How to get the deposit back ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to get the deposit back from a school (2000$) ?
I'm sure we should have some regulations or something to prevent schools to charge us for nothing.
It's not like they don't get anyone else ... there are plenty of others applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Deposits are non refundable... If they havent cashed the check call your bank and stop the payment.

Sounds like Touro College NY...

edit: or Touro Univ I guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Deposits are mostly non-refundable. I know one that's half-refundable. The problem is with you, if you didn't understand the terms before you shelled out $2000.

It is probably better that they do charge. If they didn't some people would hold spots to one or more schools all summer while they hem and haw about where they want to go. It would leave the schools and waitlisters scrambling at the last minute before schools starts more than they already do. At least with a deposit, you really have to think about it if you are going to hold a spot. Plus you didn't get nothing for your money. You paid $2000 for an insurance policy in case you didn't get into any other school.

This is about Touro in CA. I know it's non-refundable or at least schools says so. But the question is if it's legal or not. If you rent an apartment or even sign a job contract you almost always agree to some conditions that's not legal and when you're terminating the contract then you can get back some money that you shouldn't get according to the contract. But you should know the Law ;)

For me it seems unfair that one school start interviewing people in October , much earlier than all others and asks you to pay 2000$ immediately before you have even a chance to get answers from other schools. Plus no other schools ask you for such a big deposit. It should be no more than 500$ I think.

So if there is a Law that may help you to get that money back then I'd like to know it ;)

P.S. Do not compare it with insurance companies because you paid them a little so they can pay for you much more in case of problems. The school gives you NOTHING for the deposit and they don't loose anything if you dismiss your application - they will find another applicant anyway.

This is about Touro in CA. I know it's non-refundable or at least schools says so. But the question is if it's legal or not. If you rent an apartment or even sign a job contract you almost always agree to some conditions that's not legal and when you're terminating the contract then you can get back some money that you shouldn't get according to the contract. But you should know the Law ;)

For me it seems unfair that one school start interviewing people in October , much earlier than all others and asks you to pay 2000$ immediately before you have even a chance to get answers from other schools. Plus no other schools ask you for such a big deposit. It should be no more than 500$ I think.

So if there is a Law that may help you to get that money back then I'd like to know it ;)

P.S. Do not compare it with insurance companies because you paid them a little so they can pay for you much more in case of problems. The school gives you NOTHING for the deposit and they don't loose anything if you dismiss your application - they will find another applicant anyway.

If they haven't cashed the check yet, just cancel the check. if they've already cashed it, you're out of luck. I don't really see anyway you can get the money back as most schools state that this is non-refundable. You can try to come up with a really good excuse, but the school has no reason to give you back your money.

It's stated very clearly on the website and various documents that it is non-refundable. When you sign off on your application you agree to the terms stated in the application, one of which is the deposit.

I do agree its rather crappy, but I highly doubt you're going to be the one to find the legal loophole that others have missed over many many years.

And two grand is WAY too much for a deposit. That is nuts in its own right.

Take a lesson, people: reschedule the interview dates for your less desirable schools later.

As stated earlier, imagine trying to run a school where people are constantly dropping out and having to find others to fill those seats, especially if it's literally days before class starts. Big deposits will discourage that behavior.

Besides, everyone here knows most of these schools are just businesses out to make money. Still, throwing away $2,000 for no gain is still nothing to scoff at so if you wrote them a check, consider calling your bank before it clears.+pity+

You stated the example of apartments. When you terminate a lease early, you lose your security deposit. That is legal. So is this. Basically it's a contract that you chose to enter, with its terms fully disclosed to you.

My personal opinion: I would be cautious if a school required a 2K deposit. That really is a bit much. So many of these private schools demand a high price. I wonder why?

The reason why they do such a high tuition is so people don't flip flop and act like Brett Favre and take forever to decide if they want to go there or not.

It's not like you lose the money if you choose to go to the school. The money is applied to your tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why they do such a high tuition is so people don't flip flop and act like Brett Favre and take forever to decide if they want to go there or not.

It's not like you lose the money if you choose to go to the school. The money is applied to your tuition.

it kind of sucks though, if you apply to a rolling admissions school (which generally if you apply early, you find out your acceptance early). i apped to a rolling admissions school which forced me to put down my deposit of 1000$ in early january when my interviews for other schools weren't even until february-april. 1000$ down the drain :(

I agree, lot of Brett Favres in this thread. You gotta pay to play. otherwise only apply to schools you are 100% committed to going to.

I agree, lot of Brett Favres in this thread. You gotta pay to play. otherwise only apply to schools you are 100% committed to going to.

haha but you can't go to EVERY school you apply to, unless you only apply to one.

just gota pray that the first school u get into is high on your list, so you dont waste too much money on other schools, i wasted only $750, and i can get 10% of it back so not too bad i guess

I just submitted my application to the schools farther down my list much later. It worked out because I got my acceptance to my first choices before I even had my interviews for the other schools, so I canceled those. One schools I just waited until the last minute before submitting my supplemental (until I got offered an interview at a top choice). Man, it wasn't easy to play the game but I guess you gotta plan that way. Originally, I was pissed to be put on a waitlist but it turned out I am not going there so I didn't "waste" 500 bucks. But yeah, a thousand or more bucks is just crazy. I understand the 300- 700 range, but 1000?

Maybe if you cry and threaten to hurt yourself, they'll feel pity and give back the deposit.

Last edited:
Think about this group: denied applicants. They are willing to pay thousands to get ur seat. Plus, remember that deposit is applied to ur tuition if u attend. So it's perfectly legal. By turning down the school later , I think u are the one who breaches the contract. U should feel happy that they have not sued you!

Non-refundable means........................

NON-REFUNDABLE

Most private colleges are for-profit schools that are in the business of making money. You knew (or should have known) what the policies were before you applied to the school. Your whining is embarrassing and juvenile.

If you apply earlier, you generally have a better shot of getting in.

Downside? Deciding whether or not to pay the deposit before you hear back from other schools.

Like other posters have said, this is to prevent people from wasting the school's time, not to mention making it more convenient for other people who are trying to get into the school. Since every school requires some form of deposit, your $2000 lost, means someone else might save $500/$1000. Why? Because they now know whether or not they're going to get into the $2000 deposit school PRIOR to having to drop a deposit at another less desirable school.

It's embarrassing to see you whining about these charges which were very clear up front. Not to mention if you got your way, it'd screw over other people or make the pharmacy schools lose money due to lost students, forcing them to up their tuition or something similar.

Some people talk like they should be pitied for having to lose a deposit. Almost everyone here had to make a decision like that at some point. And a good majority have had to loose their deposits too. It's part of applying. It's made very clear from the get-go.

You paid them $2000 so you wouldn't have to sit out a year if you didn't get in anywhere else. It would have cost you $100,000 or more in lost wages if that had happened to you. You got a sense of security for that price which isn't exactly NOTHING. If you didn't think that was worth it then why didn't you just take the risk and not put down the deposit on a school that you didn't want to attend anyway?

I don't think there is a law anywhere that could help you. The lawyer fees alone would be more than the $2K you would be getting back. I hate to say it, but this seems like a case of "buyer beware."

Speaking of legality.... wouldn't putting a hold on the check be illegal? They fulfilled their end of the contract by holding a spot for you. You are the one backing out on your end. So couldn't the school decide to sue you for breach of contract when the check didn't clear? I guess I am lucky I didn't have to pay any deposit at all since my school waves it if you went there as an undergrad.

Speaking of legality.... wouldn't putting a hold on the check be illegal? They fulfilled their end of the contract by holding a spot for you. You are the one backing out on your end. So couldn't the school decide to sue you for breach of contract when the check didn't clear? I guess I am lucky I didn't have to pay any deposit at all since my school waves it if you went there as an undergrad.

School should be at some fault to. You should never assume a check is good. That's why they should have tried to cash the check first and then held the spot for them. If you work at a store, you don't just take a check without checking to see if they have enough funds to pay for items.

School should be at some fault to. You should never assume a check is good. That's why they should have tried to cash the check first and then held the spot for them. If you work at a store, you don't just take a check without checking to see if they have enough funds to pay for items.

Stores used to do that, it wasn't until people starting abusing it that they started verifying checks first. Even now, most stores (around here at least) just make sure your account number isn't blacklisted, the check itself can still bounce.
It's not the school's fault when someone decides to not pay them. Is it a store's fault for not stopping a shop lifter? They had the chance to stop them, but since they didn't, it's got to be the stores fault and not the shop lifter right?

cancel the check if they haven't cashed it yet!