lab time) My volunteering led to a job and a mentor that I still have. I suggest you getting involved with a research lab in the pharmacy dept. Maybe they can use some help, or a hospital to help run meds or something.

Either you make time for your career now or you pay for it later. I would take out some extra money if it meant getting my feet wet and building bridges that could help you beyond pharmacy school. It will help you get into pharmacy school. Sacrificing now will help you later, especially if for whatever reason it doesn't work out; you don't have to worry about "what if's"

I hate to tell you but tech salary in a retail pharmacy is ****. You won't make much more the minimum starting off. Sorry.

While we are on the topic, my hospital job was along the same lines. I was doing IPPEs at the site and when i was done they said they had a position if I was interested. Funny how things work.

i agree whole heartedly, i feel the reason I managed to get into pharmacy school was because i volunteered and was offered a job and gained some valuable experience.
Quoted for truth, please take Quicksilver's words to heart, he's spot-on. I can't emphasize this enough, my experience closely mirrors his. This is how I got both job offers and earned the attention of the best mentors in a down economy full of hiring freezes and ignorant HR depts. Volunteer, most jobs are politics, politics are local, and local politics are personal. Get personal, get involved, network while volunteering. If you are an outstanding, smart, hard-working professional; you will get noticed. I was offered both of my jobs after volunteering at 2/4 places. ALL of my experience was built from a volunteer foundation. I was also dancing the school+work+family+community volunteer jig. It's painful, time will fly, the sacrifice may run you down a bit. But...visualize...that phone call...that letter...stating: "We are proud to offer you admittance into...." It's all worth it.

Last edited:
OP
M

maria1oh

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
Status
I did volunteer in a hospital last summer to help when I applied for PharmD. The pharmacists were always really busy and never really spent more than a minute talking to me. I spent most of the time walking around with the techs to the different nursing stations. It was only for 3 months and I did call and talk to one pharmacist about using her as a reference and she said she did not know me well enough. :(

sakigt

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Have you considered any healthcare job?

I work as a Medical Lab Asst and I know for sure that having direct patient, nurse, doctor, admin, etc experience was a plus for my application.

Vitamin K

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
When I was in pharmacy school, I applied for ANYTHING pharmacy-related. If it's that hard to find a job, you can't be picky! I even worked in an animal research lab for 2 years because it was run by the college of pharmacy. Got me accepted into the program. Think outside the box...