How to get promoted in the Navy

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by exPCM, Dec 14, 2008.

1. exPCM

exPCM Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  2. DrMetal

DrMetal To shred or not shred?
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow, that's something else. and a phd in what??? I'm afraid we're going to have more of these situations as people continue to get these bs degrees from the various degree-mills that have spurted up over the past 10 years (and they particularly like to take advantage of military-folk). Funny thing is I used to think it was just the enlisted that were getting taken for a ride . . .turns out high ranking officers are just as gullible!

3. i want out

i want out Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They aren't gullible, its called "plausible deniability" if there is any plausible way you can play dumb when it comes out, then try to get away with it, and another favorite military phrase "proceed until aprehended"

This type of stuff is not limited to the Navy either

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/06/airforce_murphy_trial_062608w/

is a link to an AF times article in the series about how the Top JAG in the AF had been disbarred for 20 some years and still managed to get promoted all the way up the chain.

As for the Navy, Honor Courage and Comittment are just words to try to work into your fitrep between the degrees from diploma mills.

i want out (of IRR)

4. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did a quick search of the degree programs. Century University is certainly a diploma mill. LaSalle University is real, I can't find a law school. Northeastern is real. How is the MA a fake degree? Are there any investigations going into the Surgeon General?

My favorite line from the article: In interviews, Arthur acknowledged that in the early 1990s he took "some courses from two places that are unaccredited." He said LaSalle had given him papers indicating the school had been accredited. "I could say I was naive, but I was 40 years old. And I didn't understand completely what was going on."

I'm 27. I must be hopeless.

Edit: La Salle is real, LaSalle is not.

#5 deuist, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  6. backrow

backrow 60% of the time it works everytime
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe the news report is saying he didn't get an MA, he took some classes towards it, but didn't finish the program.

I doubt there will be any formal investigation into it since he is now retired.

7. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

He could say he didn't understand completely what was going on?
    From the senior-most officer in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps? That is more than risible, it's plain laugh-out-loud ridiculous. Believe me, you know when you are applying for a degree from a diploma mill versus a real and accredited institution. You know when the place you are getting a "degree" from in "law" isn't legitimate when you aren't taking any classes or tests comparable to a what is required for a real law degree. You know when a "Ph.D." you "earned" came after paying a fee and doing no work comparable to a dissertation or having to defend your work. This was duplicity of the most brazen and idiotic kind, and it was done to secure promotions over others and with that salary and retirement payment increases. It doesn't matter how good a job he did as SG, he submitted false credentials and presented a knowingly false public face, with his claims to having earned advanced degrees--professional degrees, no less--that he really had not earned. You might even say he conspired with convicted felons to obtain them. That is offensive and deceptive on its face.

I agree with others who have posted that he should be recalled to active duty and face charges for conduct unbecoming an officer. And if he thinks what he has done is OK, let him be defended by a graduate of the same law school he graduated from.

8. DrMetal

Resident [Any Field]
    and degree collecting doesn't necessarily get you promoted in the Navy. are most surgeon generals just MDs? maybe they picked up an MPH somewhere, but they're certainly not MDPhdJDs?!

I wonder why he felt the need to acquire so many degrees.

now I'd go back and look into each one of his ribbons/medals, make sure he earned them. hopefully NCIS or someone has already done so.

article sais he's the CEO of some hospital in PA, so apparently they like him in the civilian world as well!

9. Galo

Galo Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Great post.

Just goes to show once again the central theme that keeps coming up. Mediocrity is rewarded.

I'm sure at the hospital he is working he did not dare place those credentials, as they actually check them civilian.

10. DrMetal

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, but they must've had his military bio, in which he did previously list those credentials . . and they must've done a full background check on the guy, right? you can't just walk into CEO job at a hospital, or can you?! apparently the guy was really good at selling himself, on mil and civilian sides.

11. a1qwerty55

a1qwerty55 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Embarrasing and sad.

This is going to continue to be a problem as online "universities" keep popping offering advanced degrees. Touro anyone.
    Ultimately it shows a total lack of integrity as any professional should realize if you didn't do the work to the same rigor and intensity as others, you shouldn't even consider claiming the degree.

Kinda like strip mall DO schools. (I couldn't help it):laugh:
    It's a joke so DO's don't freak