How to Get out of Pre-med Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yomama'sdoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the end of the app process and I want to go to med school next year. I haven't taken a bunch of pre-med classes. I could take some of them (but i don't want to) and I cannot take others.

Can I ask schools to waive the requirement? How would I go about doing this? Is it common?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at the end of the app process and I want to go to med school next year. I haven't taken a bunch of pre-med classes. I could take some of them (but i don't want to) and I cannot take others.

Can I ask schools to waive the requirement? How would I go about doing this? Is it common?

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So is this a "you got balls, I think it will work :laugh:" or a "you got balls, I'll see you in summer school :laugh:"?

So is this a "you got balls, I think it will work :laugh:" or a "you got balls, I'll see you in summer school :laugh:"?
That's a "You have too much free time on your hands" and need to grow up.

I think they won't waive them... so take them... especially since med school is so competitive and they want to know that you're proficient in science. :)

This is the funniest thread I have ever seen on this forum ROFL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Uh, no, there usually isn't a way to "waive" them, the prerequisites are not optional, and no, it isn't common to do so.

That's a "You have too much free time on your hands" and need to grow up.

Incidentally, I don't have enough free time, which is why i'm asking. I guess i'll take as many as I can, and then write them a nice letter to ask them to waive the rest? Or should I go through a pre-med sdvisor at my school? And who would I send the letter to?

btw- I'm shipping up to Boston is a kickass song.

Incidentally, I don't have enough free time, which is why i'm asking. I guess i'll take as many as I can, and then write them a nice letter to ask them to waive the rest? Or should I go through a pre-med sdvisor at my school? And who would I send the letter to?

Somehow, I doubt this will work. :rolleyes:

I guess i'll take as many as I can, and then write them a nice letter to ask them to waive the rest? Or should I go through a pre-med sdvisor at my school? And who would I send the letter to?

You might as well roll that letter up and smoke it. You're screwed if you don't complete your prereqs. Have fun applying again next year.

How is it that you want to go to med school next year but haven't even taken the prerequisites? What do you mean you 'cannot' take some of them? Is this because you cannot take them until you complete their prerequisites (the ones you 'don't want to' take)?

I am forced to assume you are either a) an annoying troll or b) a fool. Or, perhaps more likely, both. Go back to your troll-hole.

Hey OP, you think I can get my MCAT waived for my top choice? You're one funny guy. If you're already trying to get out of things, med school is probably not the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)

Let me tell you something sunny boy. You cannot find hypotenuse length of any right triangle unless you know Pythagorean theory. There is no school that accepts applicants who didn't finish prerequisites.

I can get into medical school without doing the pre-requisites Mr. Manatee.

ORLY-Manatee-tiny.jpg

...ummm, you are seriouse right? Boy, I guess the rest of the pre-med world has just been wasting their time studying for organic chemistry, huh?

No, it won't work. If you don't believe the folks here, then yes, by all means, go talk to your pre-med advisor.

lol.. ppl are so mean... Love and peace! No, there is no way to WAIVE your pre-reqs, that's why they are called pre-reqs. If you don't take them, you application won't even get to the med schools (AMCAS won't accept your application). It's like med schools won't accept people that are still in elementary school, they also don't accept people who haven't taken their pre-reqs. AND they don't care if you are good or not, they have wayyyy too many applicants who HAVE taken their prereqs to worry about

These guys will seriously help you

post_20030723_reno911.jpg

'Cmon now! This is just sloppy! LAZY! If you're gonna troll, at least put some thought and effort into it. Sheesh. Put your back into it and do some of the heavy lifting.

Give us a challenge! You didn't convince anybody.

Where's the plot? The subterfuge? The thinly veiled insults?

Bahhhh!

*Sunny nods her head and wonders what SDN has come to now that the trolls have gotten too lazy to troll properly*

lol.. ppl are so mean... Love and peace!

Welcome to the Thunderdome.......if you want warm and fuzzy, may I suggest the premed equivalent of The Barney Show (Pre-Osteo)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That elephant seal will match to plastics before the OP gets into med school.
:laugh: I can see the headline now..... "Elephant Seal Achieves Milestone; Whiny Premed Claims Discrimination Against ORS*"

*-Over Represented Species ;)

i know for a fact that there is at least one US allo school that doesn't check :rolleyes:

granted this guy got in off the waitlist at the end of JULY...and it was only phys II/chem II he didn't do

*flame suit on*

:laugh: I can see the headline now..... "Elephant Seal Achieves Milestone; Whiny Premed Claims Discrimination Against ORS*"

*-Over Represented Species ;)

"Elephant seal claims URM status due to grey-brown skin and relatives migrating around the Cape of Good Hope; Pre-med up in arms claiming "That Elephant Seal stole my spot!"

Film at 11

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That elephant seal will match to plastics before the OP gets into med school.

A. I'll take that bet

B. How in the world am I being a troll? I was just asking because I have heard of people doing this. Doesn't everyone want to do this? Consider this a freakin public service announcement

C. :laugh: I'll continue the chain

Velocity of replying to this thread is accelerating ~ it's been only 5 minutes :laugh:

The OP has been successful on trolling so far lol.

cunningplan.jpg

B. How in the world am I being a troll? I was just asking because I have heard of people doing this. Doesn't everyone want to do this? Consider this a freakin public service announcement

:laugh: Just because you're trying to weasel out of obligations, don't assume everyone else is so lazy or lacks the ability to plan ahead accordingly.

OMG. I just wasted like 5 minutes writing a wonderfully eloquent post and my browser backed up (F*** YOU WINDOWS VISTA!) and it disappeared. sadness.

op, if you want it to work, formulate a plan of what you will and will not take and take that as a proposal to your schools. sound confident and have reasons backing things up and it may work for at least a class or two. on that note, i have heard from MANY med students that they have classmates who didn't finish prereqs. why don't you ship on over to the Allo forum and ask them who these kids were and how it worked?
i myself didn't complete 2 prereqs and the schools i have been accepted to have been fine with it. i think many premeds get PSYCHO PISSED when another premed's journey is a little less tedious and arduous... but if you think creatively, man, it might just work out for you! good luck.

:laugh: Just because you're trying to weasel out of obligations, don't assume everyone else is so lazy or lacks the ability to plan ahead accordingly.
because laziness is clearly the ONLY reason pre reqs wouldn't have been done

i love assumptions!

"Elephant seal claims URM status due to grey-brown skin and relatives migrating around the Cape of Good Hope; Pre-med up in arms claiming "That Elephant Seal stole my spot!"

Film at 11
Seal: "My ancestors originally didn't even bellow with an American seal accent! My father was eaten by a great white shark while immigrating to the California coast!"
Premed: "I was too busy doing kegstands to take my prereqs. This is discrimination!"

This is getting to be a very pretty thread with all the pictures.

A. I'll take that bet

C. :laugh: I'll continue the chain

Yes, everyone would like to do this. but, nobody does this because we are smarter than seals... and yeah.. warm and fuzzy is good... especially if you are all going to be doctors and your patient asks you a stupid question, will you show him/her the picture of the seal as well?

I'll waive them for you. However you have to send me a $500 check first.

OMG. I just wasted like 5 minutes writing a wonderfully eloquent post and my browser backed up (F*** YOU WINDOWS VISTA!) and it disappeared. sadness.

op, if you want it to work, formulate a plan of what you will and will not take and take that as a proposal to your schools. sound confident and have reasons backing things up and it may work for at least a class or two. on that note, i have heard from MANY med students that they have classmates who didn't finish prereqs. why don't you ship on over to the Allo forum and ask them who these kids were and how it worked?
i myself didn't complete 2 prereqs and the schools i have been accepted to have been fine with it. i think many premeds get PSYCHO PISSED when another premed's journey is a little less tedious and arduous... but if you think creatively, man, it might just work out for you! good luck.

Thank you!!! This is exactly the kind of advice I wanted (but should not expected) from the pre-allo forum.

No, I am not lazy...but I think there are better classes which broaden my knowledge and will make me a better doctor than a certain pre-med class.

Seal: "My ancestors originally didn't even bellow with an American seal accent! My father was eaten by a great white shark while immigrating to the California coast!"
Premed: "I was too busy doing kegstands to take my prereqs. This is discrimination!"

Great "Whitey" Sharkkk??? ROFL

Wait a second...I heard of something similar to what the OP posted before...Yes..There is a medical school that waives some prerequisites. The school is called Stewart University School of Medicine (SUSOM). The OP better contact that school.

by the way, I just wanted to say a little:

I TOLD YOU SO!

Clearly, people CAN and DO get out or requirements for LEGITIMATE reasons. Don't be a hater :)

Thank you!!! This is exactly the kind of advice I wanted (but should not expected) from the pre-allo forum.

No, I am not lazy...but I think there are better classes which broaden my knowledge and will make me a better doctor than a certain pre-med class.

Yes, there are better classes that can make you a better doctor and they are called electives! Your pre-reqs are still your pre-reqs. And maybe some schools might be lazy enough not to check your transcript. But, you cannot count on that, as your chances of getting into med school will definetly decrease (almos to zero). And while many people might have waived specific classes, it is also because they took a similar class that taught the same material. For example, if you are a BME, you can waive out of most bio pre-reqs because you have to take a lot of bioengeneering classes that cover basic molecular biology, physiology, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.