How to get into a full class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcclesm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or success stories on getting into full classes. It appears of the 2 lectures and 2 labs I need this summer they are all full. (I'm non degree, so I have to wait until 2 days before class starts to register). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

wait until the add/drop week when students will most likely drop the class when they figure it's too tough or inconvenient to do over the summer or email the professor directly to ask for an override. :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
if you are in the major that the class is offered in, ask the dept. secretary to put you in the class (nicely, & in person)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a closed class form and had whoever to sign it. I'm a Biochem major and did it once for some Biology class.

When my O-Chem class filled up, I e-mailed the course coordinator and let her know about my situation (how I needed the course for my major, and as a pre-req for other requirements, etc.) and also let her know that I would take ANY available time for lecture or lab. If you're flexible, they are sometimes more accommodating. Make sure to be friendly and not demanding. :thumbup:

email the prof, and no matter what they say show up to the first class (or two) and generally they will sign you in if they know you really want/need it.

Go to the professor IN PERSON. Show up to the first day of class if necessary. It is very easy to turn down a student via email. Go in person (either on the first day of class or before) and give the professor your sob story about why you really really need this class. Of course you'll annoy the professor, but he/she may likely give in. I know I do. The college at which I teach has a major problem with demand outpacing the number of available seats. So each semester I have a boatload of students trying to get into my class. The ones that email, I can easily write back and say the class is full. If you come in person and take no for an answer immediately, you will get turned away. If you give me some story about how you have to graduate this semester and absolutely have to have this section in order to graduate or it is your dying grandmother's last wish for you to take the class right now or some such thing....I will often (not always) give in and sign the add slip. Also, make sure that you talk to the professor individually and not in front of a group of others also trying to get into the course.

Go to the department and tell them that you need the class for your major and all of the other sections offered conflict with your current class schedule. I'm sure they'll sneak you in.

Take out one of the currently enrolled students

Messy, but effective

Can you go see the professor before and ask to be put on a waitlist or something? So that if a spot opens, you get it? Also, I agree with showing up on the first few days of class. Usually people will drop during the first week, so if you're there every day, you can easily take the spot.

Go to the professor IN PERSON. Show up to the first day of class if necessary. It is very easy to turn down a student via email. Go in person (either on the first day of class or before) and give the professor your sob story about why you really really need this class. Of course you'll annoy the professor, but he/she may likely give in. I know I do. The college at which I teach has a major problem with demand outpacing the number of available seats. So each semester I have a boatload of students trying to get into my class. The ones that email, I can easily write back and say the class is full. If you come in person and take no for an answer immediately, you will get turned away. If you give me some story about how you have to graduate this semester and absolutely have to have this section in order to graduate or it is your dying grandmother's last wish for you to take the class right now or some such thing....I will often (not always) give in and sign the add slip. Also, make sure that you talk to the professor individually and not in front of a group of others also trying to get into the course.

Probably the best advice you can get. Actually GOING to the first few classes and sitting somewhere that the prof can see you (i.e. not in the very back row) helps a lot

Go there with an add/drop slip, push one of the regular students down the stairs so he/she can't speak up during taking roll on the first day, they'll get dropped for not showing up on the first day of class and you'll get their seat. Win win. :p

A bunch of people will probably be dropped automatically before classes start for not paying fees on time -- just wait until then. Keep refreshing the enrollment status page for that class and hopefully you can secure a spot.

My undergrad had what we called a "force-add" form. If you could convince a professor to let you join the classes even though it was full, he/she would sign this form and the registrars office could then put you into an already-full class.

Maybe your school has something like that? Sounds like the general consensus is to talk to your professor first, but I'd also talk to the registrar because sometimes they can't add someone to a full class without persmission from the course professor.

My undergrad had what we called a "force-add" form. If you could convince a professor to let you join the classes even though it was full, he/she would sign this form and the registrars office could then put you into an already-full class.

Maybe your school has something like that? Sounds like the general consensus is to talk to your professor first, but I'd also talk to the registrar because sometimes they can't add someone to a full class without persmission from the course professor.

Mine does this as well. You can be forced into classes.

At my school, you can typically be forced into a class if you go see the professor or your advisor if it is a required course for you.

But for the labs they cannot force more people in because there are safety laws against too many people in the laboratories.

Recently, my school instituted an electronic waitlist, which allowed students to sign up for classes they wanted but is full and then sign up for alternate classes. If a spot opened up in a course that was originally full, the registrar would notify the student and would be allowed 24 hrs to decide what to do. In addition, although the waitlist would be ranked by a first come first serve basis, dept chairs could go down the list and see which students needed the course in order to graduate (i.e. seniors). There has been some conflict between seniors and people who have preferential registration (i.e. athletes, debate team, scholarship winners). So, I actually like this idea of the electronic waitlist because at least you can register for a class you would simply overlook because it was not available. Plus, this allows faculty and the administration to see which classes and/or professors are popular and in demand by students.

If you can, obviously get onto the waitlist. If not, go the first day and talk to the professor. If he/she just says 'no chance,' then go on with your life. If there is a chance, attend lecture each day, prove you are dedicated, and wait until people drop and you can enroll. Good luck.

I've gone and talked to professors in person when I had especially convincing reasons and they raised the limit for me. There wasn't a wait list in place though. I don't think it would've worked if there was a list full of people who would've raised hell.